• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

SS agent says Cheney was drunk.

H

hipsterdufus

A Secret Service Agent has stated that Cheney was "clearly inebriated" when he shot Whittington in the face. If you look at it, why else would Cheney not allow the sheriff to talk to him the next day? Why would he have a cocktail after the shooting rather than go to the hospital? Just because sheriff Buford T Pussar says there was no wrong-doing doesn't make it so.

Cheney has already admitted to "a beer" (try that with a cop one day.) Maybe he meant one kind of beer. :roll:

With the heart medication that Cheney is on, even one beer could impair him more than the normal Joe sixpack.

Secret Service agents say Cheney was drunk when he shot lawyer
By DOUG THOMPSON
Feb 22, 2006, 07:35

Secret Service agents guarding Vice President Dick Cheney when he shot Texas lawyer Harry Whittington on a hunting outing two weeks ago say Cheney was "clearly inebriated" at the time of the shooting.
Agents observed several members of the hunting party, including the Vice President, consuming alcohol before and during the hunting expedition, the report notes, and Cheney exhibited "visible signs" of impairment, including slurred speech and erratic actions.

According to those who have talked with the agents and others present at the outing, Cheney was drunk when he gunned down his friend and the day-and-a-half delay in allowing Texas law enforcement officials on the ranch where the shooting occurred gave all members of the hunting party time to sober up.

We talked with a number of administration officials who are privy to inside information on the Vice President's shooting "accident" and all admit Secret Service agents and others say they saw Cheney consume far more than the "one beer' he claimed he drank at lunch earlier that day.

"This was a South Texas hunt," says one White House aide. "Of course there was drinking. There's always drinking. Lots of it."

One agent at the scene has been placed on administrative leave and another requested reassignment this week. A memo reportedly written by one agent has been destroyed, sources said Wednesday afternoon.

Cheney has a long history of alcohol abuse, including two convictions of driving under the influence when he was younger. Doctors tell me that someone like Cheney, who is taking blood thinners because of his history of heart attacks, could get legally drunk now after consuming just one drink.

If Cheney was legally drunk at the time of the shooting, he could be guilty of a felony under Texas law and the shooting, ruled an accident by a compliant Kenedy County Sheriff, would be a prosecutable offense.

But we will never know for sure because the owners of the Armstrong Ranch, where the shooting occurred, barred the sheriff's department from the property on the day of the shooting and Kenedy County Sheriff Ramon Salinas III agreed to wait until the next day to send deputies in to talk to those involved.

Sheriff's Captain Charles Kirk says he went to the Armstrong Ranch immediately after the shooting was reported on Saturday, February 11 but both he and a game warden were not allowed on the 50,000-acre property. He called Salinas who told him to forget about it and return to the station.

"I told him don't worry about it. I'll make a call," Salinas said. The sheriff claims he called another deputy who moonlights at the Armstrong ranch, said he was told it was "just an accident" and made the decision to wait until Sunday to investigate.

"We've known these people for years. They are honest and wouldn't call us, telling us a lie," Salinas said.

Like all elected officials in Kenedy County, Salinas owes his job to the backing and financial support of Katherine Armstrong, owner of the ranch and the county's largest employer.

"The Armstrongs rule Kenedy County like a fiefdom," says a former employee.

Secret Service officials also took possession of all tests on Whittington's blood at the hospitals where he was treated for his wounds. When asked if a blood alcohol test had been performed on Whittington, the doctors who treated him at Christus Spohn Hospital Memorial in Corpus Christi or the hospital in Kingsville refused to answer. One admits privately he was ordered by the Secret Service to "never discuss the case with the press."

It's a sure bet that is a private doctor who treated the victim of Cheney's reckless and drunken actions can't talk to the public then any evidence that shows the Vice President drunk as a skunk will never see the light of day.

http://www.capitolhillblue.com/artman/publish/article_8184.shtml

Hey, hipster. You forgot to say that your source is called The Rant: Commentary from the founder of CapitolHillBlue. Here's what your OpEd piece says:

"According to those who have talked with the agents and others present at the outing, Cheney was drunk...."

