• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Spreading Islam by the Sword

No one made that claim. Why are you playing with a strawman?

I think the question is fair. It is true that the organized Church has innocent blood on it's hands. This is because we did/do not obey the Bible. The Bible clearly condemns violent action.

Jas 4:1 From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members?
Jas 4:2 Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not.
Jas 4:3 Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.

Where as the The Muslims when they kill are actually obeying their scriptures.

Moe

No one made that claim. Why are you playing with a strawman?
You're really good at using this tactic, but it won't fly here. The Christianity religion is defined in the Scriptures. I don't give a damn how someone practiced it for this debate. You show me what I asked for in the Bible. The claim was made, and I'm challenging it.

cool just wondering...I haven't read the Qur'an and it is interesting to hear debate from someone who practices the faith. I know with the bible people often cite the violent passages and take them out of the context of the entire bible, do the same things happen with the Qur'an? When it comes to the violence that seems to be mandated in the Qur'an are there things that negate it later on...someone mentioned a watered down version of the Qur'an used for Americans and new believers...who updates and revises the Qur'an now a days...is it a work in progress?

Just a bunch of questions :) i believe that like true Christians that Muslims are not supposed to be a violent people, but i want to know if it's misinterpretation of the Qur'an that leads to this violence, or is there still more of the book to be written.

I'll try my best to answer them =]

The Qu'ran can be taken out of context alot, this is made more difficult by the fact there is no form of authority within Islam to clarify what the Qu'ran means. Fatwa's can be issued but it doesn't hold as much weight.

I haven't heard of any watered down version, No muslim is allowed to tamper with the text of the Qu'ran and so its form has been preserved over time so there is no updates of the Qu'ran again, another problem especially in this day and age as it restrains reformation of Islam

You're really good at using this tactic, but it won't fly here. The Christianity religion is defined in the Scriptures. I don't give a damn how someone practiced it for this debate. You show me what I asked for in the Bible. The claim was made, and I'm challenging it.

This claim...

Please list for us every verse in the Bible that promotes killing all non-believers until resistance has ended on a global level. Please list for us every verse in the Bible that commands us to kill non-believers as a law.

Was made by you, and no one else.

The Bible does not condone it any more. Islam is a younger religion than Christianity. It has not had time to develop and mature.

The Bible actually never has condoned it. The war against the Canaanite nations had nothing to do with the enforcement of Judaism upon another people. In fact Judaism is a non proselytizing religion. A gentile can convert to full Judaism if they wish but it is a long process of counseling with rabbi's who actually try to talk you out of converting. This is because Judaism is a very complicated and difficult religion to practice in it's true form. Scads of rules, laws etc. We think of the Ten Commandments when we think of Moses but there are actually 613 commandments in the Mosaic law and the practicing Jew believes they are bound by all of these laws plus all the do's and don'ts of the oral traditions etc.

Again the war against the Canaanite nations was a war of justice. This was for the many murders and child sacrifices the Canaanites were guilty of as a people.

Ge 9:6 Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.

This verse states that by man shall his blood be shed. Not by God. At the end of the Canaanite wars the Israelite armies were to be disbanded, If an aggressor nation were to make war against Israel they were to call up their armies again but these military operations had totally different rules of engagement than the war with the Canaanites had. One of them being,

De 20:10 When thou comest nigh unto a city to fight against it, then proclaim peace unto it.
De 20:11 And it shall be, if it make thee answer of peace, and open unto thee, then it shall be, that all the people that is found therein shall be tributaries unto thee, and they shall serve thee.
De 20:12 And if it will make no peace with thee, but will make war against thee, then thou shalt besiege it:

Notice that this offer of peace was not nation by nation but settlement by settlement with the nation that Israel was having problems with. No scorched earth policy.

In any of these future wars, The women and children were to be spared.

De 20:14 But the women, and the little ones, and the cattle, and all that is in the city, even all the spoil thereof, shalt thou take unto thyself; and thou shalt eat the spoil of thine enemies, which the LORD thy God hath given thee.
De 20:15 Thus shalt thou do unto all the cities which are very far off from thee, which are not of the cities of these nations.
De 20:16 But of the cities of these people, which the LORD thy God doth give thee for an inheritance, thou shalt save alive nothing that breatheth:

It is the same for Christianity. We were never intended to be an aggressive religion. In fact we never intended to actually be a full-fledged religion. The earliest Christians called our belief "The Way". It was meant to be a way of life rather than a true religion practiced on certain days through ceremony and ritual. As stated it is true that the organized church has spilled it's fair share of innocent blood. But true, real Christianity is actually responsible for much of what is good in the world today. True Christianity started as a seed in a cruel hostile world of empires, wars of conquest slavery etc were all the rule of the land. If you look at the probabilities Christianity should not have survived. For three hundred years Christianity was illegal. It's followers sentenced to death. We had no armies, We did not fight against our persecutors, Instead we prayed for them. We were a pacifist religion. No true organization etc. And yet this belief grew and spread across the Roman empire.

Then came Constantine's vision. We became the accepted religion of the empire and many say that this was the end of the church. But really it was the beginning. Many believe the church became corrupted at this time and we became like the pagans. Maybe if you look at it as the glass is half empty that appears to be true but if you look at it as the glass is half full they also became like us. Basically it is the parable of the wheat and the tares. But in this case it is the wheat that choked out the tares. It is through the efforts of true Christians down through the years that slavery became abolished. Schools, Universities and hospitals were built. Empires were dissolved. War seen as something no longer to be desired. It is no accident that the majority of developed nations with the highest standards of living and education with the most freedoms, rights and privileges happen to be Christian nations.

