• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

SSK Industries "Fat Mac" .95 JDJ Rifle

Glitch

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I stumbled across this rifle and felt compelled to share it with others. As far as the Gun Control forum is concerned, the ATF has listed any firearm capable of firing a caliber larger than .50 caliber must be federally registered as a "destructive device." However, apparently SSK Industries managed to get a specific waiver from the BATFE to allow their .95 caliber to be sold as a "hunting" rifle. Which means that this beast may be bought and sold like any other rifle on the market today, no special licenses are required. I'm not sure what you would hunt with a rifle like this, since it would be more than capable of stopping even a Tyrannosaurus Rex.

950 JDJ.jpg

Doing some research into the rifle gave me conflicting information and the only thing they had in common was the diameter of the bullet, 0.95 inches. Everything else I learned about both the rifle and ammunition was different, depending on the source, so I will include both the highest and lowest of the values I found, as well as the sources for this information.

Bullet Weight : 2,400 grains to 2,600 grains​
Velocity : 2,100 FPS to 2,200 FPS​
Muzzle Energy : 23,505 foot-pounds (31,869 Joules) to 27,947 foot-pounds (37,891 Joules)​

To give you an idea of how much power that is, it requires 9.8081 Joules of energy to lift 1 kg off the ground. Using the highest values for the round, it is capable of lifting 3,863 kg (8,516 pounds) off the ground. This round has about 2.5 times the energy of a .50 caliber BMG.

It is a single-shot bolt-action rifle. The rifle weighs between 50 and 110 pounds, with a felt-recoil of 277 pounds (125.6 kg), so it is not a rifle for the weak. That is equivalent to firing ten .3006 caliber rifles simultaneously.

The ammunition is made from a 20mm Vulcan case, trimmed down to a 70mm case length and widened to 24.13mm to accommodate the bullet. The round uses 240 grains of H110, and costs anywhere from $40 to $60 per round. By comparison, my overloaded (10% beyond red-line) .44 rounds that I keep for bear and moose defense are loaded with 24.4 grains of H110.

Sources:

Last edited:
It's a useless wall hanger.

Reactions: lwf
This is supposed to be a gun control forum. The moderators allow off-topic threads ...

Hmmmm.

I can see where a person that is timid and cowardly could be reassured (falsely) by having something like that in their closet.

I wont be needing one though. Big ol' orbs make it unnecessary.:)(y)

This is supposed to be a gun control forum. The moderators allow off-topic threads ...

Criticizing moderator actions is surely off topic in this forum.

Should knock a few people on their asses after firing.

I stumbled across this rifle and felt compelled to share it with others. As far as the Gun Control forum is concerned, the ATF has listed any firearm capable of firing a caliber larger than .50 caliber must be federally registered as a "destructive device." However, apparently SSK Industries managed to get a specific waiver from the BATFE to allow their .95 caliber to be sold as a "hunting" rifle. Which means that this beast may be bought and sold like any other rifle on the market today, no special licenses are required. I'm not sure what you would hunt with a rifle like this, since it would be more than capable of stopping even a Tyrannosaurus Rex.

View attachment 67415533

Doing some research into the rifle gave me conflicting information and the only thing they had in common was the diameter of the bullet, 0.95 inches. Everything else I learned about both the rifle and ammunition was different, depending on the source, so I will include both the highest and lowest of the values I found, as well as the sources for this information.

Muzzle Energy : 23,505 foot-pounds (31,869 Joules) to 27,947 foot-pounds (37,891 Joules)​

To give you an idea of how much power that is, it requires 9.8081 Joules of energy to lift 1 kg off the ground. Using the highest values for the round, it is capable of lifting 3,863 kg (8,516 pounds) off the ground. This round has about 2.5 times the energy of a .50 caliber BMG.

