• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

St Louis flooding made more likely by global warming/climate change

watsup

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
“Record-breaking rainfall that caused flash flooding in the St. Louis area Tuesday morning, leaving cars trapped on streets, causing road closures and at least one death, is not just a freak occurrence: It’s a manifestation of human-caused climate change. By 7 a.m. Central time, rainfall since midnight averaged between 6 and 10 inches around the region.

THAT KIND OF SATURATION HAS BEEN MADE MORE LIKELY BECAUSE WARMER AIR NOLDS MORE WATER AND CAUSES MORE WATER TO EVAPORATE, and it’s happening more frequently as a result.

“In recent years, a larger percentage of precipitation has come in the form of intense single-day events,” the Environmental Protection Agency said. “Nine of the top 10 years for extreme one-day precipitation events have occurred since 1996. The prevalence of extreme single-day precipitation events remained fairly steady between 1910 and the 1980s, but has risen substantially since then.”

So while the Southwest suffers through a 20-year megadrought — the driest two decades in the region in at least 1,200 years — it has also experienced a 10% increase in the heaviest precipitation events between 1956 and 2016, according to the U.S. Global Change Research Program.

Other regions are seeing more dramatic storms and experiencing more frequent and severe flooding. The Midwest has 42% more heavy precipitation events per year than it did 60 years ago, and the Northeast is seeing 55% more.

This is yet another example of how CLIMATE change affects WEATHER. The two are clearly tied together.

My cat vomited the biggest hairball ever.

Climate cultists: it's related to climate change!

You win the prize for constantly making the dumbest posts in this forum. Congrats!
Do you disagree with that portion of the OP in CAPITAL LETTERS? Why so?

Don't worry. It's too late to do anything about it anyways.

You win the prize for constantly making the dumbest posts in this forum. Congrats!
Do you disagree with that portion of the OP in CAPITAL LETTERS? Why so?
You win the prize for constantly making the most retarded threads ever.

LOL your capital letters say : MORE LIKELY.

It's also more likely that aliens will land in Des Moines within the next 20 years. :ROFLMAO:

Don't worry. It's too late to do anything about it anyways.
LOL Im not worried since Im not in the cult.

You win the prize for constantly making the most retarded threads ever.

LOL your capital letters say : MORE LIKELY.

It's also more likely that aliens will land in Des Moines within the next 20 years. :ROFLMAO:

LOL Im not worried since Im not in the cult.

First sentence: psychological projection.

Shedding more because of the heat.

DERP!!!

Reactions: PoS
No its because increasing population leads to more people living in fertile flood plain areas . Climate change (as you would like to portray it) has nothing to do with it :unsure:
It is easy to see climate change, when every weather event becomes evidence of climate change!;)

LOL thanks for admitting your projection! :ROFLMAO:

Cat is a hairless breed.

Double DERP!
You claimed hairballs and now you claim it's a hairless cat?

So was the first post a lie or the second, 'cause we know for sure one was.

No its because increasing population leads to more people living in fertile flood plain areas . Climate change (as you would like to portray it) has nothing to do with it

There was very little in the OP regarding human casualties (ONE death). Rather, here was the key: “THAT KIND OF SATURATION HAS BEEN MADE MORE LIKELY BECAUSE WARMER AIR HOLDS MORE WATER AND CAUSES MORE WATER TO EVAPORATE, and it’s happening more frequently as a result.”

A result of global warming due to human-produced CO2 is that warmer air holds more water and thus can DUMP more water. This results in more frequent extreme flooding events. This is just science. Do you not agree with clear science?

You claimed hairballs and now you claim it's a hairless cat?

So was the first post a lie or the second, 'cause we know for sure one was.
Still cant understand sarcasm, can you? Oh well, thats you! :ROFLMAO:

No its because increasing population leads to more people living in fertile flood plain areas . Climate change (as you would like to portray it) has nothing to do with it :unsure:

You can build infrastructure and make plans to reduce the risk of flooding in those areas. That at the same time it becomes much harder and costlier then climate change make floods and much more severe. There it can also be no plans for such events because before they would have been so unlikely. From my previous link.

"Global warming increased the likelihood and intensity of the floods that ravaged Germany and Belgium in July, claiming more than 200 lives and causing billions of euros worth of damage, according to a study by leading world scientists released on Tuesday."

I looked at the picture of the flooding along I-70, and see a poor use of K-rails causing the water to accumulate.
Weather conditions, can and do sometimes cause training of storms, and when that happens a log of rain falls in a short
time window. Places that design their systems for say 5 inches of rain in 25 hours, flood if they get 8 inches in 24 hours.
Paved areas, prevent ground absorption, and force runoff to collect in the drainage systems.
I suspect this is more of a land use change problem than a climate change problem.
1659094517350.png

What bothers me is the stupidity of those who equate climate change to only human activity. And then, only focus on temperature and greenhouse gasses.

Those who started usining the term "climate change" so frequently are intentionally dumbing down society to suit their agenda.

Too bad they don't plan for such 100 year events. Storm sewers aren't adequate when things like this happen. Land use changes are the primary cause of flooding, because nobody planned for it.

Weather patterns change, naturally, and to automatically blame it on AGW is a moronic knee-jerk reaction.

However, I do wonder how much the large scale wind farms are now changing weather patterns.

Reactions: PoS
First sentence: psychological projection.
Saying psychological projection seems to be the only think you know how to do. Maybe you should learn a bit about the sciences.

Agreed.

Less natural ground absorption.

Rainwater channeled to insufficient storm sewers.

This equated to an avoidable disaster, that what effectively planned.

It is easy to see climate change, when every weather event becomes evidence of climate change!;)
And ever time the cultists make a deal of it, then I have the oppertuinity to see dumb indoctrinated people.

What bothers me is the stupidity of those who equate climate change to only human activity. And then, only focus on temperature and greenhouse gasses.

Those who started usining the term "climate change" so frequently are intentionally dumbing down society to suit their agenda.

Too bad they don't plan for such 100 year events. Storm sewers aren't adequate when things like this happen. Land use changes are the primary cause of flooding, because nobody planned for it.

Weather patterns change, naturally, and to automatically blame it on AGW is a moronic knee-jerk reaction.

However, I do wonder how much the large scale wind farms are now changing weather patterns.

Rant.

Agreed.

Less natural ground absorption.

Rainwater channeled to insufficient storm sewers.

This equated to an avoidable disaster, that what effectively planned.

Nine inches of rain due to the ability of warmer air to hold more moisture. Please pay better attention.

Back
Top Bottom