• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Spitzer and Weiner back in politics and thriving

I don't care what political party any of them belong to - it says a lot that partisans on either side seem to be able to toss out an endless list of the other side's reprobates.

In a country of about 310,000,000 people, don't you have a few other competent people interested in serving the good of the country?

As to these two, great idea having the guy who spent tens of thousands on prostitutes in charge of the city's money and the guy who prostituted himself as the mayor. Makes you wish the days of Mrs. Bloomers could continue.

and thankfully, most Americans could give a **** what you or i or they do in their bedrooms

How a pathetic does it become when a poster wants to argue which party is more corrupt. I simply responded to a poster who said that if Weiner and Vitter had been Republicans, they could not stage a comeback after what they did. I gave him two examples of Republicans, he said "oops" and that was it ... both parties suck, but if you want to compare, CREW comes up with a list of most corrupt politicians and in 2012 Republicans "won" 8 to 4 and 5 to 3 on the dishonorable mention list. CREW's Most Corrupt Members of Congress ... I know, I know, CREW is biased!

Not pathetic at all once you look into the whole record and Not just one year here and there. None dispute the general knowledge that both are corrupt. As well as some other parties.

Look at Illinois they have had at least 6 or 7 governors all indicted. 5 of them being Republican. All getting locked up and getting that tag.....Convicted, felon, criminal!

I can't speak for the voting habits of the 10 people in the 5th district of south carolina, but I don't think that's the same as two of the most powerful political positions in New York, progressive mecca of the liberal universe.

Wow, such denial. You are given two perfect examples of Republicans being elected back to office after showing moral failings, one of them even using tax payer dollars to go to **** his mistress, and you let that one slide because he comes from a place that isn't very populated? That's a piss poor excuse if I've ever seen one. Man up and just admit that either side is willing to forget about a politicians marital infidelity if they have the right letter behind there name. Or you can keep being in denial.

Not pathetic at all once you look into the whole record and Not just one year here and there. None dispute the general knowledge that both are corrupt. As well as some other parties.

Look at Illinois they have had at least 6 or 7 governors all indicted. 5 of them being Republican. All getting locked up and getting that tag.....Convicted, felon, criminal!

did you mean to say five of them were Democrats? Can you provide data over the long term that supports your claim? I don't think you'll find them ...

A mayor for the city that never sleeps ... seems more than a good match ... and ya gotta admit, with his active imagination Weiner will think outside the box.

feinstein - weiner.jpg

I can't speak for the voting habits of the 10 people in the 5th district of south carolina, but I don't think that's the same as two of the most powerful political positions in New York, progressive mecca of the liberal universe.

Oh come on, you got caught, just admit you're wrong :lol:

did you mean to say five of them were Democrats? Can you provide data over the long term that supports your claim? I don't think you'll find them ...

Heya WD
yo2.gif
.....sorry about that. I was wrong. The Last 6 were 3 and 3.

Convicted[edit]
Len Small (R), governor from 1921 to 1929, was indicted in office for corruption. He was acquitted; thereafter, eight of the jurors received state jobs. Among his defense lawyers was former governor Joseph W. Fifer, who asserted, in pre-trial hearings, that the governorship has the divine right of kings.[4]
William G. Stratton (R), governor from 1953 to 1961, was acquitted of tax evasion in 1965.[5]

Otto Kerner, Jr. (D), governor from 1961 to 1968; Stratton's successor and later a judge on the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, was convicted of 17 counts of bribery, conspiracy, perjury, and income-tax charges from his time as governor,[6] and received three years in prison and a $50,000 fine in 1973. He was prosecuted by future Illinois governor Jim Thompson.[6]
Daniel Walker (D), governor from 1973 to 1977, was later involved in the savings and loan scandals and convicted of federal crimes related to fraudulent loans to himself from his own First American Savings & Loan Association of Oak Brook. He was sentenced to seven years in prison with five years of probation following his release.[7]
George Ryan (R), governor from 1999 to 2003, was convicted in 2006 of corruption related to his time as Illinois Secretary of State in the 1990s, when commercial driver's licenses were issued to unqualified truckers in exchange for bribes, and one of the truckers was involved in a crash that killed six children. Former governor Jim Thompson, whom Ryan had served under as Lieutenant Governor of Illinois in the 1980s, was manager of the law firm that defended Ryan.[8] Ryan was released in 2013.
Rod Blagojevich (D), governor from 2003 to 2009, and Ryan's successor, was impeached and removed from office by the Illinois General Assembly in a unanimous vote in January 2009 after being tied to multiple "pay to play" schemes, including attempting to sell the former Senate seat of recently elected President Barack Obama.[1] In August 2010, he was convicted of lying to the FBI in connection with the investigation, but the jury deadlocked on 23 other charges.[9] Blagojevich was retried on 20 counts from his 2010 trial and on June 27, 2011, Blagojevich was convicted on 17 counts of fraud, acquitted on one count and the jury was hung on two. On December 7, 2011, Blagojevich was sentenced to 14 years in prison.

