• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

spme bad news for US Olympics team. Spoiler alert don't read if you don't know

That makes two world class athletes who are out for "mental issues", the other being the female tennis player. Bad sign when two of the best can't handle the pressure.

Confidence in how you expect your body to preform, has a lot to do with people performing at that level.
If your body does not respond like you expect it to, it can break that confidence.
IMOHO, I think Biles lost her confidence, and withdrew, because staying in would add lower scores to the team's average,
and could possibly take them out of medal contention, all together.
On her only vault, she scored 13.766. In Rio, she scored 15.933 on the same apparatus.
it does not take many low scores to drag down a team average.
Simone Biles Says She Pulled Out Of Gymnastics Finals Due To Mental Health Concerns
"I can't risk a medal for the team, so I need to call it. And you usually don't hear me say things like that because
I usually persevere and push through things," she said, and added that her coaches and team doctor took her words seriously.
The final score for the Russia Olympic Committee was 169.528, winning gold, and the U.S. scored 166.096 for silver.

I don't think that those being so critical of her appreciate how badly she could hurt herself is she "off" during one of her unbelievable routines. She takes incredible physical risks which require incredible focus.....if she is off it good be disastrous........but they say "suck it up buttercup' from their chesterfields remotes in hand.

I don't think that those being so critical of her appreciate how badly she could hurt herself is she "off" during one of her unbelievable routines. She takes incredible physical risks which require incredible focus.....if she is off it good be disastrous........but they say "suck it up buttercup' from their chesterfields remotes in hand.
Furthermore, she has withdrawn from the individual all-around competition as well. I don't think some people understand how badly a gymnast can be injured if their head isn't in it.

First, Phelps is the GOAT of Olympic competition and it's not even close.

Biles on the other hand is one of the greatest, if not greatest, gymnasts of all time and certainly a lot more likeable than Phelps(more a positive on Biles than a negative on Phelps).

We've been huge fans of hers since she first started competing on the Olympic stage. Just an incredible athlete who had spunk and so much fun to watch. It was really heartbreaking to hear what happened.

*clink*

A toast to one of America's finest.
Oh it's close. Usain Bolt. Winning the 100 and 200 THREE times is unfathomable.
If I had to choose one, I,d go with Phelps but it's close.

Yeah, after she withdrew.
Ah, timing is everything. IMO, she blew her vault because she couldn't handle the intense pressure of being a returning champion, which in her case meant that doing things that no other gymnast can do and doing them perfectly has become the new normal, magnified by being the Olympics.

Now having blown her vault, she withdrew in order to prevent causing her team to miss a medal with further poor performances.

Is that what you mean?

NBC sure isn't thrilled about it.
She had to have been the # draw for ratings.

Furthermore, she has withdrawn from the individual all-around competition as well. I don't think some people understand how badly a gymnast can be injured if their head isn't in it.
People in here saying bad things about her have no clue what it’s like to compete on a world stage, and will never accomplish close to what she has in her life. It takes a big loser to rip on a young lady who is having mental health issues. Perhaps they are mad because they need to live through her to make their pathetic lives worth something?

People in here saying bad things about her have no clue what it’s like to compete on a world stage, and will never accomplish close to what she has in her life. It takes a big loser to rip on a young lady who is having mental health issues. Perhaps they are mad because they need to live through her to make their pathetic lives worth something?
Nah, it's a take on "See, women are too weak to handle the pressure."

Nah, it's a take on "See, women are too weak to handle the pressure."
Lots of people, both men and women, get the yips under Olympic pressure. I remember a few Olympiads ago a male diver who nobody expected to do much ripped off a couple of the best dives in his life and was in the lead with 3 dives to go. On his next dive, he got the yips in the middle of the dive, forgot how to do what he was doing and literally did a belly flop in front of God and everybody, not to mention millions of spectators on TV.

I had the pleasure of attending parts of the London Olympics in 2012 and watched the trap shooting contest. The trap contest has a preliminary of 100 clays, with the results of a final 25 clays added to decide the medals. One shooter set a preliminary record that will never be broken - 100 out of 100. Clearly he had the skill to shoot 25 more, but in the final the pressure got to him and he missed four clays and finished an agonizing fourth.

In the words of the great Yogi Berra - "Half the game is 90% mental", and there's nowhere that's more true than at the Olympics.

Lots of people, both men and women, get the yips under Olympic pressure. I remember a few Olympiads ago a male diver who nobody expected to do much ripped off a couple of the best dives in his life and was in the lead with 3 dives to go. On his next dive, he got the yips in the middle of the dive, forgot how to do what he was doing and literally did a belly flop in front of God and everybody, not to mention millions of spectators on TV.

I had the pleasure of attending parts of the London Olympics in 2012 and watched the trap shooting contest. The trap contest has a preliminary of 100 clays, with the results of a final 25 clays added to decide the medals. One shooter set a preliminary record that will never be broken - 100 out of 100. Clearly he had the skill to shoot 25 more, but in the final the pressure got to him and he missed four clays and finished an agonizing fourth.
Yep lots of people get the yips under pressure. Not the Olympics but if you saw Cody Bellinger's throw last night ...ai yi yi...talk about the yips

That wasn't the yips. Max Muncy moved into his line of sight forcing him to throw high. He shouldn't have thrown it. But anyway, carry on.

