• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Spotify sides with Joe Rogan, agrees to remove Neil Young's music from service

trixare4kids

Trix has reentered the building.
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
How does Neil Young's temper tantrum hurt Joe Rogan or spotify? Spotify sides with Joe Rogan.
Looks like Joe Rogan is the winner...

This past Monday, Neil Young publicly demanded that Spotify remove his music. While Young famously withdrew much of his catalog from the streaming service years ago because he was dissatisfied with the sound quality, this new request was for an entirely different reason: his outrage over Spotify’s popular podcast The Joe Rogan Experience, which Young argued has been “spreading fake information about vaccines — potentially causing death to those who believe the disinformation being spread by them.”

In his open letter, the “This Note’s for You” singer wrote: “I want you to let Spotify know immediately TODAY that I want all my music off their platform. They can have Rogan or Young. Not both.”

It took two days, but according to a report by the Wall Street Journal, Spotify is now heeding the musician’s ultimatum — siding with Rogan in this feud and removing the more than 40 Young albums that, as of Jan. 26, were still available to stream on the service. Young’s management lodged a formal request with Spotify on Wednesday to delete those albums, according to WSJ, although the removal process may take several hours to compete.

Their right, and they'd probably suffer either way. If they picked the right to air false information about Covid, then that's their stance. At least it's clear to all of those who use Spotify.

Their right, and they'd probably suffer either way. If they picked the right to air false information about Covid, then that's their stance. At least it's clear to all of those who use Spotify.

Spotify is not going to suffer.
Spotify has mostly taken a "hands-off" approach with Rogan, whose show was the platform's most popular podcast in 2021 according to Spotify. The property is lucrative for the company, who signed an estimated $100 million deal in 2020 to bring the popular show exclusively to its service. https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/oth...gans-podcast/ar-AATbczC?ocid=uxbndlbing&pfr=1

Thanks for the info, I will cancel Spotify tomorrow.

I will not support a business that enables division and misinformation in American.

All real Americans, true patriots will cancel.

Okay, noonereal, show yourself to the Spotify door. :giggle:

Thanks for the info, I will cancel Spotify tomorrow.

I will not support a business that enables division and misinformation in American.

All real Americans, true patriots will cancel.
I cancelled in December after being fed up with their tolerance for all this vaccine misinformation. I too can vote with my wallet. As it turned out there were other music services just as good so I've now mostly stopped thinking about Spotify.

How does Neil Young's temper tantrum hurt Joe Rogan or spotify? Spotify sides with Joe Rogan.
Looks like Joe Rogan is the winner...

Looks like they sided with Neil - they did exactly he asked them to do.

This is Young's decision.

I fail to see how this is a big deal.

Young gave Spotify an ultimatum. Joe Rogan or Neil Young, saying Spotify can't have both.
I don't think Young thought they'd side with Rogan.

He demanded that they take his music off their platform.

They did as he asked.

Yeah, after they decided to side with Rogan...

"I am doing this because Spotify is spreading fake information about vaccines – potentially causing death to those who believe the disinformation being spread by them," Young said in a memo since deleted from his website, according to Rolling Stone. "They can have Rogan or Young. Not both."

Young gave Spotify an ultimatum. Joe Rogan or Neil Young, saying Spotify can't have both.
I don't think Young thought they'd side with Rogan.
I don't think he cared. That's what people of principle do - be willing to sacrifice, including personally, for a cause. He did, and he is probably feeling really good right now about having done what he believes is the right thing. I recognize this probably is something that perhaps you can't relate to.

From the article: siding with Rogan in this feud and removing the more than 40 Young albums that, as of Jan. 26, were still available to stream on the service.

No more classical music? Oh well...
🥂😩😩

I would never use Spotify for refined, critical listening. Do you think I am some kind of audio philistine?

A sampling frequency of 24bit192kHz or better is my requirement.

Plus, I have near 5,000 discs at home to chose from, most ripped to hard drive.

No, he wanted his music gone, because he didn't want to share a platform with Rogan.
Young gave Spotify an ultimatum. If they got rid of Rogan, they could keep his music. Spotify sided with Rogan over Young....Neil Young wrote, "They can have Rogan or Young. Not both."

Young is off the site and Rogan still has his show. Definitely Not a win for Young. He wanted Rogan gone. Right?
It's a win for Young - he acted on behalf of a principle important to him and probably feels good about it.

It's a win for Rogan - he can keep talking crap and get paid.

It's a loss for Spotify - their catalog shrinks, and their competitiveness similarly decreases, however slightly.

Back
Top Bottom