• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Sports Athletes Should Be Completely Ignored When They Rant Political

Ontologuy

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
This video is 17 minutes long, but it's packed with substantive relevance as to why people like LeBron James should be supremely enjoyed when they're playin' ball and talking about it ..

.. But should be completely ignored when he, in his obvious ignorance, begins to wax political, and even criticized for unethically opening his mouth about anything other than sports when a microphone is thrust in his face to talk about politics because and only because he's a sports star:

The highlights:

1. LeBron James is promoting racial tension by emotionally jumping to conclusions about current events when he is clueless about the associated facts.

2. James and other athletes unethically misuse their sports star status that garners them an over-sized voice to politically pander their position on politics and current events.

3. Sports stars like James are nearly always uneducated and ill-informed about current events and politics, and so they end up misinforming those who listen to them.

4. Thus sports stars most often error in their political presentations, and when they're speaking on race-relations, they end up being a bigger bigot than those they falsely accuse.

5. Sports stars don't cite valid information and statistics, they just mention a few anecdotal situations and then erroneously jump to false conclusions that mislead the public.

6. LeBron James jumps to anecdotal generalizations about the Black community that Black people would never want others to prejudice them with.

7. LeBron and sports stars end up riling up people with false presentations, and that causes increased civil unrest, people getting shot and killed, businesses looted, and increases poverty.

8. Lebron James out of ignorance egregiously makes unwarranted false suppositions about the mindset of the police, further contributing to the BLM conspiracy theory mass hysteria.

9. James is behaving like a bigot, generalizing about cops and White people and all, exactly the way people of Black communities don't want to be generalized themselves by White people.

10. Professional athletes need to stop talking about this stuff because they only make matters worse.

11. We should stop worshiping sports stars, as that sets us up to be deceived by them when they step away from their sport and step in front of the political microphone.

Yes, here's a former sports athlete who knows better than to jump to conclusions about current events and politics, and instead waits to gather more accurate information and process it intelligently to logically derive at conclusions and let's the law enforcement professionals present the matters.

If anyone knows other sports athletes it's him .. and his clear and accurate message about these sports stars is that sports stars are nearly always politically topically ignorant, thus they're spreading that ignorance and misinformation into the public political arena making terrible situations worse.

Same should apply to reality TV stars.

.. But should be completely ignored when he, in his obvious ignorance, begins to wax political, and even criticized for unethically opening his mouth about anything other than sports when a microphone is thrust in his face to talk about politics because and only because he's a sports star:

I feel exactly the same way about 99% of anonymous online debate posters.

This video is 17 minutes long, but it's packed with substantive relevance as to why people like LeBron James should be supremely enjoyed when they're playin' ball and talking about it ..

The highlights:

1. LeBron James is promoting racial tension by emotionally jumping to conclusions about current events when he is clueless about the associated facts.

2. James and other athletes unethically misuse their sports star status that garners them an over-sized voice to politically pander their position on politics and current events.

3. Sports stars like James are nearly always uneducated and ill-informed about current events and politics, and so they end up misinforming those who listen to them.

4. Thus sports stars most often error in their political presentations, and when they're speaking on race-relations, they end up being a bigger bigot than those they falsely accuse.

5. Sports stars don't cite valid information and statistics, they just mention a few anecdotal situations and then erroneously jump to false conclusions that mislead the public.

6. LeBron James jumps to anecdotal generalizations about the Black community that Black people would never want others to prejudice them with.

7. LeBron and sports stars end up riling up people with false presentations, and that causes increased civil unrest, people getting shot and killed, businesses looted, and increases poverty.

8. Lebron James out of ignorance egregiously makes unwarranted false suppositions about the mindset of the police, further contributing to the BLM conspiracy theory mass hysteria.

9. James is behaving like a bigot, generalizing about cops and White people and all, exactly the way people of Black communities don't want to be generalized themselves by White people.

10. Professional athletes need to stop talking about this stuff because they only make matters worse.

11. We should stop worshiping sports stars, as that sets us up to be deceived by them when they step away from their sport and step in front of the political microphone.

Yes, here's a former sports athlete who knows better than to jump to conclusions about current events and politics, and instead waits to gather more accurate information and process it intelligently to logically derive at conclusions and let's the law enforcement professionals present the matters.

If anyone knows other sports athletes it's him .. and his clear and accurate message about these sports stars is that sports stars are nearly always politically topically ignorant, thus they're spreading that ignorance and misinformation into the public political arena making terrible situations worse.

Funny thing is the person making this argument is an ex-NFL player that constantly makes racists/non-educated political statements.

Fired from the Kansas City Star
Fired from ESPN
Fired from AOL Sports
Fired from Fox Sports

Now is he signed up to some alt-right sports podcast? What a loser. Why should ANYONE listen to this former ex-NFL player?

Last edited:
Jason Whitlock talks about politics because he is a sellout on sports:

Pick a prominent black athlete, make them your sworn enemy, and drive this narrative for clicks to entrench the bank account.