Even some of the non Christian countries are what they are today because Christians nations banded together and stopped the aggressors that would enslave their populations. Christian nations stopped Japanese aggression in the Pacific. Nazi aggression in Europe. Stopped North Korean aggression in the 50's. Brought about the collapse of Russian communism. The Warsaw pact and the Berlin Wall.

It is Christian nations that bring pressure on oppressive regimes to adhere to human rights and abandon the abuse of their peoples. It is Christian nations that send shiploads of humanitarian aide to to impoverished countries.
It is Christian missionaries in those countries who see to it that the world does not forget these people. Many times at the risk of their own personal safety and well being. So all though yes we have our share of the blame for all that is wrong in the world we also have a greater share of the credit for all that is right in the world also

Moe

The Bible actually never has condoned it. ...

Moe

It's not quite so simple. There are passages in the bible that certainly can be read to the contrary in extrolling violence against non-beleivers:

Exodus 21:20 "Whoever sacrifices to any god other than the LORD must be destroyed.

Lev 24:13 "Take the blasphemer outside the camp. All those who heard him are to lay their hands on his head, and the entire assembly is to stone him. 15 Say to the Israelites: 'If anyone curses his God, he will be held responsible; 16 anyone who blasphemes the name of the LORD must be put to death. The entire assembly must stone him. Whether an alien or native-born, when he blasphemes the Name, he must be put to death.

8 O Daughter of Babylon, doomed to destruction, happy is he who repays you for what you have done to us- 9 he who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks. Psalms 137:9

Deuteronomy 7:1-2 - "When the Lord your God brings you into the land you are entering to possess and drives out before you many nations . . . then you must destroy them totally. Make no treaty with them, and show them no mercy"

Deuteronomy 20:10. “As you approach a town to attack it, you must first offer its people terms for peace. 11 If they accept your terms and open the gates to you, then all the people inside will serve you in forced labor. 12 But if they refuse to make peace and prepare to fight, you must attack the town. 13 When the Lord your God hands the town over to you, use your swords to kill every man in the town. 14 But you may keep for yourselves all the women, children, livestock, and other plunder. You may enjoy the plunder from your enemies that the Lord your God has given you."

Now I agree you can discuss each of these in context and explain why they don't require Jews and Christians to go out and destroy non-believers. But if you just look at these passages in isolation, they could be argued to require followers to destroy non-believers.

That is what the anti-Muslim crowd does. They take a few selected passages of the Koran here and there, out of context and ignoring sections that are contrary, and "ah ha!" proof that Muslims are out to conquer the world and slay the infidels.

Last edited:
It's not quite so simple. There are passages in the bible that certainly can be read to the contrary in extrolling violence against non-beleivers:

Exodus 21:20 "Whoever sacrifices to any god other than the LORD must be destroyed.

Lev 24:13 "Take the blasphemer outside the camp. All those who heard him are to lay their hands on his head, and the entire assembly is to stone him. 15 Say to the Israelites: 'If anyone curses his God, he will be held responsible; 16 anyone who blasphemes the name of the LORD must be put to death. The entire assembly must stone him. Whether an alien or native-born, when he blasphemes the Name, he must be put to death.

You are taking these verses out of context. These above verses apply only to the nation of Israel and the Israelites were not forced into the Mosaic covenant. They agreed to it. They had the opportunity to say hey thanks for getting us out of Egypt but this other stuff well we really are not interested.

Ex 19:5 Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine:
Ex 19:6 And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.
Ex 19:7 And Moses came and called for the elders of the people, and laid before their faces all these words which the LORD commanded him.
Ex 19:8 And all the people answered together, and said, All that the LORD hath spoken we will do. And Moses returned the words of the people unto the LORD.

The release of Israel from Egypt had nothing to do with any commitment of the Israeli's to God. They would have been delivered regardless because God was actually fulfilling another covenant that he made with Abraham almost 500 years prior.

Ex 2:24 And God heard their groaning, and God remembered his covenant with Abraham, with Isaac, and with Jacob.

8 O Daughter of Babylon, doomed to destruction, happy is he who repays you for what you have done to us- 9 he who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks. Psalms 137:9

This is the wish of psalmist who has been under bondage to Babylon and has seen the same things happen to his own country and people. He wants revenge. It is not a religious issue. No more than the Afghan invasion after 9/11 was a religious issue.
Deuteronomy 7:1-2 - "When the Lord your God brings you into the land you are entering to possess and drives out before you many nations . . . then you must destroy them totally. Make no treaty with them, and show them no mercy"

Again you take the judgment passed on the Canaanite nations and make it appear that this is the judgment passed on all nations that Israel was to deal with in the future. As stated future wars had rules of engagement different from the Canaanite conquests. The only time these rules were violated was against a city or nation that performed some type of outrage against Israel such as murdering their own civilians as the militant Muslims do today

Deuteronomy 20:10. “As you approach a town to attack it, you must first offer its people terms for peace. 11 If they accept your terms and open the gates to you, then all the people inside will serve you in forced labor. 12 But if they refuse to make peace and prepare to fight, you must attack the town. 13 When the Lord your God hands the town over to you, use your swords to kill every man in the town. 14 But you may keep for yourselves all the women, children, livestock, and other plunder. You may enjoy the plunder from your enemies that the Lord your God has given you." [/I]
Now I agree you can discuss each of these in context and explain why they don't require Jews and Christians to go out and destroy non-believers. But if you just look at these passages in isolation, they could be argued to require followers to destroy non-believers.

As stated previously the above rules were laid out after the Canaanite conquest and Israel's armies were disbanded. Israel was to stay with in its prescribed borders and to make efforts to live peacefully with it's neighbors. The reign of Solomon shows Israel making many covenants and treaties with the surrounding pagan nations and abiding by those agreements
That is what the anti-Muslim crowd does. They take a few selected passages of the Koran here and there, out of context and ignoring sections that are contrary, and "ah ha!" proof that Muslims are out to conquer the world and slay the infidels.

