• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

spme bad news for US Olympics team. Spoiler alert don't read if you don't know

KLATTU

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Simone Biles has apparently dropped out because of mental health issues.
Not confirmed, but bases on her performance thus far and that interview last night it seems entirely plausible.
Imo ,women's ' gymnastics is THE toughest sport- mentally and physically. I can't imagine the pressure this young woman was under.

No matter what- she will go down as the GOAT and a first class individual .

I regret I won't get to watch her awesomeness but respect her decision.

I had heard she had withdrawn from the team competition but was hoping she would compete individually. My heart goes out to her, she is a fabulous athlete and a pleasure to watch. Poor kid.

Commentators are saying now that she can still compete in the individual events. Shen has withdrawn from the team competitions. The comments are running counter to your prediction that she'll be the goat at this time. We'll see if she can get at handle on it before she might need to take the stage again.

Not confirmed, but bases on her performance thus far and that interview last night it seems entirely plausible.
Imo ,women's ' gymnastics is THE toughest sport- mentally and physically. I can't imagine the pressure this young woman was under.

I am going to come across as a dick but so be it. Biles is an extremely talented and gifted athlete, however no matter how gifted an athlete if they are unable to perform under pressure they can not be the GOAT. She has let people down and IMO increased the pressure on her going forward. I hope she recovers, collects herself, and can perform going forward at the level she wants.

I am going to come across as a dick but so be it. Biles is an extremely talented and gifted athlete, however no matter how gifted an athlete if they are unable to perform under pressure they can not be the GOAT. She has let people down and IMO increased the pressure on her going forward. I hope she recovers, collects herself, and can perform going forward at the level she wants.
fair point.
But she has done stuff in gymnastics that is far beyond what anybody else has done. That doesn't go away.
If I do a double flip and get 10's and you do a triple flip and get 10's- you are better.

fair point.
But she has done stuff in gymnastics that is far beyond what anybody else has done. That doesn't go away.
If I do a double flip and get 10's and you do a triple flip and get 10's- you are better.
I see your point, however just because I did a triple once with 10’s doesn’t make me better forever. Like if we are in an Olympic competition and you do a double but I drop out an do nothing then you would be better. She is a talented young woman. I can’t imagine the pressure and how social media amplifies it.

She has 4 moves named after her, and has advanced the sport of gymnastics more than any athlete in history. That alone would make her the GOAT.

Then I will just ice the cake with this.....Simone Biles hasnt lost an all around event in 8 YEARS!!!!

GOAT.

What the heck is GOAT
Greatest Of All Time

example-Vince Hancock-no other shooter in Skeet has won more than one gold medal. He has THREE plus four world championships. He is objectively the greatest Olympic skeet shooter in history

She’s pulling out of the team competition because she doesn’t think they’ll win a medal and she doesn’t want to be responsible for losing. Very unsportsmanlike.

Greatest Of All Time

example-Vince Hancock-no other shooter in Skeet has won more than one gold medal. He has THREE plus four world championships. He is objectively the greatest Olympic skeet shooter in history
Talking about damning with faint praise! LOL

Maybe, sHe's Trans? Did anybody check? Really check good? I know it is such a monsterous problem in all girl's and women's sports we should pass some laws 'just in case.'

She’s pulling out of the team competition because she doesn’t think they’ll win a medal and she doesn’t want to be responsible for losing. Very unsportsmanlike.
they got silver despite her bailing out but this won't be a shining addition to her wonderful legacy.

I saw it when it broke on the Today show this morning (I've been watching it for the Olympic updates). I watched the team qualifying round and she was absolutely "off" and made a few mistakes.

She is amazing and takes my breath away every time I watch her. She's a tough little girl. I hope she is able to perform in the individual events. My heart goes out to her and her teammates who I'm sure are devastated by this sad turn of events.

Well, we certainly heard two different things from the same words. She is pulling out because she doesn't want to be the reason her team doesn't finish well. She said they were amazing and can win gold all on their own and that she is worried, given her current state of mind, that she will pull them down.

Last edited:
She has 4 moves named after her, and has advanced the sport of gymnastics more than any athlete in history. That alone would make her the GOAT.

Then I will just ice the cake with this.....Simone Biles hasnt lost an all around event in 8 YEARS!!!!

GOAT.
You got it. Even if she never competes again; until someone can beat her record she is the GOAT of women's gymnastics.

In any event I don't know what she is going through but I wish her all the best and respect whatever decision she makes. She also pulled out of the team events after the horrible vault because she did not want to hurt her teammates' chances. They did win the Silver so that's a good thing.

I hope she's OK. I feel like gymnastics is a bit too predatory in how it is run, pushing girls at too young of an age too hard. Apparently they peak earlier than boys do, so that is the driving factor but that is something that can be addressed with updated rules.

You are a dick because you have absolutely no idea what has triggered this decision and you're still criticizing her for it. For all you know her mother just got a terminal cancer diagnosis.

Bullshit. That is so unfair. And wrong.
No it isn’t. What Biles is doing is the equivalent of flipping over the chess board when you think you’ll lose. Her attitude that if she isn’t going to win medals then she won’t compete at all is atrocious.

No it isn’t. What Biles is doing is the equivalent of flipping over the chess board when you think you’ll lose. Her attitude that if she isn’t going to win medals then she won’t compete at all is atrocious.
Man, that's nasty.

No, its not. Shes doing what is best for the team, at least in her estimation of where she is mentally.

What you are advocating for would be the equivalent of Tom Brady breaking his right hand and being so selfish that he feels like he could still be as effective left handed.

She may still do the individual events, which she would be responsible for only herself in. Her medal to lose. She did the right thing for the team.

Back
Top Bottom