It is a single-shot bolt-action rifle. The rifle weighs between 50 and 110 pounds, with a felt-recoil of 277 pounds (125.6 kg), so it is not a rifle for the weak. That is equivalent to firing ten .3006 caliber rifles simultaneously.

The ammunition is made from a 20mm Vulcan case, trimmed down to a 70mm case length and widened to 24.13mm to accommodate the bullet. The round uses 240 grains of H110, and costs anywhere from $40 to $60 per round. By comparison, my overloaded (10% beyond red-line) .44 rounds that I keep for bear and moose defense are loaded with 24.4 grains of H110.

Sources:

Advertising gimmick, for the most part.

Should knock a few people on their asses after firing.
I use to own a Remington .458 Win. Mag, the largest caliber rifle Remington makes. It had a 60 pound felt-recoil. I could only manage to put a maximum of five rounds down range before I couldn't take it any longer. It was like being hit in the shoulder with a sledge hammer. That was while I was wearing two Past pads and had a towel stuffed between them. At 6'-7" and 250 pounds I'm not a small guy. One round from this rifle would be all I would be able to handle, and I would probably regret even that.

I use to own a Remington .458 Win. Mag, the largest caliber rifle Remington makes. It had a 60 pound felt-recoil. I could only manage to put a maximum of five rounds down range before I couldn't take it any longer. That was while I was wearing two Past pads and had a towel stuffed between them. At 6'-7" and 250 pounds I'm not a small guy. One round from this rifle would be all I would be able to handle, and I would probably regret even that.

But it has a muzzle brake on it.

Are you SURE you know what you're talking about?

Advertising gimmick, for the most part.
It is certainly overkill, no matter what its intended purpose. People describe large caliber handguns, like the Casull .454 and the .50 caliber, as "hand cannons." I think this rifle qualifies as a "shoulder cannon."

Nobody designated you as a mod
Stop playing mod
A50C3A2E-CD16-4BFA-A33A-AE18C5DE5B16.jpeg

i see the thread as being about natural gun control

this ain't no pocket pistol

the chances of being shot by this type of weapon is extraordinarily low

You won't be able to shoot accurately if you're expecting a punch when you pull the trigger.

View attachment 67415533

Sources:

Love SSK industries. It's in my hometown of Wintersville OH. J.D. Jones was a good friend. I have a 7mm whisper and a 6.5 JDJ, both TC Contenders he made.

You never know when you might be facing that rare sauropod stampede. ;)

T-rex is .577 and it knocks folks three feet backwards.

Can't even guess what shooting .95 is gonna be like.

T-rex is .577 and it knocks folks three feet backwards.

Can't even guess what shooting .95 is gonna be like.

I feel their pain! I truly do.

The only way I could tolerate five consecutive rounds from a Remington .458 Win. Mag was by using TWO Past pads and stuffing a towel in between them, and even then you had to make sure you pull the rifle really hard into your shoulder, keep a very tight grip with your non-trigger hand, and lean into the shot if you are not already prone. This .95 cal. behemoth has more than 4.5 times the felt-recoil of my .458. You are not going to be firing this weapon from a standing or kneeling position, and it will always need to be braced.

I feel their pain! I truly do.

The only way I could tolerate five consecutive rounds from a Remington .458 Win. Mag was by using TWO Past pads and stuffing a towel in between them, and even then you had to make sure you pull the rifle really hard into your shoulder, keep a very tight grip with your non-trigger hand, and lean into the shot if you are not already prone. This .95 cal. behemoth has more than 4.5 times the felt-recoil of my .458. You are not going to be firing this weapon from a standing or kneeling position, and it will always need to be braced.
I don't think I could do 5 consecutive of .458.

We had an M82 for a while but decided it was overkill and went back to the M40 .308.

View attachment 67415533

Sources:

I'm assuming that the excuse for it's existence is "in case you need to stop a charging rhino in one shot".

But I suspect it's overkill even for that.

And the real reason is "firing large caliber rounds = fun for some".

Back
Top Bottom