Last edited:
Sports Athletes Should Be Completely Ignored When They Rant Political

<Rest snipped for length>

So we should listen to your ignorant opinion that we should not listen to other people's opinions. The best part is you do not even realize the glaring hypocrisy...

Yes, entertainers should just entertain us.

That is their mission in life.

When they speak out about politics, they offend some of their fans and thus ruin the fantasy that we all have about them. (Just think of how many people idolize those guys & gals who throw a basketball through a hoop.)

For example, I lost my respect for that actress who plays in "Will and Grace" and that actress who played in the "Seinfeld" series. I don't want to know about their politics. I want to think that they are the people whose characters they play on TV. (To the best of my knowledge, the actors who played in "Friends" have so far kept their mouths shut on politics. So I can continue to laugh at their antics without being reminded of their real-life politics.)

When they speak out about politics, they offend some of their fans and thus ruin the fantasy that we all have about them. (Just think of how many people idolize those guys & gals who throw a basketball through a hoop.)

For example, I lost my respect for that actress who plays in "Will and Grace" and that actress who played in the "Seinfeld" series. I don't want to know about their politics. I want to think that they are the people whose characters they play on TV. (To the best of my knowledge, the actors who played in "Friends" have so far kept their mouths shut on politics. So I can continue to laugh at their antics without being reminded of their real-life politics.)

Man, I know what you mean! Sports stars being active in politics would be almost as absurd as a movie actor wanting to be governor or president. And nothing more absurd than a reality TV star talking about politics...

The highlights:

Movie stars, musicians, pro sport players.....just stay out of politics, will ya? I guess some think their opinion means something....who cares.

Ok, then start your correspondence to DJT, because that entertainer should definitely keep his mouth shut and we all continue to laugh at his attempt to be POTUS

They should know their place!

You hit the nail on the head!

And their place is a very lucrative one, indeed.

Have a nice new work week!

You realize I was being facetious right?

The need for people to know their place is an authoritarian attitude.

Ok, then start your correspondence to DJT, because that entertainer should definitely keep his mouth shut and we all continue to laugh at his attempt to be POTUS

No need to write him, for he will be gone, gone, gone in four more months.

Then it will be the turn of Mr. Biden to play President and Ms. Harris to play Vice President.

Have a nice new work week!

I feel exactly the same way about 99% of anonymous online debate posters.
Though I appreciate you making me the exception, I would advise against your obvious self-loathing, as that can contribute to mental illness and make you susceptible to be seduced by, you know .. conspiracy theory mass hysteria. ;)

Still, if I, like James, had 40 million followers, BLM's conspiracy theory mass hysteria would have long been halted .. and I likely wouldn't be hanging around here. :cool:

Funny thing is the person making this argument is an ex-NFL player that constantly makes racists/non-educated political statements.
Here you make false statements about the messenger merely because you don't like the truth of the message, the message that LeBron James and other sports stars are ignorant and contribute to BLM's conspiracy theory mass hysteria .. which you politically support. :shock:

Fired from the Kansas City Star
Nope, false.

Jason Whitlock - Wikipedia
In 1994, Whitlock was hired by the Kansas City Star. The Scripps Howard Foundation awarded Whitlock its National Journalism Award for commentary on March 7, 2008. Whitlock was the first sportswriter to win the award and $10,000 prize. On August 16, 2010, the Kansas City Star announced Whitlock's departure from that paper.
Whatever you read from some slanted false rag or conjured yourself, here's the straight truth from a more reliable source.

Whitlock won an award while with the Star.

Likely he wanted a raise they didn't give him so he left to pursue other interests.

Fired from ESPN
The first time, yes .. because he dared to criticize management.

But keep reading the Wiki post and you'll see that he was rehired by ESPN. :shock:

I guess ESPN realized their mistake .. and Whitlock stayed at ESPN until he left on his own accord after programming changes.

Fired from AOL Sports
Again false.

There's no indication whatsoever that he was "fired" by AOL Sports.

He wrote a column for them and then transferred to the associated Fox Sports.

Fired from Fox Sports
Again, clearly false.

Read the Wiki link:
Whitlock decided to leave Fox Sports and accept Skipper's offer to return to ESPN

Clearly your hack job is failing, miserably.

Now is he signed up to some alt-right sports podcast?
Absolutely false!

Outkick isn't "alt-right".

Where do you get this crap?!

What a loser.
:roll:

What you really mean is, "this winner just rightly criticized one of my idols, LeBron James, and also exposed BLM's conspiracy theory mass hysteria which I support, thus I'm pissed about it so I'm just going to write false libelous statements about him".

Why should ANYONE listen to this former ex-NFL player?
Because he clearly and obviously tells the truth.

:cool:

So we should listen to your ignorant opinion that we should not listen to other people's opinions. The best part is you do not even realize the glaring hypocrisy...
Your glittering generality here is so ludicrous it's absurdly funny ..