The comments have been posted many times already what the Quran states concerning non Muslims. And if you do not think that the Quran teaches such things then perhaps the world wide slaughter of of innocent men women and children may get your attention. If in the biblical wars can you show where the Israeli armies used their own women and children as human shields?

Here is your peaceful misunderstood Islam. Using children to clear mine fields.
Matthias Küntzel: Ahmadinejad's World
At the time, an Iranian law laid down that children as young as 12 could be used to clear mine fields, even against the objections of their parents. Before every mission, a small plastic key would be hung around each of the children’s necks. It was supposed to open for them the gates to paradise.

Moe

Last edited:
You are taking these verses out of context.

Sure. You can look at these passages which on their face call for the destruction of non-believers and foes in war and explain why they can be interpreted differently.

Why is it fair to suggest that this can be done with the Bible but not the Quoran?

The comments have been posted many times already what the Quran states concerning non Muslims.

Sure. Read a few passages out of context and without explanation and make determinations. But why is that a fair way to read the Quoran, but not the Bible?

And if you do not think that the Quran teaches such things then perhaps the world wide slaughter of of innocent men women and children may get your attention. If in the biblical wars can you show where the Israeli armies used their own women and children as human shields?

No, but I can show you passages where Israelis genocidically slaughtered hundreds of thousands of men, women and babies. Except the virgin girls, who were spared for use by the soldiers.

Here is your peaceful misunderstood Islam. Using children to clear mine fields.
Moe

I'll assume that is true and not some made up propoganda. So what? Does that validate making generalized claims about Islam based on a few isolated selections of the Quoran fair, but not the Bible? If so, shall we examine some of the things Christians and Christian nations have done to determine whether they've acted in a peaceful fashion that justifies different rules for interpreting the books?

Last edited:
I'll assume that is true and not some made up propoganda. So what?

Ok, I think you have stated your full case right here, Even if they are blowing up 12 year olds in mind fields, So what? You do not care what they do. No problem for you.

I think maybe your time would better spent explaining to your Muslim brethren that THEY are misunderstanding their own scriptures rather than trying to convince us,

Were done talking have a nice day

Moe

The oldest excuse in the book is It's "taken out of context"

I have read the Qur,an many times. I have it on my desk in front of me now. I also have the New Testament, and Tanakh.

Then surely you've read these passages in the Quoran:

[2.62] Surely those who believe, and those who are Jews, and the Christians, and the Sabians, whoever believes in Allah and the Last day and does good, they shall have their reward from their Lord, and there is no fear for them, nor shall they grieve.

[5.69] Surely those who believe and those who are Jews and the Sabians and the Christians whoever believes in Allah and the last day and does good-- they shall have no fear nor shall they grieve.

[5.82] Certainly you will find the most violent of people in enmity for those who believe (to be) the Jews and those who are polytheists, and you will certainly find the nearest in friendship to those who believe (to be) those who say: We are Christians; this is because there are priests and monks among them and because they do not behave proudly.

[22:40] And had it not been that Allah checks one set of people with another, the monasteries and churches, the synagogues and the mosques, in which His praise is abundantly celebrated would have been utterly destroyed.

There is no good in much of their secret conferences save (in) him who enjoineth almsgiving and kindness and peace-making among the people. Whoso doeth that, seeking the good pleasure of Allah, We shall bestow on him a vast reward. [4:114]

Do not fight wars of aggression. 2:190

It is good to help the poor and make peace. 4:114

Don't hate other people. Treat everyone fairly. 5:8

And if they incline to peace, incline thou also to it. 8:61

Men and women should help each other with love and mercy. 30:21

It is wrong to oppress people. 42:42

Live peacefully with disbelievers. 43:88-89

Let each person believe (or disbelieve) whatever he or she wishes. 109:1, 6

Since you've read the Quoran many times, I can only assume you are familiar with these passages that talk for friendship with Christians and Jews and peace and tolerance, yet purposely decided in your posts to excluded these kind of passages and set forth only those that are the most violent oriented.

The only reason I could fathom why you would purposfully write such unfair, biased and non-objective posts is a desire to demonize and incite hate against Islam and Muslims in generally. But maybe I misperceive your motive.

Ok, I think you have stated your full case right here, Even if they are blowing up 12 year olds in mind fields, So what? You do not care what they do. No problem for you.

LOL! Weren't you the one who was just talking about not taking things out of context?

No, of course I didn't mean "so what" that kids are used as mine detectors. My point is that it is irrelevant to the issue of methodology used in interpreting the Bible versus the Quoran that is the subject of discussion.

I think maybe your time would better spent explaining to your Muslim brethren that THEY are misunderstanding their own scriptures rather than trying to convince us,

Were done talking have a nice day

You raise an interesting observation -- in my perception it is both those Muslims who wish to incite violence and hatred and those non-Muslims who wish to incite violence and hatred who urge the most violent and radical interpretations of the Quoran.

Last edited:
I'm not a bigot and I hope you will see the error of your ways as time goes by.

This concerns the nature of Islam.

Lest us return to the issue of equality.

The idea is unacceptable to Islam.

For the non-believer cannot be the equal of the believer.

Even among the believers only those who subscribe to the three so-called Abrahamic religions: Judaism, Christianity and Islam ( Ahl el-Kitab) are regarded as fully human.

Here is the hierarchy of human worth in Islam:

At the summit are free male Muslims

Next come Muslim male slaves

Then come free Muslim women

Next come Muslim slave women.

Then come free Jewish and /or Christian men

Then come slave Jewish and/or Christian men

Then come slave Jewish and/or Christian women.