Yep lots of people get the yips under pressure. Not the Olympics but if you saw Cody Bellinger's throw last night ...ai yi yi...talk about the yips

That wasn't the yips. Max Muncy moved into his line of sight forcing him to throw high. He shouldn't have thrown it. But anyway, carry on.
still funny though.
HE's having a whole YIPS year though. Stinkin up the joint.

Indeed. The Dodgers had Steve Sax who was King of the yips (second baseman) and more recently a pitcher, Brandon McCarthy. Yips are a thing but imagine other GOATs - Jordan, Kobe, Brady etc getting the yips before the biggest game of their lives. Wouldn't happen.

still funny though.
HE's having a whole YIPS year though. Stinkin up the joint.

Indeed. The Dodgers had Steve Sax who was King of the yips (second baseman) and more recently a pitcher, Brandon McCarthy. Yips are a thing but imagine other GOATs - Jordan, Kobe, Brady etc getting the yips before the biggest game of their lives. Wouldn't happen.
I think most of the superstar players, would gladly sit out a game, if they thought their doing so would help the team.

Disagree. They would think they could will their team to a win. And they probably could...thats what makes them GOATS. Watch the Jordan documentary or Kobe's documentary about coming back from a blown out Achilles. These are driven people. They're freaks.

I think most of the superstar players, would gladly sit out a game, if they thought their doing so would help the team.

Disagree. They would think they could will their team to a win. And they probably could...thats what makes them GOATS. Watch the Jordan documentary or Kobe's documentary about coming back from a blown out Achilles. These are driven people. They're freaks.
we will have to disagree, Biles is just as driven as they are, but understood, how to best help her team.

Just to put Biles' accomplishments into perspective:

Suni Lee won the gold in the women's individual all around by .135 of a point. Which is typical in a sport that tracks scores to the thousandth of a point.

Simone Biles won the gold in the women's individual all around in 2016 by 2.1 whole points. Which is greater than the margin of victory than the other 10 Olympiads held from 1980 - 2020.

Combined.

Winning in gymnastics by more than two points is like winning a football game 200 - 17. Or being a baseball batter and hitting .490 with 110 home runs and 250 RBI.

Just to put Biles' accomplishments into perspective:

Suni Lee won the gold in the women's individual all around by .135 of a point. Which is typical in a sport that tracks scores to the thousandth of a point.

Simone Biles won the gold in the women's individual all around in 2016 by 2.1 whole points. Which is greater than the margin of victory than the other 10 Olympiads held from 1980 - 2020.

Combined.

Winning in gymnastics by more than two points is like winning a football game 200 - 17. Or being a baseball batter and hitting .490 with 110 home runs and 250 RBI.
No one said Biles was not good in 2016. It has nothing to do with it. We are talking she quits the team event in 2021.
The main Q is why she is on the team when she is not healthy? What happened to her support team (coach, sport psy)?

P.S. YOu know you lose the war when you need to bring in the history.

Last edited:
YOu are dead wrong. A WInner always wants the ball. My biggest problem is not with her, what s her team doing?'
P.S. Her sit-out did not help the team. USA got silver without her.

YOu are dead wrong. A WInner always wants the ball. My biggest problem is not with her, what s her team doing?'
If she wasn't herself, theres the chance they wouldn't even have gotten that.

Bear in mind that Jordan Chiles filled in with better scores than she averages normally. If Biles isn't in the right mind to reach at least those scores, its a definite possibility that they don't even get the silver.

She did the right thing.

Oh, and on another note.....your statement about winners wanting the ball doesn't take into account the fact that sometimes they don't have the intestinal fortitude to recognize that them having the ball might not be whats in the best interest of the team. I can tell you this much.....as a Lakers fan, I love me some Kobe Bryant. Having said that, I absolutely hate that he didn't put the team first his last two seasons when it was painfully obvious that he didn't really have it anymore (compared to himself...compared to most others, he was still a killer) after his achilles injury, but wouldn't take less money to help them get more players to help out. THAT is when a "winners mentality" can be a detriment.

If she wasn't herself, theres the chance they wouldn't even have gotten that.

Bear in mind that Jordan Chiles filled in with better scores than she averages normally. If Biles isn't in the right mind to reach at least those scores, its a definite possibility that they don't even get the silver.

She did the right thing.

Oh, and on another note.....your statement about winners wanting the ball doesn't take into account the fact that sometimes they don't have the intestinal fortitude to recognize that them having the ball might not be whats in the best interest of the team. I can tell you this much.....as a Lakers fan, I love me some Kobe Bryant. Having said that, I absolutely hate that he didn't put the team first his last two seasons when it was painfully obvious that he didn't really have it anymore (compared to himself...compared to most others, he was still a killer) after his achilles injury, but wouldn't take less money to help them get more players to help out. THAT is when a "winners mentality" can be a detriment.
YOu can believe whenever you want to believe. BTW, if winners do not believe themselves, they are not winners already :LOL:

I disagree, she recognized that she could not compete at that level until her body was responding properly, had she stayed in, the US team likely would not have gotten the silver even.

You got it. Even if she never competes again; until someone can beat her record she is the GOAT of women's gymnastics.

In any event I don't know what she is going through but I wish her all the best and respect whatever decision she makes. She also pulled out of the team events after the horrible vault because she did not want to hurt her teammates' chances. They did win the Silver so that's a good thing.
Not up on this. Des she hold the record for gold metals?

Back
Top Bottom