.. And judging by your erroneous statement here, though, no one should be paying any attention to your opinion at all. :shock:

:lol:

The highlights:

Yea, who does this guy think he is, an American citizen or something? Why should he be able to talk about problems that face his fellow Americans, if he does not have to face those problems anymore, do to his fame?

Either do not be talented and famous, so you can complain and have no one listen, or Be talented and famous and behave yourself.

Good post Ontologuy. A new record for most strawman in a single post, your reputation on here is intact.

Movie stars, musicians, pro sport players.....just stay out of politics, will ya? I guess some think their opinion means something....who cares.
Absolutely true!

Sports stars opining and demanding in the political arena makes about as much sense as President Trump advising LeBron James on how to run an NBA half-court offense, Joe Biden telling James how to improve his jump shot, or Kamala Harris insisting that James dribble more .. with his left hand. :mrgreen:

Yea, who does this guy think he is, an American citizen or something?
Clearly not.

He thinks he is an entitled sports star who is way more knowledgeable about politics than he laughably truly is.

He also thinks that because he's a sports star he's supposed to get microphones shoved in his face so he can rant about politics and social issues that the average American citizen who likely knows a hell of a lot more than this pompous sports star knows about what's going on in America gets, and the average American also knows more than James because James' wealth and status insulate him from the realities the rest of us are quite familiar with.

Yes, sports stars like James have an ego so inflated they truly appear to think that they are beyond being a mere American citizen .. and that their opinion is close to God's so they can just unethically rant about something they know almost nothing about as if they've been given divine approval.

:roll:

Why should he be able to talk about problems that face his fellow Americans, if he does not have to face those problems anymore, do to his fame?
Though intended as sarcasm, your statement taken literally has merit.

James is insulated due to fame and fortune, and thus ignorant experience-wise of late to what's going on in America.

Clearly James' bigoted rant in the video about police officers is so erroneous it's tragic. And his lamenting the fate of a criminal suspect physically attacking police officers while resisting arrest is just outrageously ignorant.

But that's the ethical problem. James is being consulted by unethical media types to given an opinion on a topic which James truly knows nothing about as it's not even close to his expertise or even avocation but the media types do it because it sells sponsors' products. And, also unethical, James complies, as his ego can't help it, and he waxes on, not only making a fool out of himself, but truly harming people in the inner cities who he incites to riot .. for nothing.

Though I wouldn't expect you leftists to grasp this, ethics has value.

Either do not be talented and famous, so you can complain and have no one listen, or Be talented and famous and behave yourself.
Again you intend sarcasm, but taken literally your statement again has merit.

The great majority of actors, musicians, and sports stars are easily sucked in to publicity, and given the opportunity for it they'll unethically rant on about stuff they truly don't begin to comprehend, stuff that they have no business having a microphone shoved in their face to wax ignorantly about.

They clearly do a lot of harm, in this case, inciting a riot where more people get assaulted and killed trying to protect their community and businesses.

But does James get out there and riot and loot and burn businesses with them?

Hell no! He stays safe in his ivory tower of fame and fortune.

Clearly the OP video is right on.

Good post Ontologuy.
Boy, you really do have a penchant for mistaking literally true statements for failed attempts at sarcasm. :lol:

A new record for most strawman in a single post, your reputation on here is intact.
Your false assessments are meaningless, rjay.

What you really mean is that the OP video nailed the egregious breech of ethics sports stars' egos compel them to make that ends up truly hurting people out in the community who idolize these sports stars for sports but are psychologically unequipped to turn that idolizing off when the sports star starts ranting ignorantly about political issues .. but since you, rjay, support the content of James' statements, the ethics of the situation is suddenly meaningless for you. :shock:

We would all do well to ignore sports stars when they talk about politics, as they will only mislead and deceive us, either unintentionally .. or egotistically otherwise. :cool:

The highlights:

This thread is complete waste of your time.

At this point, Americans have already decided for themselves what they think of athletes speaking out.

Your thread will not influence either side at all.

Same should apply to reality TV stars.
Yes, absolutely, big time.

Of course, Whitlock isn't a reality TV star, and neither are other members of the press who report on such stuff.

But many mainstream network television stars wax ignorantly left and right and they would ethically do well to stick to talking about their craft, and for the benefit of us all.

Exactly; Trump should have stuck with bad 'reality' tv. Then again your TV/radio/hi fi has an 'off' button. Nobody is compelling you to listen.

Jason Whitlock talks about politics because he is a sellout on sports:

Pick a prominent black athlete, make them your sworn enemy, and drive this narrative for clicks to entrench the bank account.

Or in other words, "Damn, Whitlock nailed the truth about James and sports stars mouthing off ignorantly about politics and thereby harming people in the inner communities who idolize him .. and I, Bucky, support the same BLM conspiracy theory mass hsysteria that James does."

:shock:

Conservatives should be ignored when they say anything ever.

Back
Top Bottom