Each category has rights that must be respected.

The People of the Book have always been protected and relatively well-treated by Muslim rulers, but often in the context of a form of apartheid known as dhimmitude.

The status of the rest of humanity, those whose faiths are not recognised by Islam or who have no faith at all, has never been spelled out although wherever Muslim rulers faced such communities they often treated them with a certain measure of tolerance and respect ( As in the case of Hindus under the Muslim dynasties of India.)

Non-Muslims can, and have often been, treated with decency, but never as equals.

(There is a hierarchy even for animals and plants. Seven animals and seven plants will assuredly go to heaven while seven others of each will end up in Hell.)

Amir Taheri: "Islam Is Incompatible With Democracy"

I trust we can agree on this much, right?

Why is this version of the "nature of Islam" authored by Amir Taheri produced in freerepublic.com the only valid interpretation of the nature of Islam?

Amir Taheri, an Iranian-born journalist, was educated in Tehran, London and Paris. [1] A "prominent Iranian journalist under the Shah", Taheri "now advocates regime change in Iran.

He is also the source of a false story about Iran forcing Jews to wear yellow armbands that was widely circulated a couple years back (including this website):

A Faked Report on Iran
"A Colour Code for Iran's Infidels" written by Taheri, a "prominent U.S. neo-conservative" [3], was published May 19, 2006, by Canada's National Post. The story "regarding new legislation in Iran allegedly requiring Jews and other religious minorities to wear distinctive colour badges circulated around the world this weekend before it was exposed as false," Jim Lobe wrote May 22, 2006, for Inter Press Service.

Amir Taheri - SourceWatch

So you're relying on a guy with an obvious bias and who has fabricated lies for your assertion as to what is the nature of Islam?

Do you ever, just for a moment, stop and wonder that maybe you should on occasion question just a little bit the credibility of obvously biased sources like freerepublic.com, frontpagenews, jihadwatch that you rely on for your worldview?

Last edited:
The Sword verses of the Qu'ran

Qur'an 9:5 "Fight and kill the disbelievers wherever you find them, take them captive, harass them, lie in wait and ambush them using every stratagem of war."

Qur'an 9:112 "The Believers fight in Allah's Cause, they slay and are slain, kill and are killed."

Qur'an 9:29 "Fight those who do not believe until they all surrender, paying the protective tax in submission."

Qur'an 8:39 "Fight them until all opposition ends and all submit to Allah."

Qur'an 8:39 "So fight them until there is no more Fitnah (disbelief [non-Muslims]) and all submit to the religion of Allah alone (in the whole world)."

These are but a few of the verses that refer to fighting jihad in Allahs cause. Notice in many places they refer to fighting non believers until they submit to Allah. This is part of the mission for Islamist around the world. Submition, subjugation or death of non believers (infidels)

There are many other verses that refer to fighting to spread Islam. I will post them later.

Please refrain from discussion of the Old Testament, this thread is about Islamic text

While you'll get little argument from me that both the Quran and the Hadith are rife with explicitly defined orders of intolerance and violence completely incompatible with the ideal first world civilization, we probably, as others have already correctly admonished, part ways at the actual severity of literalists among Muslims who actually act on them, even in a third world society. While that doesn't make Islam any less ridiculous in my view, I'm not sure how useful it is to vilify one religion when you could, in the interest of saving time, implicate so many other equally intolerant religions in your scorn.

I can appreciate that you wouldn't want to derail your subject, so I'll just throw this in as a rhetorical apercu, if you will, to your bolded refrain stipulation there at the bottom--Why would anyone need just the Old Testament, when there is so much in the New Testament to work with to show the morally bankrupt, and intolerant nature of the King James Bible?

As you were.

... so I'll just throw this in as a rhetorical apercu ....

"apercu" - now there's one I had to look up:

pronunciation: \ˌa-pər-ˈsü\

1: a brief survey or sketch : outline
2: an immediate impression ; especially : insight

Nice one!

This claim...

Was made by you, and no one else.
You can't answer as usual. I'm not surprised since you never have any knowledge to add. Evasion and derailing is the only thing you're good at.

While you'll get little argument from me that both the Quran and the Hadith are rife with explicitly defined orders of intolerance and violence completely incompatible with the ideal first world civilization, we probably, as others have already correctly admonished, part ways at the actual severity of literalists among Muslims who actually act on them, even in a third world society. While that doesn't make Islam any less ridiculous in my view, I'm not sure how useful it is to vilify one religion when you could, in the interest of saving time, implicate so many other equally intolerant religions in your scorn.

I can appreciate that you wouldn't want to derail your subject, so I'll just throw this in as a rhetorical apercu, if you will, to your bolded refrain stipulation there at the bottom--Why would anyone need just the Old Testament, when there is so much in the New Testament to work with to show the morally bankrupt, and intolerant nature of the King James Bible?

As you were.
Okay Mr 3 posts, show how much more morally bankrupt the KJV is compared to the Quran. Did Jesus promote the same level of violence?

Sigh, more verses outweigh that minority.

If any one kill a person, it would be as if he kill the whole people, and if any one saved a life, it would be as if he saved the whole people." Qur'an, 5:32.

Say O people of the Book! Come to common terms as between us and you that we worship none but God; that we associate no partners with Him; that we erect not, from among ourselves, lords and patrons other than God. If then they turn back, say: "Bear witness that we (at least) are Muslims (bowing to God's Will)." Qur'an, 3:64.

Let it be known, if any one (Muslim) commits injustice, insults, aggravates, mistreats or abuses a person of the People of the Book (protected, by the state or an agreement), he will have to answer me (for his immoral action) on the Day of Judgment.

