• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Spying on the Leader of Another Country.....

MMC

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
Should Hollywood Stars or Private Citizen be allowed to Spy on another leader of a Country? What would happen if other private citizens decided they wanted to spy on other citizens here. Or those who are Stars or have money and wealth? What if someone paid money to have a satellite watch you?

George Clooney Spends Nespresso Paycheck On Spy Satellite To Keep Tabs On Omar Al-Bashir.....

Lucy-Siegle-blog-about-Ne-008.jpg

George Clooney is spending a recent handsome paycheck on an endeavor that might surprise those who know more about Clooney's love life than his espionage activities.

The "Gravity" actor told the Guardian that he's spending "most" of the cash he earns from appearing in commercials for Nespresso on a spy satellite aimed at Sudan. Allow Clooney to explain:

Most of the money I make on the [Nespresso] commercials I spend keeping a satellite over the border of North and South Sudan to keep an eye on Omar al-Bashir [the Sudanese dictator charged with war crimes at The Hague]. Then he puts out a statement saying that I'm spying on him and how would I like it if a camera was following me everywhere I went and I go 'well welcome to my life Mr War Criminal'. I want the war criminal to have the same amount of attention that I get. I think that's fair.

Clooney's humorous take on the situation shouldn't be mistaken for glibness on the actor's part. The Satellite Sentinel Project, Clooney's spy program, tracks the movements of Sudan's brutal army and attempts to warn civilians in advance of attacks. The 52-year-old was also arrested last March in a protest at the Sudanese embassy in Washington D.C. At the time, Clooney told The Huffington Post that the goal "is the same goal it's been all along and will continue to be and not be accomplished today or anytime in the near future, but it's a job that we have to continually do which is raise attention.".....snip~

George Clooney Spends Nespresso Paycheck On Spy Satellite To Keep Tabs On Omar Al-Bashir

Here is one of the Commercials that George is making for Nespresso Coffee. Which he is using the money from the Commercials to Spy on Sudan and the Leader of Sudan.

Nestle is also planning to source Fairtrade-certified coffee from an additional 7,000 small scale farmers in Colombia. It may be – nobody from Fairtrade International would be drawn – that Nespresso is asked or persuaded to contribute to a Fairtrade fund at some point in the way that Starbucks has contributed EURO1 million to the Fairtrade Access Fund, a provider of midscale loans. It seem likely that eventually there will be a Fairtrade-branded Nespresso product. That might be the moment NSAB Clooney finally gets his day in one of those commercials.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/blog/2013/jul/17/george-clooney-nespresso-coffee-ad

Last edited:
Should Hollywood Stars or Private Citizen be allowed to Spy on another leader of a Country? What would happen if other private citizens decided they wanted to spy on other citizens here. Or those who are Stars or have money and wealth? What if someone paid money to have a satellite watch you?

George Clooney Spends Nespresso Paycheck On Spy Satellite To Keep Tabs On Omar Al-Bashir.....

George Clooney is spending a recent handsome paycheck on an endeavor that might surprise those who know more about Clooney's love life than his espionage activities.

The "Gravity" actor told the Guardian that he's spending "most" of the cash he earns from appearing in commercials for Nespresso on a spy satellite aimed at Sudan. Allow Clooney to explain:

Most of the money I make on the [Nespresso] commercials I spend keeping a satellite over the border of North and South Sudan to keep an eye on Omar al-Bashir [the Sudanese dictator charged with war crimes at The Hague]. Then he puts out a statement saying that I'm spying on him and how would I like it if a camera was following me everywhere I went and I go 'well welcome to my life Mr War Criminal'. I want the war criminal to have the same amount of attention that I get. I think that's fair.

Clooney's humorous take on the situation shouldn't be mistaken for glibness on the actor's part. The Satellite Sentinel Project, Clooney's spy program, tracks the movements of Sudan's brutal army and attempts to warn civilians in advance of attacks. The 52-year-old was also arrested last March in a protest at the Sudanese embassy in Washington D.C. At the time, Clooney told The Huffington Post that the goal "is the same goal it's been all along and will continue to be and not be accomplished today or anytime in the near future, but it's a job that we have to continually do which is raise attention.".....snip~

George Clooney Spends Nespresso Paycheck On Spy Satellite To Keep Tabs On Omar Al-Bashir

I'm in the "Who Cares?" camp. Good for him that he puts his money where his mouth is. I don't know enough about the Sudan situation to comment on the reasons for this; but his goal seems lofty...to warn of impending attacks on civilians.