So, an unidentified person spoke with another unidentified person? This is the best The Rant can do? :lol:

Move along, folks. Other than a liberal's jealous desperation, there is nothing to see here.

Last edited:
hipsterdufus said:
A Secret Service Agent has stated that Cheney was "clearly inebriated" when he shot Whittington in the face. If you look at it, why else would Cheney not allow the sheriff to talk to him the next day? Why would he have a cocktail after the shooting rather than go to the hospital? Just because sheriff Buford T Pussar says there was no wrong-doing doesn't make it so.

Cheney has already admitted to "a beer" (try that with a cop one day.) Maybe he meant one kind of beer. :roll:

With the heart medication that Cheney is on, even one beer could impair him more than the normal Joe sixpack.

http://www.capitolhillblue.com/artman/publish/article_8184.shtml

If we ar going to use anything for a source and expect everyone to take it serious then I want these sources seen as credible by all you leftist.

http://www.stoptheaclu.org/

http://www.exodus-international.org/

http://www.exodusglobalalliance.org/

jamesrage said:
If we ar going to use anything for a source and expect everyone to take it serious then I want these sources seen as credible by all you leftist.

http://www.stoptheaclu.org/

http://www.exodus-international.org/

http://www.exodusglobalalliance.org/
Your first link is an anti ACLU site. I looked through it, but could not find any reference to the issue that is being discussed. This might be good for discussion in another thread, but is irrelevant here.

Your second link is an anti gay site. I also looked through this one, but could find no reference to the issue that is being discussed. Like your first link, this one is also irrelevant to this discussion.

Sorry, but you third link appears to be broken, so I cannot comment on it.

The links you have posted could be used in legimate discussion on their own merit for the appropriate forum or thread, but are just not applicable here. Do you have a link which refutes the accusation made here? It should not be hard to find. I actually found one myself, but I do not intend to do your own footwork for you.

Ball is in your court now.

Last edited:
danarhea said:
Your first link is an anti ACLU site. I looked through it, but could not find any reference to the issue that is being discussed. This might be good for discussion in another thread, but is irrelevant here.

Your second link is an anti gay site. I also looked through this one, but could find no reference to the issue that is being discussed. Like your first link, this one is also irrelevant to this discussion.

Sorry, but you third link appears to be broken, so I cannot comment on it.

The links you have could be used in legimate discussion on their own, but are just not applicable here. Do you have a link which refutes the accusation made here? It should not be hard to find. I actually found one myself, but I do not intend to do your own footwork for you.

Ball is in your court now.

The point I was trying to illistrate with those links is bias,not if they apply to the subject of this thread.

It's America people. Feel free to use whatever link you like.

I have suspected all along that Cheney was drunk. His actions after the shooting point to that conclusion. Now we have a story that may confirm this. As Drudge would say - developing.

We'll never have a breathalizer test because he wouldn't let the Sheriffs in to see him until the next day. What hubris and arrogance. This administration thinks that they are above the law on so many counts, this is just one unfortunate example.

The next time you get pulled over by a cop and are asked to take a breathalizer test, use the Cheney defense. Come see me after I sober up....

jamesrage said:
The point I was trying to illistrate with those links is bias,not if they apply to the subject of this thread.
Then it is up to you to counter that bias with evidence of your own. Just saying that there is bias without providing your own rebuttal is weak.

You are not a dumb guy, and I know you can do better. I already found a link to a Conservative site, which argues the point he made. You should find it.

BTW, I had posted on this issue before. Cheney WAS drinking, but the jury is still out on whether he was under the influence. The reference I found was that Cheney had a mixed drink hours before the shoot. That by itself would not indicate that Cheney was drunk, but in my honest opinion, having alcohol of any kind on the day of a shoot is dumb.

danarhea said:
Then it is up to you to counter that bias with evidence of your own. Just saying that there is bias without providing your own rebuttal is weak.
That is ridiculous. You want hipster's OpEd piece countered with another OpEd? This gets us nowhere. How about hipster start a thread with credible news rather than partisan commentary? And there is no "jury out" on his drinking or anything else for that matter. The case was closed.

danarhea said:

You are not a dumb guy, and I know you can do better. I already found a link to a Conservative site, which argues the point he made. You should find it.

BTW, I had posted on this issue before. Cheney WAS drinking, but the jury is still out on whether he was under the influence. The reference I found was that Cheney had a mixed drink hours before the shoot. That by itself would not indicate that Cheney was drunk, but in my honest opinion, having alcohol of any kind on the day of a shoot is dumb.

Wow one beer with lunch,according to this liberal site.
http://thinkprogress.org/2006/02/15/cheney-drinking.

KCConservative said:
That is ridiculous. You want hipster's OpEd piece countered with another OpEd? This gets us nowhere. How about hipster start a thread with credible news rather than partisan commentary? And there is no "jury out" on his drinking or anything else for that matter. The case was closed.

According to the link Hipster posted, a secret service agent says Cheney was drunk. According to the article, Cheney's blood alcohol test was impounded. According to the article, public officials are covering up Cheney's alleged drunkenness. I say alleged, because I am not convinced.
Those are serious charges. That is not an opinion. It is an accusation. Surely, there must be something out there that rebuts that accusation. There is something there to be found, and it is up to those who disagree to find it. Merely accusing Hipster of bias wont cut it..... Well, actaully, it will cut it if you can find the proper material to rebut it. Just because Hipster says so doesnt make it so. That is why he provided a link. Same with you and others. Just saying something is so doesnt make it so. Where is your rebuttal evidence? Hint: There is something out there. All you have to do is find it.

jamesrage said:
Wow one beer with lunch,according to this liberal site.
http://thinkprogress.org/2006/02/15/cheney-drinking.
Actually, a single mixed drink at lunch. Interestingly enough, you didnt have to go to a Conservative site to find it either. You used the Liberals' own web site.

Now you have some meat in your argument. It will now be up to Hipster to debate this and somehow prove that Cheney drank more than a single mixed drink that day, and prove that what Cheney drank did not impair his shooting ability and judgment. Good job. Like I already said, you are not a dumb guy.

Hipster - The ball is in your court now.

danarhea said:
According to the link Hipster posted, a secret service agent says Cheney was drunk. According to the article, Cheney's blood alcohol test was impounded. According to the article, public officials are covering up Cheney's alleged drunkenness. I say alleged, because I am not convinced.
Those are serious charges. That is not an opinion. It is an accusation. Surely, there must be something out there that rebuts that accusation. There is something there to be found, and it is up to those who disagree to find it. Merely accusing Hipster of bias wont cut it..... Well, actaully, it will cut it if you can find the proper material to rebut it. Just because Hipster says so doesnt make it so. That is why he provided a link. Same with you and others. Just saying something is so doesnt make it so. Where is your rebuttal evidence? Hint: There is something out there. All you have to do is find it.

So what, I hope they all get shot, hunting trapped birds, who the hell cares? No one there was forced to go hunting, and no one has made a law that says you can't drink while doing it! This is just pure bull***, and everyone who has hunted knows it! The fun of going hunting is the drinking, and the interaction with other drunk idiots, this is just ridiculous!:roll:

danarhea said:
Actually, a single mixed drink at lunch. Interestingly enough, you didnt have to go to a Conservative site to find it either. You used the Liberals' own web site.
The information the liberal site uses alledgly comes from Fox News.

Now you have some meat in your argument. It will now be up to Hipster to debate this and somehow prove that Cheney drank more than a single mixed drink that day, and prove that what Cheney drank did not impair his shooting ability and judgment. Good job. Like I already said, you are not a dumb guy.

Hipster - The ball is in your court now

The liberal site I use says he had a beer at lunch,the liberal site he uses alledges that a secret service agent is allegeding that Cheney is a drunk.

I been drunk enough times to know that one beer does not impare you if you are a hard core drunk and that one mixed drink is the equavilent to one beer..If he drank the beer or mixed drink slowly then he definately was not impared.Texas has six point,the Budweiser cans have the Texas state on their beer cans instead of hte AB logo.
budweiser800.gif

jamesrage said:
The information the liberal site uses alledgly comes from Fox News.

The liberal site I use says he had a beer at lunch,the liberal site he uses alledges that a secret service agent is allegeding that Cheney is a drunk.

I been drunk enough times to know that one beer does not impare you if you are a hard core drunk and that one mixed drink is the equavilent to one beer..If he drank the beer or mixed drink slowly then he definately was not impared.Texas has six point,the Budweiser cans have the Texas state on their beer cans instead of hte AB logo.

Actually, they stole that logo from the Lone Star brewery. :)

danarhea said:

Hipster - The ball is in your court now.

Here is how the story on Cheney's alleged drunkenness got into Capitol Blue's hands. They have broken several important stories over the past few years, they've also been wrong too.

I can't prove that Cheney was drunk yet. Why? Because he didn't let the sheriff in to see him until the next day. He didn't take a breathalizer test. He didn't go to the hospital with his friend.

Everything in my gut tells me that this delay was perpetrated to hide the fact that Cheney got drunk and shot two guys. Remember he has 2 DUI's already and is on medication that heightens the effect of alcohol.

Yeah, we could be making all this stuff up
By DOUG THOMPSON
Feb 23, 2006, 00:06

Whenever we get a story ahead of other news outlets the naysayers crank up to full crescendo and accuse us a variety of transgressions - usually revolving around the claim that we "made the whole thing up."

A lot of that came over the electronic transom and dominated the partisan bulletin boards Wednesday with our report that secret service agents said Vice President Dick Cheney was drunk when he gunned down friend and lawyer Harry Whittington in a hunting "accident" last week.

It wasn't a story we went looking for. A friend who works in the Bush administration tipped us on the report late last week and I started making phone calls. By late Tuesday, I had all I needed to go with the story: three sources that said a Secret Service Agent filed a report claiming Cheney had consumed several drinks and "appeared inebriated" while hunting on the Armstrong Ranch on February 11.

In light of other events that we and others had already documented on that day, the report made sense: A day-and-a-half delay in reporting the shooting to the press; the refusal by owners of the Armstrong ranch to allow the Kenedy County chief deputy on the property on the day the "accident" occurred and the strange decision by the county sheriff to not interview witnesses until the next day.

Running with the story brought the usual chorus of boo-birds, the armchair commandos who dominate the partisan bulletin boards, claiming that I sit up here in my mountaintop home and just make these things up.

In reality, I could be doing just that. But why should I? The bizarre antics of the Bush administration provide far more interesting fodder for stories than anything my imagination could possibly conjure up.

Despite what the naysayers claim, we get it first and get it right. We reported on Bush's temper tantrums a full year before it appeared in Newsweek. We revealed Bush's executive order allowing the National Security Agency to spy on Americans on June 7, 2004 -- 18 months before the New York Times printed the story. Last week we revealed President Bush ordered Vice President Cheney to go public about his hunting "accident." Time got around to it a few days later. I have no doubt that more information about Cheney's drinking will surface down the line and confirm what we reported Wednesday.

We're human and we do make mistakes, but when we do we admit them, which is a lot more than most media outlets ever do.

So what possible motive could I have to subject myself, and this web site, to the barrage of abuse that comes from the prickly partisans whenever I raise the curtain of corruption on their favorite sons?

Some say it's because I'm a liberal, which shows what little they know. How many liberals are card-carrying members of the National Rifle Association or worked for conservative members of Congress like Manuel Lujan Jr. or the 1984 Reagan-Bush re-election campaign?

Others claim the stories are drunken hallucinations, which might make sense if I weren't a recovering alcoholic who hasn't had a drink since June 6, 1994. Still others say it's drugs. Yeah, Tylenol arthritis pain formula, Zestril hypertension medication and Johnson & Johnson baby aspirin are real mood-altering drugs.

And still others claim I'm a bitter, lonely old man living out his final days lashing out at others. I could let my wife answer that one, or the student photographers I mentor or the young people I work with on various projects. I'm too busy with a full, enjoyable life to come up with an answer myself.

Frankly, I don't give a damn what the naysayers think. I've served my country more than once to preserve democracy and try and make this nation a better place to live. I've worked within the political system in Washington and tried to change it for the better from the inside. While others talked about change, I worked with real lovers of America to make it happen. While others talked about doing, we did.