Under those rulings is what allowed Jews and minorities to stay protected within Muslim communities for hundreds of years whilst the west and Europe killed them off.

All through Hadiths and Qu'ran, instances of Islam's true nature of tolerance and peace can be seen. One of your verses is in reference to when the Pagans attacked the Muslims. Prophet Mohammed [MPBUP] rightly attacked back. It was a war, did you expect him to write 'and throw flowers at them'
They betrayed Muslims not the other way around, he just responded to protect his people.

No one can fault the Prophet's action or response otherwise you'd be a hypocrite, the same scenario is playing out even today.

Have you ever even read the Constitution of Medina?
The amount of times Prophet Mohammed respected the people of the book and especially Jews in our teachings and book is alot. Alot more than you'd ever see in the Bible.

I see you ignore that Prophet Mohammed stood up in respect for a Jew's funeral, or he visited a sick jewish neighbour, or Muslims protected Jews.
Oh no, you stick to the few verses like someone who is bitter and cannot let go.

Thankyou, you have sucessfully proven that Islam is bipolar.

Thankyou, you have sucessfully proven that Islam is bipolar.

I know what the Qu'ran states regarding tolerance to other faiths and you and your clinging onto a few surahs is disgusting and pretty boring. Bring a actual arguement against my religion without constantly repeating the same lines.

I think you need to start demonstrating the same tolerance you wants Muslims to show.

I know what the Qu'ran states regarding tolerance to other faiths and you and your clinging onto a few surahs is disgusting and pretty boring. Bring a actual arguement against my religion without constantly repeating the same lines.

I think you need to start demonstrating the same tolerance you wants Muslims to show.

Just a few surahs? Here are some quotes that reflect a lack of tolerance towards kaffirs (non believers) and apostates (former muslims).

Qur'an 9:71 "O Prophet, strive hard [fighting] against the unbelievers and the Hypocrites, and be harsh with them. Their abode is Hell, an evil refuge indeed."
Qur'an 8:59 "The infidels should not think that they can get away from us. Prepare against them whatever arms and weaponry you can muster so that you may terrorize them."
Qur'an 4:168 "Those who reject [Islamic] Faith, Allah will not forgive them nor guide them to any path except the way to Hell, to dwell therein forever. And this to Allah is easy."
Qur'an 4:114 "He who disobeys the Apostle after guidance has been revealed will burn in Hell."
Ishaq:344 "We smote them and they scattered. The impious met death. They became fuel for Hell. All who aren't Muslims must go there. It will consume them while the Stoker [Allah] increases the heat. They had called Allah's Apostle a liar. They claimed, 'You are nothing but a sorcerer.' So Allah destroyed them."
Qur'an 33:60 "Truly, if the Hypocrites stir up sedition, if the agitators in the City do not desist, We shall urge you to go against them and set you over them. They shall have a curse on them. Whenever they are found, they shall be seized and slain without mercy - a fierce slaughter - murdered, a horrible murdering."
Qur'an 33:64 "Verily Allah has cursed the Unbelievers [whom he defines as Christians in the 5th surah] and has prepared for them a Blazing Fire to dwell in forever. No protector will they find, nor savior. That Day their faces will be turned upside down in the Fire. They will say: 'Woe to us! We should have obeyed Allah and obeyed the Messenger!' 'Our Lord! Give them double torment and curse them with a very great Curse!'"
Qur'an 5:10 "Those who reject, disbelieve and deny Our signs, proofs and verses will be companions of Hell-Fire."
Qur'an 88:1 "Has the narration reached you of the overwhelming (calamity)? Some faces (all disbelievers, Jews and Christians) that Day, will be humiliated, downcast, scorched by the burning fire, while they are made to drink from a boiling hot spring."
Bukhari:V1B11N617 "I would order someone to collect firewood and another to lead prayer. Then I would burn the houses of men who did not present themselves at the compulsory prayer and prostration."
Bukhari:V1B11N626 "The Prophet said, 'No prayer is harder for the hypocrites than the Fajr. If they knew the reward they would come to (the mosque) even if they had to crawl. Certainly I decided to order a man to lead the prayer and then take a flame to burn all those who had not left their houses for the prayer, burning them alive inside their homes.'"
Bukhari:V4B52N260 "The Prophet said, 'If a Muslim discards his religion, kill him.'"

Last edited:
Here are some more, but its just a few :roll:

Qur'an 5:51 "Believers, take not Jews and Christians for your friends."
Qur'an 74:31 "We have appointed nineteen angels to be the wardens of the Hell Fire. We made a stumbling-block for those who disbelieve and We have fixed their number as a trial for unbelievers in order that the People of the Book may arrive with certainty, and that no doubts may be left for the People of the Book, those in whose hearts is a disease."
Bukhari:V4B54N487 "The Prophet said, 'The Hell Fire is 69 times hotter than ordinary worldly fires.' So someone said, 'Allah's Apostle, wouldn't this ordinary fire have been sufficient to torture the unbelievers?'"
Qur'an 72:15 "The disbelievers are the firewood of hell."
Qur'an 72:17 "If any turns away from the reminder of his Lord (the Qur'an), He will thrust him into an ever growing torment, and cause for him a severe penalty."
Qur'an 72:25 "Whoever disobeys the Lord and His Messenger then there is for him the fire of Hell where they shall abide forever."
Qur'an 88:21 "You are not a warden over them; except for those who turn away and disbelieve, in which case, he will be punished with the severest punishment. Verily to Us they will return."
Qur'an 90:19 "But those who reject Our Signs, Proofs, and Verses, they are the unhappy Companions of the Left Hand. Fire will be their awning, vaulting over them."
Qur'an 95:4 "We have indeed created man in the best molds. Then do We abase him, reducing him to be the lowest of the low, except such as believe."
Tabari VIII:130 "The Messenger said, 'Two religions cannot coexist in the Arabian Peninsula.' Umar investigated the matter, then sent to the Jews, saying: 'Allah has given permission for you to be expelled."
Qur'an 2:64 "But you [Jews] went back on your word and were lost losers. So become apes, despised and hated. We made an example out of you."
Qur'an 66:9 "O Prophet! Strive hard against the unbelieving Infidels and the Hypocrites; be severe against them. Their abode is Hell, an evil resort."
Qur'an 60:1 "Believers, take not my enemies and yours as allies, offering them love, even though they have rejected the truth that has come to you, and have driven out the Prophet and you because you believe in Allah! If you have come out to struggle [fight jihad] in My Cause, and to seek My Pleasure, (take them not as friends), holding secret converse of love with them: for I am aware of all you conceal. And any of you that does this has strayed from the Straight Path. If they were to get the better of you, they would be your foes, and stretch forth their hands and their tongues against you with evil (designs)."

