• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Stained-Glass Ceiling: Would America Vote for a Non-Christian?

I think that most politicians think of religion as one more hoop they have to jump thru to get elected.

'Obama Is Muslim' Rumors Raise Question: Is there a Christian Litmus Test for Politicians in America? - ABC News

Didn't want to see this get buried in the "1 in 5" thread.

For some reason, Tom Minnery (Senior Vice President, Focus on the Family) feels that "It is Important for candidates to have a biblical world view," Minnery said. "A view that says there is right and wrong and good and evil and the rights come from a creator. And that is God, not government. Those are key beliefs."

:shock:

The only problem with Tom Minnery's suggestion is that they want the candidate to have a biblical world view, but don't care if they are qualified in the areas they need to be in order to lead the country. I'm sure Tom Minnery and James Dobson would be perfectly happy with Sarah Palin as President, even if she were to alienate every country with her smart ass talk. We don't need a President to protect us from sinning - we need a President to protect us from our enemies and ourselves!

Percent of people who say they would refuse to vote for members of particular groups:

Catholic - 4%
Black - 5%
Jewish - 7%
A woman - 11%
Hispanic - 12%
Mormon - 24%
Married for the third time - 30%
72 years of age - 42%
A homosexual - 43%
An atheist - 53%

Some Americans Reluctant to Vote for Mormon, 72-Year-Old Presidential Candidates

Moral of the story: Don't run for president if you're an old gay atheist.

Last edited:
I seriously doubt that a lot of politicians who claim to be true Christians actually are.

I seriously doubt that a lot of politicians who claim to be true Christians actually are.

Nobody's a "true" anything.

I suggest the very idea of what's "true" varies widely from person to person.

Percent of people who say they would refuse to vote for members of particular groups:

Catholic - 4%
Black - 5%
Jewish - 7%
A woman - 11%
Hispanic - 12%
Mormon - 24%
Married for the third time - 30%
72 years of age - 42%
A homosexual - 43%
An atheist - 53%

Some Americans Reluctant to Vote for Mormon, 72-Year-Old Presidential Candidates

Moral of the story: Don't run for president if you're an old gay atheist.

I wonder what it looks like if you break down homosexual into lesbian and homosexual male.

A life lived in fear is a life unlived.

I don't live in fear, if that is what you mean.

I don't like fear mongering and that would be one reason why I would vote against those that use fear mongering.

I don't live in fear, if that is what you mean.

I don't like fear mongering and that would be one reason why I would vote against those that use fear mongering.

Good... Now if the other voters could find their balls, we can finally get out of Iraq and Afghanistan with no survival politics repercussions.

ricksfolly

Re: ABC News Politics; "Obama Muslim Rumors" Excellent Article

Would America vote for a non-Christian?

That's really irrelevant. The United States has already elected a muslim to the White House.

That's really irrelevant. The United States has already elected a muslim to the White House.

Ha,ha! Birthers have already jumped the shark.

They voted for Obama.

That means America voted for a non-Christian.

Obama is a Christian. You must get your news from Faux?

Ah ha, another Gullie who blindly believes Beck and all the other right wingers... Fortunately there aren't near enough to make a difference...

ricksfolly

For the record, nobody really believes that Obama is a Muslim. They know he is Christian. What we see are two phenomenon common to politics. The first is that people know that it pisses off Obama supporters to claim that Obama is a Muslim. The second is that a lot of people want to believe that Obama is a Muslim, and wanting to believe it tends to be the same as believing it when it comes to politics.

Obama is a Christian. You must get your news from Faux?

Christians won't betray the nation they swore an oath to protect.

Also, Obama was raised as a muslim, not a Christian.

Welcome to the real world.

For the record, nobody really believes that Obama is a Muslim. They know he is Christian. What we see are two phenomenon common to politics. The first is that people know that it pisses off Obama supporters to claim that Obama is a Muslim. The second is that a lot of people want to believe that Obama is a Muslim, and wanting to believe it tends to be the same as believing it when it comes to politics.

For the record, I'm not "nobody", and clearly the Messiah, who was raised by muslims in a muslim nation, was naturally raised as a Southern Baptist who watched the 700 Club every day.

Makes perfect sense.

facepalm_implied.jpg

We don't get to know these people on a personal level, having a shared experience, or reference, like the Bible, helps tremendously in understanding the person.... well at least it does on paper.

What would you learn by knowing somebody is a Christian? I mean after all, Christians in America commit murder, rape, robbery and engage in sodomy, extra-merital affairs, child molestation etc just like everyone else. What does knowing a person is a Christian tell you about their upbringing and who they are? I mean even on paper is a stretch. I can say I follow the teachings of the Buddha but on paper that doesn't mean anything.

'Obama Is Muslim' Rumors Raise Question: Is there a Christian Litmus Test for Politicians in America? - ABC News

Didn't want to see this get buried in the "1 in 5" thread.

For some reason, Tom Minnery (Senior Vice President, Focus on the Family) feels that "It is Important for candidates to have a biblical world view," Minnery said. "A view that says there is right and wrong and good and evil and the rights come from a creator. And that is God, not government. Those are key beliefs."

:shock:

While there should not be my sense is that there is. Even a Mormon which is a Christian would have a hard time getting elected. It was not that long ago that JFK was able to be elected as a Catholic.

I believe there may be quite a few dummies on the right that actually believe he is a Muslim. Heck, we have birthers claiming still that he was born in Kenya even after their leaders in the House of Representatives almost unanimously signed a bill claiming that Obama was born in Hawaii. Were they lying? Why would they elect liars? Some of them will be re-elected, so we know that either they don't care that their leaders lie, or they don't really believe that Obama was not born in Hawaii, themselves.

They don't like Obama, some because he is black and it goes against their racist beliefs, and another is that he is a Democrat. Saying that he is Muslim, Kenyan, or whatever else they come up with is just their way of venting and releasing some of that hot air that has built up over the years!

Obama hasn't betrayed the nation. Is that the garbage they are spewing on Faux nowadays? Nothing new!

Obama attended a Christian church for 20 years, got married in a Christian church, why are conservatives so dense?

I live in the real world, your world is Fantasyland, where everyday you get a dose of "fear mongering" - don't come out, the world is going to explode any moment, now! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom