• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Spud Fit Challenge day 99 - BLOOD TEST RESULTS & weigh in day & filming

Re: Spud Fit Challenge day 99 - BLOOD TEST RESULTS & weigh in day & filming

Ya but when China was poor and people ate very little animal protein and starchy rice was something like 80% of their caloric intake it was said that they were some of the healthiest people on the planet. What kind of carbs, how much of it you eat, when you eat it, and what you eat with it all seem to matter. The American custom of not accepting any answer that is not an easy answer does not work here.

EDIT: I note that the traditional Zen Monastery meal was almost all rice and pickled vegetables.

East Asian peasants were also traditionally known for being all of five foot nothing, and tending to weigh a rather scrawny, and stringy, 100 or so lbs. Compare them to people from societies with diets which were relatively high in animal protein, like many Native American hunter tribes, or the Vikings, who tended to push 6 foot, and pack on much more significant amounts of muscle, and the difference is rather striking.

One can certainly live as a strict vegan/vegetarian, but it's not exactly what anyone would call a "high performance" formula for day-to-day life.

If God had meant us to eat a strictly plant diet he wouldn't have given us incisors.

That is a very good question. He also gave us fire to roast them potatoes and steaks.

Seriously though, too much of a good thing is never...you know...good.
Vegans, vegetarians, and even the rest of us fine folk, have learned to consume a variety of foods to keep a balanced diet.
Gluttons who consume too much of this or that ain't healthy, and neither are those who eat just some taters.

They were tougher than mr potato head and smart enough to not choose a poor diet.
Double win for Shackleton and his crew.

Of course dear Mr. Shackleton got of his ass and worked off all that good stuff.

this guy is living off from nothing but potatoes and getting healthier by the day. you guys said he'd die without meat

Spud Fit Challenge day 99 - BLOOD TEST RESULTS & weigh in day & filming for The Project.

Published on Apr 8, 2016
This year I'm eating nothing but potatoes - Today I'm getting my BLOOD TEST RESULTS!! & weigh in day & filming for The Project.

Who said that he would die without meat?

Unless my estimating is wrong, based on the numbers he was reciting at the beginning of the video, the guy was obese before going on this potato only diet and he has been losing weight on it, which means he reduced calories. The things is, if you are obese and out of shape, ANY diet that results in you losing weight will result in you being healthier than you were. It could be a potato only diet, or a Big Mac only diet or a Snickers only diet. WHen you are obese just losing weight will improve your health. Of course, doing so on a balanced diet will result in you being even MORE healthy. Not that meat is necessary for a balanced diet.

this guy is living off from nothing but potatoes and getting healthier by the day. you guys said he'd die without meat

Spud Fit Challenge day 99 - BLOOD TEST RESULTS & weigh in day & filming for The Project.

Published on Apr 8, 2016
This year I'm eating nothing but potatoes - Today I'm getting my BLOOD TEST RESULTS!! & weigh in day & filming for The Project.

The guy admits that he is eating potatoes because he has a eating disorder.

mysite

There is a huge amount of controversy on this. Seems to me that science should be able to get to the bottom of it, though I have heard that the potato lobby does its best to prevent this from happening. They do have an abnormal amount of power.

There is also the matter that in reality no one eats just a potato, there is stuff put in or on it, often a lot. AND, how it is prepared might make a lot of difference in how the body reacts to it.

I skimmed through the video, does this guy ever tell us exactly how he prepares his potato, and what else he eats with his potatoes?

"What Do You Eat?

A combination of all kinds of potatoes, including sweet potatoes. I use minimal dried and fresh herbs, spices and fat-free sauces (such as sweet chilli, tomato sauce or barbecue sauce) for a bit of flavour. I also use some soy milk when I make mashed potatoes.

What do you drink?

I drink only water and the occasional beer. I don't drink any tea or coffee but I've never liked them anyway.

" mysite

"What Do You Eat?

A combination of all kinds of potatoes, including sweet potatoes. I use minimal dried and fresh herbs, spices and fat-free sauces (such as sweet chilli, tomato sauce or barbecue sauce) for a bit of flavour. I also use some soy milk when I make mashed potatoes.

What do you drink?

I drink only water and the occasional beer. I don't drink any tea or coffee but I've never liked them anyway.

" mysite

Well at least he is mixing in teh sweet potatoes as they have vit A that russet and red potatoes don't have any of.
Still Potatoes have zero Vitamin D or B-12 and very little calcium and low on iron.
So he is going to do a year of no vit d or b-12 low calcium and iron and hardly any protein. not great.

Well at least he is mixing in teh sweet potatoes as they have vit A that russet and red potatoes don't have any of.
Still Potatoes have zero Vitamin D or B-12 and very little calcium and low on iron.
So he is going to do a year of no vit d or b-12 low calcium and iron and hardly any protein. not great.

His main concern seem s to be to retrain his brain to end his food addictions.

From his site: mysite

"My Story

For most of my life I've struggled with my weight. I've tried all sorts of diets and ways of eating, with the familiar story of losing weight and then putting it all back on. Towards the end of 2015 I had a realisation tha​t all these attempts at weight loss were merely treating the symptom of my problem, rather than the cause. I reasoned that the cause was food addiction.

This got me thinking about addictions in general and how addictions are treated. If you have a drug, alcohol or gambling addiction, the best thing you can do is to quit those things cold turkey and to never touch them again. Unfortunately you can't do that with food. My next thought was to try to get as close as possible to quitting food, while still eating a nutritious, healthy diet. If I couldn't quit food entirely, perhaps I could quit all foods except one?

I spent the next few weeks researching, through reading books, watching lectures and documentaries and reading scientific literature. Eventually I settled on the humble spud as the ideal source of my nutrition while I quit all other foods.

I'm hoping that this year I'll be able to retrain my brain to get comfort, pleasure and emotional support from other areas of life. If I'm successful then at the end of the year I'll be less reliant on food and therefore have a better relationship with it.

On this website I'll be documenting my Spud Fit Challenge - my year of eating a potato-only diet. Thanks for visiting!"

His main concern seem s to be to retrain his brain to end his food addictions.

From his site: mysite

"My Story

For most of my life I've struggled with my weight. I've tried all sorts of diets and ways of eating, with the familiar story of losing weight and then putting it all back on. Towards the end of 2015 I had a realisation tha​t all these attempts at weight loss were merely treating the symptom of my problem, rather than the cause. I reasoned that the cause was food addiction.

This got me thinking about addictions in general and how addictions are treated. If you have a drug, alcohol or gambling addiction, the best thing you can do is to quit those things cold turkey and to never touch them again. Unfortunately you can't do that with food. My next thought was to try to get as close as possible to quitting food, while still eating a nutritious, healthy diet. If I couldn't quit food entirely, perhaps I could quit all foods except one?

I spent the next few weeks researching, through reading books, watching lectures and documentaries and reading scientific literature. Eventually I settled on the humble spud as the ideal source of my nutrition while I quit all other foods.

I'm hoping that this year I'll be able to retrain my brain to get comfort, pleasure and emotional support from other areas of life. If I'm successful then at the end of the year I'll be less reliant on food and therefore have a better relationship with it.

On this website I'll be documenting my Spud Fit Challenge - my year of eating a potato-only diet. Thanks for visiting!"

Yea I get that he has some issue he is trying to overcome. IM just saying the humble spud as he puts it, is not the idea source of nutrition as he puts it and going a year without important nutrients could likely take a toll on his health.

Yea I get that he has some issue he is trying to overcome. IM just saying the humble spud as he puts it, is not the idea source of nutrition as he puts it and going a year without important nutrients could likely take a toll on his health.

He doesnt seem to care about that reality though. And he is getting a lot of attention so he is happy. I am sure that he is making good money from his "experiment". AT the end he wil probably get a book deal.

He doesnt seem to care about that reality though. And he is getting a lot of attention so he is happy. I am sure that he is making good money from his "experiment". AT the end he wil probably get a book deal.

You are likely right. I guess its not the first time someone has done something like that.

That is a very good question. He also gave us fire to roast them potatoes and steaks.

Seriously though, too much of a good thing is never...you know...good.
Vegans, vegetarians, and even the rest of us fine folk, have learned to consume a variety of foods to keep a balanced diet.
Gluttons who consume too much of this or that ain't healthy, and neither are those who eat just some taters.

Correct. Even too much air can be bad for a person. Myself, I don't care if people are vegans, vegetarians, smokers, pot heads, meth users, <insert whatever here that doesn't violate another persons rights>. Just don't push it on me. ;)

everyone who scoffs at reducing meat eating. they lie and claim they will get unhealthy without. it's all about selfishness and gluttony.

meat is delish.

Some people care so little about the joys of eating that they would take a daily injection instead and never eat if they could. I am not one of those people. Preparing and eating food as been one of the great joys of my life.

Just had a ham and cheese sandwich and I'm having full metabolic blood work up at the cardiologist in the morning. I'll let you know the results.

FYI Militant Vegan I do not have a blockage problem in my heart.

meat is delish.

Some people care so little about the joys of eating that they would take a daily injection instead and never eat if they could. I am not one of those people. Preparing and eating food as been one of the great joys of my life.

is it worth throwing your health away just to feel grease in your mouth for a few seconds?
are you the guy who said he didn't care if he passed 40 years of age?

Just had a ham and cheese sandwich and I'm having full metabolic blood work up at the cardiologist in the morning. I'll let you know the results.

FYI Militant Vegan I do not have a blockage problem in my heart.

top it off with some bacon and butter the bun

is it worth throwing your health away just to feel grease in your mouth for a few seconds?
are you the guy who said he didn't care if he passed 40 years of age?

I said that I did not expect to make it to 50, that my dad did not, and that I measure life by the amount of joy obtained not how long I live or how much money I accumulate. I have not talked about this here but I have long said that if I was a smoker and someone could prove to me that I would cut 15 years off my life if I smoked from age 15 that I would think about that, I would figure out how much joy I was receiving from smoking and it is very likely that I would pay the 15 years.

For me it has always been quality that I cared about, not quantity.

And just to be clear, I decide for myself.

Buttering the bun has gone out of style, but I still do it sometimes. Growing up my mom always put butter on my sandwiches at lunch, for instance Miracle Whip, butter, bologna, and cheese on Wonder Bread. It was even better when she grilled it, opening it up right at the end to sear the bologna. Sure cholesterol and heart disease was a problem back then, but we have very cheap statin drugs to take care of that now.

Load me up, I am going to use up every bit of this body before I go, and I am going to enjoy it as much as I can.

everyone who scoffs at reducing meat eating. they lie and claim they will get unhealthy without. it's all about selfishness and gluttony.

I havent actually heard anyone say that you will die if you dont eat meat. I think that you are exaggerating, a bit.

Your concerns are negated by comments like this. I am all for eating a healthier diet, ideally consisting of as many veg as possible. But that must remain a suggestion. Living by example, and that includes offering healthy and tasty alternatives, reaches by far more people than hammering it down at all costs.
I don't care if others post pictures of steaks and bacon. It shouldn't matter. Report them if they troll your threads, instead of posting stuff just like it.

Back
Top Bottom