Last edited:
And a few more quotes that exhibit a lack of tolerance.

Qur'an 60:4 "We reject you. Hostility and hate have come between us forever, unless you believe in Allah only.'"
Qur'an 48:13 "If any believe not in Allah and His Messenger, We have prepared a Blazing Fire for them!"
Qur'an 48:28 "It is He Who has sent His Messenger with guidance and the Religion of Truth (Islam), that he may make it superior to every other religion, exalting it over them. Allah is a sufficient Witness. Muhammad is the Prophet of Allah. Those who are with him are severe with Infidel unbelievers."
Qur'an 47:3 "Those who disbelieve follow vanities, while those who believe follow truth from their Lord: Thus does Allah coin for men their similitudes [resemblances] as a lesson. Whoever denies faith [in Islam and Muhammad], his work is of no account, and in the hereafter he shall be one of the losers."
Qur'an 9:2 "You cannot weaken Allah or escape. Allah will disgrace the unbelievers and put those who reject Him to shame."
Qur'an 9:4 "You cannot escape Allah, weaken or frustrate Him. And proclaim a grievous penalty of a painful doom to those who reject [Islamic] Faith."
Qur'an 9:17 "The disbelievers have no right to visit the mosques of Allah while bearing witness against their own souls to infidelity. These it is whose doings are in vain, and in the fire shall they abide. Only he shall visit the mosques of Allah who believes in Allah and the latter day, and keeps up devotional obligations, pays the zakat, and fears none but Allah."
Qur'an 9:28 "Believers, truly the pagan disbelievers are unclean."
Qur'an 9:30 "The Jews call Uzair (Ezra) the son of Allah, and the Christians say that the Messiah is the son of Allah. That is their saying from their mouths; they but imitate what the unbelievers of old used to say. Allah's (Himself) fights against them, cursing them, damning and destroying them. How perverse are they!"
Qur'an 9:33 "He has sent His Messenger (Muhammad) with guidance and the Religion of Truth (Islam) to make it superior over all religions, even though the disbelievers detest (it)."
Qur'an 9:63 "Know they not that for those who oppose Allah and His Messenger is the Fire of Hell wherein they shall dwell? That is the supreme disgrace."
Qur'an 9:66 "Make no excuses: you have rejected Faith after you had accepted it. If We pardon some of you, We will punish others amongst you, for they are disbelievers."
Qur'an 9:113 "It is not fitting for the Prophet and those who believe, that they should pray for the forgiveness for disbelievers, even though they be close relatives, after it is clear to them that they are the inmates of the Flaming Hell Fire."
Qur'an 5:78 "Curses were pronounced on the unbelievers, the Children of Israel who rejected Islam, by the tongues of David and of Jesus because they disobeyed and rebelled."
Qur'an 5:80 "You see many of them allying themselves with the Unbelievers [other translations read: "Infidels"]. Vile indeed are their souls. Allah's wrath is on them, and in torment will they abide."
Qur'an 5:82 "You will find the Jews and disbelievers [defined as Christians in 5:73] the most vehement in hatred for the Muslims."
Qur'an 5:86 "Those who reject Islam and are disbelievers, denying our Signs and Revelations - they shall be the owners of the Hell Fire."
Tabari IX:78 "No polytheist shall come near the Holy Mosque, and no one shall circumambulate Allah's House naked."
Ishaq:246 "Hypocrites used to assemble in the mosque and listen to the stories of the Muslims and laugh and scoff at their religion. So Muhammad ordered that they should be ejected. They were thrown out with great violence. Abu went to Amr, took his foot and dragged him out of the mosque. Another Muslim slapped a man's face while dragging him forcefully, knocking him down. One was pulled violently by his hair. 'Don't come near the Apostle's mosque again, for you are unclean.' The first hundred verses of the Cow surah came down in reference to these Jewish rabbis and Hypocrites."
Ishaq:262 "Some Muslims remained friends with the Jews, so Allah sent down a Qur'an forbidding them to take Jews as friends. From their mouths hatred has already shown itself and what they conceal is worse."
Qur'an 5:51 "Believers, take not Jews and Christians for your friends. They are but friends and protectors to each other."

Last edited:
Just a few surahs? Here are some quotes that reflect a lack of tolerance towards kaffirs (non believers) and apostates (former muslims).

Lol, i do love the Hadiths .. Bukhary no less.

Yes, in the context of the entire Qu'ran. That is a minority.
I do not see why you are so intent on Islam.

And since there seems to be a shortage of examples of Islamic text that show a lack of intolerance towards non muslims here are a few more.

