• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Spotify

Superfly

Salty, defiant, and completely non-compliant.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
What is it? This is the biggest cluster**** of anything I've seen. I have to follow my favorite artists on there for my Music Appreciation class, and it just looks like a jumbled up mess. Is there a real purpose for it? I can't even see who I'm following.

What is it? This is the biggest cluster**** of anything I've seen. I have to follow my favorite artists on there for my Music Appreciation class, and it just looks like a jumbled up mess. Is there a real purpose for it? I can't even see who I'm following.

It looks like a way to prevent people from getting digital copies of music for free like off of Youtube? I don't see why anyone would buy music or a service.

I don't even know what it is. Is it like internet radio?

I don't even know what it is. Is it like internet radio?

Sort of but more like iTunes, where you download and use their software as a commercial music streaming service.

Hmmm... well, I have to do this, so I'll do it. Not thrilled, and I don't 100% understand it, but I'll do it. Thanks, hon.

Hmmm... well, I have to do this, so I'll do it. Not thrilled, and I don't 100% understand it, but I'll do it. Thanks, hon.

Why do you have to? Is there a particular song or album you want to hear that's not available any other way?

Part of my Music Appreciation class. We have to get a Spotify account and link it to the professor so he can see our music likes, I guess. :roll: He can just ASK me and I won't have to pay 9.99 a month that way!

Part of my Music Appreciation class. We have to get a Spotify account and link it to the professor so he can see our music likes, I guess. :roll: He can just ASK me and I won't have to pay 9.99 a month that way!

Oh, you'd think he'd get a bulk rate discount if he's making it a class requirement? One months worth is not too bad at $10 but it's a shame he couldn't think of a free service.

Oh, you'd think he'd get a bulk rate discount if he's making it a class requirement? One months worth is not too bad at $10 but it's a shame he couldn't think of a free service.

Well it's not one month. I'll run every month for the entire quarter. I hate to blow $50 on this crap if it's not necessary. There's a free service, but it's only for 30 days.

Well it's not one month. I'll run every month for the entire quarter. I hate to blow $50 on this crap if it's not necessary. There's a free service, but it's only for 30 days.

Do you care about your grade, or are you just taking this class for the **** and giggles?

If the latter, **** Spotify.

That's the problem is that he wants a real list, not just what you say you listen to and everyone charges for that kind of music service. I have hundreds of songs on my PC but only listen to a fraction of them regularly anymore.

My taste is very eclectic and across the board with probably Pop Music being the most common, right behind Classic soft & hard Rock. Not near as much into the new stuff the past few years but occasionally one sticks for awhile. I played "Somebody That I Used To Know" by Gotye, till I was absolutely sick of it because I hadn't heard anything I liked in so long...lol

Wait. Was this published as a requirement before you registered for the class? Was the cost mentioned as part of the class requirements? If not, tell your professor you respectfully decline and would be willing to update him via e-mail regarding your music "likes."

Unless you are getting it for free or some great discount, I would call foul on this crap, even if I had to go over the prof's head. There is no real point to this requirement.

Do you care about your grade, or are you just taking this class for the **** and giggles?

If the latter, **** Spotify.

Actually, my GPA is lower than I want it to be right now. Plus, as a musician, I thought this would be a fun class.

That's the problem is that he wants a real list, not just what you say you listen to and everyone charges for that kind of music service. I have hundreds of songs on my PC but only listen to a fraction of them regularly anymore.

My taste is very eclectic and across the board with probably Pop Music being the most common, right behind Classic soft & hard Rock. Not near as much into the new stuff the past few years but occasionally one sticks for awhile. I played "Somebody That I Used To Know" by Gotye, till I was absolutely sick of it because I hadn't heard anything I liked in so long...lol

that song is extremely catchy. I'm not much of a pop music kind of person, but I liked that one, and I like "Blurred Lines" too, and I normally hate that kind of stuff.

Wait. Was this published as a requirement before you registered for the class? Was the cost mentioned as part of the class requirements? If not, tell your professor you respectfully decline and would be willing to update him via e-mail regarding your music "likes."

No it wasn't mentioned until we registered, and then it was mentioned in the syllabus. I hate to cheap out because my book was only $15. Maybe that's why he's making us do it - to make up for the fact that we don't have to buy an expensive book.

Unless you are getting it for free or some great discount, I would call foul on this crap, even if I had to go over the prof's head. There is no real point to this requirement.

I went over a Instructor's head last term. As a result, she gave me an F. I respectfully decline your advisement. :lol: I will never, ever go over anyone's head again. Like ever. But thanks. :)

Actually, my GPA is lower than I want it to be right now. Plus, as a musician, I thought this would be a fun class.

If it's a passion for you I'd stick with it. Of all things we pay for in this world there aren't enough that we actually like.

I install applications onto it, so I can find new music. In reality, in part thanks to the mess of iTunes, and I guess my relative ambivalence toward getting Foobar2000 to be more suited for my collection, I have been hooked to Spotify. I use it frequently in libraries on my phone so I can photocopy and still jam. Of course, being a subscriber helps in getting better bitrates for my cans.

I went over a Instructor's head last term. As a result, she gave me an F. I respectfully decline your advisement. :lol: I will never, ever go over anyone's head again. Like ever. But thanks. :)

If you did not deserve the F you should have gone over their head again.

But Fiddy, do you need to pay for it? Isn't there a free version I can use for class? I don't really plan on using it for anything else. I have my own music programs, that are free. :lol:

I thought the TOS was 10 hours per month? It was before I became a premium member. They must have changed it..hmm.

Really, I think that this was a poor decision on the part of the professor if all you get out of it was a liking or listening of artists.

If you did not deserve the F you should have gone over their head again.

I did, Fisher. But they didn't listen. I appealed, and showed them my work and they upheld her grade. They said that it was subjective, and that if she gave me an F, then I had to stick with it. I originally went over her head because I was having an issue with something, and I emailed her several times, and phoned her and she never called me back or emailed me back. This particular class was online, and if you are not in a brick-and-mortar classroom, you are tethered to communicating with these teachers via email, phones, etc. If they don't call you or return your emails, you're screwed. She refused to email me back, so I went over her head to see if I could get help with another instructor, and she found out, and que sera sera. :shrug: I've found out you can't fight city hall. :(

that song is extremely catchy. I'm not much of a pop music kind of person, but I liked that one, and I like "Blurred Lines" too, and I normally hate that kind of stuff.

I never know why a certain song will stick and sometimes I'll change my mind about certain ones years later. When I was in my teens I really liked hardcore stuff but it's too extreme for my senses now, plus I was stoned a lot back then...lol

"Blurred Lines" by Robin Thicke it's got a catchy beat. I hear his name a lot lately like Adele was on fire for awhile. Funny, initially I wasn't into her sound now I like it. No explanation for taste?

I thought the TOS was 10 hours per month? It was before I became a premium member. They must have changed it..hmm.

Really, I think that this was a poor decision on the part of the professor if all you get out of it was a liking or listening of artists.

Yeah, me too.

Back
Top Bottom