• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Stained-Glass Ceiling: Would America Vote for a Non-Christian?

BDBoop

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
'Obama Is Muslim' Rumors Raise Question: Is there a Christian Litmus Test for Politicians in America? - ABC News

Didn't want to see this get buried in the "1 in 5" thread.

For some reason, Tom Minnery (Senior Vice President, Focus on the Family) feels that "It is Important for candidates to have a biblical world view," Minnery said. "A view that says there is right and wrong and good and evil and the rights come from a creator. And that is God, not government. Those are key beliefs."

:shock:

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: ABC News Politics; "Obama Muslim Rumors" Excellent Article

Well there shouldn't be.

I will say the same thing I said in the other thread. I could careless the religion, but how the politician acts. That being said as a nation I do feel we look for a Christian president. I mean look at how on the campaign trail candidates will bring up their faith.

I will say the same thing I said in the other thread. I could careless the religion, but how the politician acts. That being said as a nation I do feel we look for a Christian president. I mean look at how on the campaign trail candidates will bring up their faith.

The main point they brought up that really hit home with me is that "so what if he were" muslim. Would that be such a terrible thing? I'm not going to answer either way except to say that if he is, then he lied about being Christian and yeah, that would be a bad thing.

However, I don't believe he did.

The article also made the point about what lengths President Kennedy had to go to, to make sure everybody understood that his faith would have no bearing on his policies.

Shouldn't be what?

A christian litmus Test for Politicians. Or any other such test for any religion.

A christian litmus Test for Politicians. Or any other such test for any religion.

Just from a curiosity perspective; did you read the article?

The main point they brought up that really hit home with me is that "so what if he were" muslim. Would that be such a terrible thing? I'm not going to answer either way except to say that if he is, then he lied about being Christian and yeah, that would be a bad thing.

However, I don't believe he did.

The article also made the point about what lengths President Kennedy had to go to, to make sure everybody understood that his faith would have no bearing on his policies.

Yeah I know. I agree with the article in that case so what about religion. It would be disheartening for him to say he was meaning he lied about being a Christian.

Just from a curiosity perspective; did you read the article?

Yes, I did. It speaks to how important religion is and has been, but I don't think it should be, and tht any sort of test would be fruitless. The artcile doesn't call for one by any means, but the quote you selected suggested such, to which I disagree.

But because so many Americans want to believe their leaders share a same belief system, too many play the part. How much they play is debatable, but it would be hard to prove anyone's faith. Merely saying they are among the faithful is hardly proof. This is why I doubt all of the rhetoric use by politicians to pronounce their Christan verifiables.

So, there should be no test or the question even asked.

Yes, I did. It speaks to how important religion is and has been, but I don't think it should be, and tht any sort of test would be fruitless. The artcile doesn't call for one by any means, but the quote you selected suggested such, to which I disagree.

That's why I added the :shock: emoticon, because what he was saying seemed SOOOO not what the Founding Fathers had in mind.

This is breaking news. The actual title should be in the title space not your personal opinion.

That's why I added the :shock: emoticon, because what he was saying seemed SOOOO not what the Founding Fathers had in mind.

We agree. ;)

Not now, Religion seems to be slowly on the way out though. Maybe an Agnostic or Atheist person say 30-40 years from now. Which is actually much sooner than what most would expect but science is on the verge of discovering just exactly how life started. If we find a biological answer to the question then I don't see what use there would be for people to believe in God thus accelerating the spread of Atheism in the world.

They voted for Obama.

That means America voted for a non-Christian.

I disagree in part.

Now is not the time to have the muslim president we have. There's a large number of terrorist exporting Islamic states that are determined to harm America, and we need a president who's allegiance we can trust. The voters put the wrong guy in the White House for sure.

For some reason, Tom Minnery (Senior Vice President, Focus on the Family) feels that "It is Important for candidates to have a biblical world view," Minnery said. "A view that says there is right and wrong and good and evil and the rights come from a creator. And that is God, not government. Those are key beliefs."

Shows just how far civilization has advanced the last 2 thousand years.

ricksfolly

They voted for Obama.

That means America voted for a non-Christian.

No, it really doesn't mean that.

Look a member of the 1 in 5! :roll:

I could only wish those birds were more rare.

I've addressed this before in another thread a couple months ago.

If this is the scenario:

1. Candidate A claims to be a Christian, but is for almost everything I'm against, and against almost everything I'm for....

2. Candidate B is an athiest, or muslim, or bahi, or Zarathrusan, or whatever... but his political agenda is almost exactly in line with mine...

I'm voting for Candidate B.

Now, a different scenario...

Candidate 1 and Candidate 2 are both about equal in my viewpoint, in terms of their political agenda and competence... but Candidate 1 says he is a Christian and his background supports that statement, while Candidate 2 is something else (Muslim, atheist, whatever}...
I'm voting for Candidate 1. Absent any other great distinction between the two, Candidate 1 will be more likely to understand and share my world-view and beliefs and it is one more thing we have in common.

Capiche?

Also, I have no idea why anyone would have a problem with this.

Last edited:

And here's another thing, since everyone's on a kick about defending rights to do things, absolutely . . .

When the curtain in the voting booth closes (figuratively, I suppose, in most cases these days), it's no one else's damn business what makes anyone flip a lever for whomever he/she chooses. People vote they way the vote for whatever reason they like. That's the way it works.

Depends on what political faction your talking about. If your trying to win the Religious Right, Social Conservatives and Pat Buchanan crowd yea and not only that you have to be right sect. Romney was a big example of that in the last election, the whole Mormon thing bothered them. JFK was another example, he had to prove that he wasnt going to take orders from the Pope since he was a Catholic.

'Obama Is Muslim' Rumors Raise Question: Is there a Christian Litmus Test for Politicians in America? - ABC News

Didn't want to see this get buried in the "1 in 5" thread.

:shock:

A person whom does not have a common set of moral, ethical and shared experiences will have a hard time getting people to vote for them. As long as a majority of American's believe in God to one extent or another I find it hard to believe an agnostic or atheist could win the WH. Well, an open Agnostic/Atheist.

We don't get to know these people on a personal level, having a shared experience, or reference, like the Bible, helps tremendously in understanding the person.... well at least it does on paper.

I think what is revealing is that a Jewish candidate seems to have less opposition than an Evangelical according to that poll. America would definitely vote for a non-Christian, but that is not the end of it. Some religion and beliefs are more tolerated than others. I think an atheist could be elected, provided said person was not a militant atheist and if a person practiced Buddhism I think there would be more acceptance than if the person practiced Islam.

Back
Top Bottom