• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Spouses to be Dropped from Health Care Policies

LowDown

Curmudgeon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Spouses who work and are eligible for health care coverage will be dropped from each UPS employee's health care plan. UPS says this is because of Obamacare.

In the past if both spouses worked it was common for both to have coverage for each other, but this is being cut off by some companies, including UPS.

The only difference it makes to individuals is that in some cases what one policy covers the other does not. The situation is especially important if one spouse has poor coverage and the other has good coverage. Under this policy the former spouse is stuck with poor coverage.

It doesn't sound like the spouse with poor coverage will be given the option of dropping that poor coverage that he or she gets from his or her own employer to be picked up by his or her spouse's better policy.

I have been told the Nestle North America has switched to penalizing those employees in their withholdings for insurance.

I keep hearing of more and more private sector employees being faced with huge increases in health care coverage, prescription drugs, co-pays and now denying spouse benefits. What really frosts my flakes is public sector employees are not facing the same. We taxpayers provide the government workers from teachers, fire fighters, police etc. with Cadillac healthcare coverage. They have better coverage than most working shmucks that are handed the bill for their benefits. These government employees state and federal, have such sweet plans that often in a household where there is a government employee, the spouse that works for a private sector will decline coverage from their employment and get coverage under the spouse that is a government employee. One, because the coverage is better and two because the premium for coverage to be added to the spouse with the public sector job is less. This too adds another burden of cost to the taxpayers. I don't know about you but I am really tired of the happy horse poop.

Last edited:
The leftist were right; there is a war on women - only they are waging it not the conservatives.

The leftist were right; there is a war on women - only they are waging it not the conservatives.

Oh, so only the menfolk work for UPS, eh? :lamo

It was terribly naive to think that profiteering businesses wouldn't try to exploit every possible loophole to avoid benefiting their employees if there was any possible cost to those profits. Big business owners will even flaunt the law to continue their parasitic sucking of all the prosperity from the working class of this country until there's nothing left. Even the force of law isn't enough to contain their greed.

I can't understand how anyone is so backwards as to look at all these reactions to the ACA, with workers' hours cut, full time positions being chopped into part time, or dropping of coverage, and be angry at anyone but the greedy people making these decisions, to sacrifice the health of the American people in order to fill their coffers.

Dependent and non-insured spouses are still covered, only working spouses with access through their own employment are to be dropped. Since spousal insurance generally costs more than employee insurance, then people are being "forced" to save money! How awful for the poor things.

It was terribly naive to think that profiteering businesses wouldn't try to exploit every possible loophole to avoid benefiting their employees if there was any possible cost to those profits. Big business owners will even flaunt the law to continue their parasitic sucking of all the prosperity from the working class of this country until there's nothing left. Even the force of law isn't enough to contain their greed.

I can't understand how anyone is so backwards as to look at all these reactions to the ACA, with workers' hours cut, full time positions being chopped into part time, or dropping of coverage, and be angry at anyone but the greedy people making these decisions, to sacrifice the health of the American people in order to fill their coffers.

Businesses HAVE TO fill their coffers. It is their obligation to their shareholders. They can't just suck up added expenses. It's not greed, it's business. And yes, businesses exist for the sole purpose to profit for their shareholders. They couldn't function as charities even if they wanted to.

Last edited:

I can not understand how anyone is so backwards they can look at the ACA and see no issues, and continue crazy rants about the 'rich' and 'corporations'.

God forbid a business would operate at something other than a total loss. Lets all emulate the federal government and spend far more than we can afford. What a country!!!!

Another glorious victory for O-care.

I keep hearing of more and more private sector employees being faced with huge increases in health care coverage, prescription drugs, co-pays and now denying spouse benefits. What really frosts my flakes is public sector employees are not facing the same. We taxpayers provide the government workers from teachers, fire fighters, police etc. with Cadillac healthcare coverage. They have better coverage than most working shmucks that are handed the bill for their benefits. These government employees state and federal, have such sweet plans that often in a household where there is a government employee, the spouse that works for a private sector will decline coverage from their employment and get coverage under the spouse that is a government employee. One, because the coverage is better and two because the premium for coverage to be added to the spouse with the public sector job is less. This too adds another burden of cost to the taxpayers. I don't know about you but I am really tired of the happy horse poop.

I call bull. My mom works for the local school system, and we have ****TY coverage. Like real ****ty.

Businesses HAVE TO fill their coffers. It is their obligation to their shareholders. They can't just suck up added expenses. It's not greed, it's business. And yes, businesses exist for the sole purpose to profit for their shareholders. They couldn't function as charities even if they wanted to.

All true, but I hope you realize that successful profit maximization leads on balance to desirable social outcomes.

I call bull. My mom works for the local school system, and we have ****TY coverage. Like real ****ty.

Not in my state, they are mighty fine but we are also one of the states that have a problem balancing our state budget because of the sweet benefit packages our government employees receive.

Back
Top Bottom