Ishaq:245 "The Apostle used to say, 'Their religion will never march with ours.'"
Bukhari:V4B52N288 "Expel disbelievers from the Arabian Peninsula.'"
Qur'an 2:191 "Slay them wherever you find and catch them, and drive them out from where they have turned you out; for persecution and oppression are worse than slaughter."
Qur'an 33:25 "Allah drove the disbelievers back...and helped the believers in battle.... He terrorized the People of the Book so that you killed some and made many captive."
Tabari IX:167 "Muhammad waged war against the false prophets [slitting his own wrists would have done nicely] by sending messengers with instructions to get rid of them by artful contrivance [plot or machination]."
Bukhari:V5B59N727 "When Allah's Apostle became seriously sick, he started covering his face with a woolen sheet. When he felt short of breath, he removed it, and said, 'That is so! Allah's curse be on Jews and Christians.'"
Qur'an 21:98 "Verily you (disbelieving Infidels), and the gods that you worship besides Allah, are the fuel for Hell, faggots for the fire! Certainly you will enter it! Had their (idols) been (real) alihah (gods), they would have kept them out of Hell. Therein, sobbing will be your lot. Breathing with deep sighs, roaring. You will hear nothing but wailing and groaning."
Qur'an 18:103 "Say: 'Shall we inform you of who will be the greatest losers? ...Those who reject my Revelations... Hell is their reward, because they rejected Islam, and took My proofs, verses, and lessons, and those of My Messengers by way of jest in mockery.'"
Qur'an 52:9 "On the Day when heaven will heave in dreadful shaking, trembling, and mountains will fly hither and thither, woe to those who reject [me], that play in shallow trifles and sport in vain discourses. That Day they will be pushed down by force, thrust with a horrible thrust into the Fire of Hell. Unable to resist, they shall be driven to the fire with violence."
Qur'an 40:10 "Lo, those who disbelieve will be informed by proclamation: 'Verily Allah's abhorrence is more terrible than your aversion to yourselves. Allah's hatred of you is terrible, seeing that you were called to the Faith [of submission] and you refused.'"
Qur'an 40:35 "Those who dispute the Signs and Verses of Allah without any authority, grievous and odious, hateful and disgusting, is it in the sight of Allah and the Believers.'"
Ishaq:185 "Adam reviewed the spirits of his offspring. The infidels excited his disgust. I saw men with lips like camels. In their hands were pieces of fire like stones which they thrust into their mouths. They came out their posteriors."
Qur'an 20:48 "Verily it has been revealed to us that the Penalty of Doom awaits those who reject and deny."
Qur'an 20:100 "Whoever turns from it, he shall bear a burden on the Day of Doom. Grievous evil will the load on them. We shall gather the Mujrimun (disbeliever) blue or blind-eyed with thirst.... My Lord will blast them and scatter them as dust."
Qur'an 21:06 "Not one of the populations which We destroyed believed: will these believe? ...So we saved whom We pleased, and We destroyed the disbelievers."
Qur'an 21:10 "Verily, We have sent down for you a Book in which is your reminder. Have you then no sense? How many towns have We utterly destroyed because of their wrongs, exchanging them for other people? When they (felt) Our Torment, behold, they (began to) fly. Fly not, but return to that which emasculated you so that you may be interrogated. They cried: 'Woe to us!' Their crying did not cease till We mowed them down as ashes silent and quenched."
Qur'an 21:98 "Verily you (unbelievers), and that which you worship besides Allah, are faggots for the Hell Fire! And come to it you will! There, sobbing and groaning will be your lot."
Qur'an 46:20 "On that Day the unbelievers will be placed before the Fire: 'You squandered your good things in this life and you sought comfort from them, but today shall you be rewarded with a penalty of humiliation.'"
Qur'an 59:4 "If any one resists Allah, verily Allah is severe in Punishment, stern in reprisal."

but wait, theres more, there must be afew more.