I'm in the "Who Cares?" camp. Good for him that he puts his money where his mouth is. I don't know enough about the Sudan situation to comment on the reasons for this; but his goal seems lofty...to warn of impending attacks on civilians.

Hiya Maggie. :2wave: At first I was the same like you. But then I kept thinking. Well what if many started doing this. Sure some could do what Clooney is doing. But what about when done to other US Citizens. By other US Citizens. Privacy laws.....with what little is left to them.

As well as.....isn't there some law now that affects Civilians and their ability for watching other Leaders and or Governments.

How much are they paying him?

How much are they paying him?

Heya Observer. :2wave: They didn't say.....just that all the money he gets from those commercials all goes to the Satellite to Spy on that leader of Sudan and the Country itself.
satellite.png

My thoughts? I think Clooney is strange for doing this. . .so much more he could spend his money on if he wants to be truly helpful.

If he stands a chance of saving some lives by warning people of the movements of a brutal dictator, why not? Besides, calling to attention the goings on in Sudan is a good thing as well.

If he stands a chance of saving some lives by warning people of the movements of a brutal dictator, why not? Besides, calling to attention the goings on in Sudan is a good thing as well.

Heya DH. :2wave: Yeah but Isnt there some sort of laws about Civilians Spying on other Country's Leaders and or their Government? Also If he can do this with those overseas. He could also do it with someone here in the US.

Or others could do it.....which then would affect privacy laws. (If) they could find out that someone was using a satellite to spy on them.

I dont get it. What does he do with the information that he gets from the spying?

He should really just webcast it 24/7 if he is just looking to annoy the guy.

Heya DH. :2wave: Yeah but Isnt there some sort of laws about Civilians Spying on other Country's Leaders and or their Government? Also If he can do this with those overseas. He could also do it with someone here in the US.

Or others could do it.....which then would affect privacy laws. (If) they could find out that someone was using a satellite to spy on them.

I don't know. Is there such a law? If so, why?

My thoughts? I think Clooney is strange for doing this. . .so much more he could spend his money on if he wants to be truly helpful.

Heya Auntie Mmmmm
hat.gif
.....he does. But he takes all the money from these Commercials to fund this project of his.

Also I would note that issue with the Coffee being South Sudans Chief Export again other than Oil.

Which Nestlé's is looking to corner that market there.

Well, I would think so as to not allow Civilians to create some sort of National Incident.

or international incident.

This idea does raise some interesting questions: Is it illegal to spy on foreign leaders? If it isn't against US law, is it against the law of the nation being spied upon? If it is, can a US citizen be extradited to the nation that is the subject of the spying? Does it matter whether it is a rogue nation like Sudan? What if someone decided to spy on Francois Hollande or David Cameron?

I don't know the answers to the above, you understand, but they are some interesting ones that could create a real conundrum for the US.

According to this, it must be legal for citizens to act as spies, as the DHS is recruiting them to do just that:

Homeland Security officials in Delaware are hoping to enlist citizens as spies for the state by encouraging them to use a new app which allows smartphone users to attach pictures of “suspicious” vehicles or persons and send them directly to the federal government.​

but, reading through the article, I'm not sure just how credible the story is.

or international incident.

This idea does raise some interesting questions: Is it illegal to spy on foreign leaders? If it isn't against US law, is it against the law of the nation being spied upon? If it is, can a US citizen be extradited to the nation that is the subject of the spying? Does it matter whether it is a rogue nation like Sudan? What if someone decided to spy on Francois Hollande or David Cameron?

I don't know the answers to the above, you understand, but they are some interesting ones that could create a real conundrum for the US.

Exactly.....I was asking some of those very same questions. Which would be different that any of our Government Agencies actually spying. How could the civilian disavow if they were caught? What consequences could come from another Foreign Country should they find out?

Back
Top Bottom