Others talk about truth as if it were some divine providence of a political party or philosophical organization. Truth is non-partisan. It crosses party lines and follows no philosophical path.

We **** off partisans from both sides because we follow the truth wherever it leads. We don't give a damn who gets mad or who gets exposed. We don't apply different rules to different parties and all are held to the same standards.

We don't play favorites. Never have, never will. And we don't have to make this stuff up. The truth is far more interesting, even if the partisans don't want to believe it.
http://www.capitolhillblue.com/artman/publish/article_8187.shtml

Enjoy all the OpEd pieces. Enjoy speculating. Enjoy discussing what is "in your gut." Enjoy dragging out another dead liberal scandal. Knock yourselves out. The Sheriff's Department said the case is closed. End of story.

Having not been there, I don't know for sure what happened no more than any of you other yahoos.

But I am SURE of a couple of things.

1. If he was drunk, we will never find out about it.

2. Any SS who states Cheney was drunk will be looking for a new job. I suspect their taxes will be closely scrutinized and a world of hurt awaits them. Anyone who crosses this administration is in for a bad time.

3. Cheney could be pi ss drunk and the Pope could be telling us about it and STILL some folks in here will attack the messenger.

Was he drunk? Who knows? I don't doubt it. It kinda adds up when you put 2 and 2 together. But unless we're positive, which we are not, it's a mute point now.

Captain America said:
2. Any SS who states Cheney was drunk will be looking for a new job.

Excellent point.

Very very interesting. I just don't see Cheney as a big drinker; however, I found it strange that after returning to the Armstrong ranch, he fixed himself a mixed drink. Katharine Armstrong adamantly denied that there was any drinking, even at lunch, and even Cheney admitted to having a beer. To me, she was "protesting too much." There could be something to this story.

Some people are willing to lose their jobs to bring out the truth. I would be one of them.

When your entire story is based on the proverbial 'unidentified sources', and is an op-ed on an obvious biased site, (just look at the neutral titles to the rest of the articles!!), no one in their right mind is going to give it credence.
It smacks of bullshit, and if something looks like bullshit, and smells like bullshit, you shouldn't need to eat it to discover it is bullshit.

Blue Collar Joe said:
When your entire story is based on the proverbial 'unidentified sources', and is an op-ed on an obvious biased site, (just look at the neutral titles to the rest of the articles!!), no one in their right mind is going to give it credence.
It smacks of bullshit, and if something looks like bullshit, and smells like bullshit, you shouldn't need to eat it to discover it is bullshit.

It amuses when reporters use unidentified sources.How can a unidentified source be seen as having credibility if all the info is based on what a individual allegedly saw and we do not know if this individual is nor can we vaerify if what he said was true?I would think a SS agent would be fired( as one poster already pointed out) for revealing certian information about the individual whom they are supposed to be protecting.

So we are to believe for a second that Secret Service agents would allow the VP let alone other people to be around him in the procession of guns while they are drunk and that one would admit to this knowing that he would be fired on the spot if not arrested for dereliction of duty.

By the way even the cite you proved asked "who is this Thompson guy" who reports this without one named source.

Just how desperate are you guys going to get?

danarhea said:

Actually a beer and you think for a second the Secret Service would allow ANYONE who is drunk to be in the pocession of a gun around the VP? Use your head man.

Stinger said:
Actually a beer and you think for a second the Secret Service would allow ANYONE who is drunk to be in the pocession of a gun around the VP? Use your head man.

How naive. Do you think ANYONE in this country tells Mr. Go F Yourself and his posse what to do, including the SS? Cheney was kicked out of college for drinking and has 2 DUI convictions. Do you think it's so far-fetched, so out of the realm of possibility,that he might have been drunk at the time of the shooting?

Last edited:
hipsterdufus said:
How naive. Do you think ANYONE in this country tells Mr. Go F Yourself and his posse what to do, including the SS? Cheney was kicked out of college for drinking and has 2 DUI convictions. Do you think it's so far-fetched, so out of the realm of possibility,that he might have been drunk at the time of the shooting?

How idiotic to believe the SS would allow anything of the sort to happen.

Back
Top Bottom