Ishaq:249 "Fear Hell, whose fuel is men and stones prepared for the infidels.'"
Qur'an 2:39 "Those who reject and deny Our Signs will be inmates of the Hell Fire and will abide there forever."
Qur'an 2:99 "We have sent down to you Manifest Signs; and none reject them but those who are perverse."
Qur'an 2:71 "The semblance of the infidels is one who shouts to one who cannot hear. They are deaf, dumb, and blind. They make no sense."
Qur'an 2:174 "Those who conceal Allah's revelations in the [Bible] Scripture Book, and thus make a miserable profit thereby [selling it to Muhammad], swallow Fire into themselves; Allah will not address them. Grievous will be their doom."
Qur'an 2:175 "They are the ones who bartered away guidance for error and Torment in place of Forgiveness. Ah, what boldness (they show) for the Fire! (Their doom is) because Allah sent down the Book in truth but those who seek causes of dispute in the Book are in a schism of great opposition."
Qur'an 2:256 "There is no compulsion in religion."
Qur'an 4:90 "If they turn back from Islam, becoming renegades, seize them and kill them wherever you find them."
Bukhari:V5B59N572 "O Muslims, take not My enemies as friends, offering them kindness when they reject Allah, the Prophet Muhammad, and his Qur'an. And whoever does that, then indeed he has gone (far) astray. You have come out to fight in My Cause, seeking My acceptance so do not be friendly with them, even in secret." [60:1]
Qur'an 8:12 "I will terrorize the unbelievers. Therefore smite them on their necks and every joint and incapacitate them. Strike off their heads and cut off each of their fingers and toes."
Qur'an 8:13 "This because they rejected Allah and defied His Messenger. If anyone opposes Allah and His Messenger, Allah shall be severe in punishment. That is the torment: 'So taste the punishment. For those infidels who resist there is the torment of Hell.'"
Qur'an 8:20 "Those who do not obey are the worst of beasts, the vilest of animals in the sight of Allah. They are deaf and dumb. Those who do not understand are senseless."
Qur'an 8:36 "The unbelievers spend their wealth to hinder (man) from the Way of Allah, and so will they continue to spend; but in the end they will have intense regrets and sighs. It will become an anguish for them, then they will be subdued. The unbelievers shall be driven into hell in order that Allah may distinguish the bad from the good and separate them. Allah wants to heap the wicked one over the other and cast them into Hell. They are the losers."
Qur'an 8:39 "So fight them until there is no more Fitnah (disbelief [non-Muslims]) and all submit to the religion of Allah alone (in the whole world)."
Qur'an 8:40 "If people are obstinate, and refuse to surrender, know Allah is your Supporter."
Qur'an 8:50 "If you could have seen the infidels when the angels drew away their souls, striking their faces and smiting their backs. The angels said: 'Taste the penalty of the blazing Fire.'"
Qur'an 8:52 "They denied and rejected the revelations of Allah, and Allah destroyed them, punishing them for their crimes: for Allah is strict, severe in punishment."
Ishaq:231 "Muslims are one ummah (community) to the exclusion of all men. Believers are friends of one another to the exclusion of all outsiders."
Ishaq:363 "Say to those who do not believe you: 'You will be vanquished and gathered into Hell, an evil resting place.'"
Qur'an 61:7 "Who does greater wrong than one who invents falsehood against Allah, even as he is being summoned to Submission? And Allah guides not the disbelievers. Their intention is to extinguish Allah's Light (by blowing) with their mouths: But Allah will complete His Light, even though the Unbelievers detest (it). It is He Who has sent His Messenger with Guidance and the Religion of Truth (Islam), that he may make it conquer all religion, even though the disbelievers hate (it)."
Qur'an 2:104 "To those who don't submit there is a grievous punishment."
Qur'an 3:4 "As a guidance to mankind, He sent down the criterion (to judge between right and wrong). Truly, for those who deny the proofs and signs of Allah, the torture will be severe; Allah is powerful, the Lord of Retribution."
Qur'an 3:10 "As for those who deny [Islam], neither their wealth nor their children will help them in the least against Allah. They shall be faggots for the fire of Hell."
Qur'an 3:11 "The punishment of Allah is severe. So tell the unbelieving infidels: 'You will surely be vanquished, seized by Allah, and driven to Hell. How bad a preparation.'"
Qur'an 3:26 "You [Allah] exalt whom You please and debase and humiliate whom You will. Those who believe should not take unbelievers as their friends...guard yourselves from them.... Allah commands you to beware of Him."

Last edited:
There couldn't be more. I thought there were only a few quotes. Seems to be more than just a few. Seems the Islamic text are rife with examples of intolerance.

Qur'an 3:32 "Say: 'Obey Allah and His Messenger;' If they refuse, remember Allah does not like unbelieving infidels."
Qur'an 3:55 "Allah said, 'Jesus, I will take you and raise you to Myself and rid you of the infidels (who have forged the lie that you are My son).... Those who are infidels will surely receive severe torment both in this world and the next; and none will they have as a savior for them."
Qur'an 3:61 "If anyone disputes with you about Jesus being divine, flee them and pray that Allah will curse them."
Qur'an 3:62 "This is the true account, the true narrative, the true explanation: There is no Ilah (God) except Allah; and Allah - He is the Mighty. And if they turn away, then lo! Allah is aware of the corrupters, the mischief-makers. Say: 'People of the Book, come to common terms as an agreement between us and you: That we all shall worship none but Allah.'"
Qur'an 3:84 "Say (Muhammad): 'We believe in Allah and that which is revealed to us and that which was revealed unto Abraham and Ishmael and Isaac and Jacob and the tribes [of Israel], and in (the Books) given to Moses, Jesus, and the prophets, from their Lord. We make no distinction between any of them, and unto Him we have surrendered, bowing our will (in Islam).'"
Qur'an 3:85 "If anyone desires a religion other than Islam (Surrender), never will it be accepted of him; and in the Hereafter He will be in the ranks of those who are losers."
Qur'an 3:87 "Of such, the reward is the curse of Allah, of His angels, and of all men, all together. Their penalty of doom will not be lightened."
Qur'an 3:118 "Believers! Take not into your intimacy those outside your religion (pagans, Jews, and Christians). They will not fail to corrupt you. They only desire your ruin. Rank hatred has already appeared from their mouths. What their hearts conceal is far worse. When they are alone, they bite off the very tips of their fingers at you in their rage. Say unto them: 'Perish in your rage.'"
Qur'an 3:141 "This is so that Allah may test the faithful and destroy the unbelieving infidels." [Another translation:] "Allah's object is to purge those that are true in Faith and blight the disbelievers. This is so that Allah may test the faithful and destroy the unbelieving infidels."
Qur'an 3:150 "Soon We shall strike terror into the hearts of the Infidels, for that they joined companions with Allah, for which He had sent no authority: their abode will be in the Fire!"
Qur'an 33:8 "He has prepared for the Unbelievers a grievous Penalty."
Qur'an 33:58 "And those who annoy or malign Muslims bear (on themselves) a crime of calumny and a glaring sin."
Qur'an 24:39 "For those who disbelieve, their deeds are like a mirage in the desert. There is no water for the thirsty. He only finds Allah, who will pay him his due in Hell."
Qur'an 23:40 "Soon they will regret. Torment and an awful cry will overtake them. We have made such men rubbish, like rotting plants. So away with the people."
Qur'an 24:57 "Never think that the unbelievers can escape in the land. Their abode is Fire!"
Qur'an 4:12 "Those who disobey Allah and His Messenger and transgress His limits will be admitted to a Fire, to abide therein: And they shall have a humiliating punishment."

Back
Top Bottom