Governor of Illinois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Illinois has long legacy of public corruption

At least 79 elected officials have been convicted of wrongdoing since 1972.....

Illinois’ official slogan is the “Land of Lincoln,” but an equally apt descriptor would be the “Land of Greased Palms.”

The state, Cook County and its governmental seat, Chicago, have a long history of corruption by elected and appointed officials.

The culture of corruption dates back to the late 19th century, when a gambling-house owner named Michael Cassius McDonald created the city's first political machine, establishing a model in which officials would distribute contracts, jobs and social services in exchange for political support, according to a scholarly history of organized crime in Chicago by Robert Lombardo, a sociology professor and former Chicago and Cook County police officer.

Its persistence was documented in Sept. 7, 2006 by the Chicago Sun-Times, which reported that at least 79 current or former Illinois, Chicago or Cook County elected officials had been found guilty of a crime by judges, juries or their own pleas since 1972. The paper provided this tally of the tarnished: three governors, two other state officials, 15 state legislators, two congressmen, one mayor, three other city officials, 27 aldermen, 19 Cook County judges and seven other Cook County officials.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/28141995/...t/illinois-has-long-legacy-public-corruption/

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but the guy sent sent a picture of his protruding boxer briefs to another woman. He didn't have an actual affair, he didn't leave his suffering wife for another woman, and he didn't kill anybody.

And then he lied about it. And told people his phone / account was hacked, that he never sent any such thing...

I do think you have a point, but...

John Edwards Indicted - YouTube

Have any of the republicans you mentioned locked themselves in a hotel bathroom to avoid the national enquirer?

dunno. but I never made any really stupid comment about how this party is far more immoral than that party either... as the OP clearly did.

Oh come on, you got caught, just admit you're wrong :lol:

What Spitzer/Weiner did was 10 times creepier than an extramarital affair(one of the madams who use to get spitzer his hookers is running against him for christ's sake), and the political positions they are vying for are 50 times more powerful than governor of a small southern state.

not the same thing unless you are someone trying to rationalize how weiner/spitzer aren't political poison. sanford was a coast-to-coast punchline for weeks and weeks and his discretion was common-place in comparison. you can see the difference if you REALLY think hard. try it

Last edited:
What Spitzer/Weiner did was 10 times creepier than an extramarital affair(one of the madams who use to get spitzer his hookers is running against him for christ's sake), and the political positions they are vying for are 50 times more powerful than governor of a small southern state.

not the same thing unless you are someone trying to rationalize how weiner/spitzer aren't political poison. sanford was a coast-to-coast punchline for weeks and weeks and his discretion was common-place in comparison. you can see the difference if you REALLY think hard. try it

There's really no difference, and I see no problem with any of them getting back into politics, I like Weiner, and Spitzer, and would vote for them if I could. I don't agree with Sanford's political views, but I don't think his affair should be a deterrent for someone who wants to vote for him.

You just wanna attack Democrats, and will take any excuse to do so. That's fine I guess if that's what gets your rocks off, but don't expect to come here and not be called on it.

and thankfully, most Americans could give a **** what you or i or they do in their bedrooms

I would agree with you, generally - certainly, I don't care about a person's private life, provided it remains private. What complicates the issue is that these "gentlemen" want you to believe they are trustworthy while at the same time, in the most solemn relationship of their lives, they couldn't be trusted by their spouse. Particularly disgusting, in my view, is a man who cats around with a pregnant wife at home.

If these "gentlemen" want to remain private citizens, they can do whatever they want. When they want to put themselves up as people deserving the trust of the public, they're scum in my book.

I guess I'll make the controversial stand that I care what politicians due in their job over what they do at home.

So let me see if I have this correctly

New York's next mayor will be Anthony Weiner, while his comptroller is going to be Elliot Spitzer.

Wow. Moral bankruptcy is no longer a liability if you are a Democrat, and they appear to have no shame about that fact. And they wonder why the rest of us are scared to death every day they have the reigns of power.

p.s. if these guys were republicans......no chance they are ever heard from again.

The only difference in political sexual encounters is that the Democrats brag about it and the Republicans lie. What else is new?

That bible thumping brings about some weird circumstances. Do you remember Bob Barr?

http://listverse.com/2009/05/15/10-cases-of-conservative-hypocrisy/

Hypocrisy: Opposing Abortion While Paying For An Abortion

Bob Barr, is a former member of the United States House of Representatives, representing Georgia’s 7th congressional district as a Republican from 1995 to 2003. He gained national attention as one of several leaders who successfully impeached President Bill Clinton. According to a sworn affidavit by Barr’s ex-wife Gail, the longtime abortion opponent paid for her abortion in 1983. Barr never publicly disputed the affidavit, and the author of the Defense of Marriage Act even invoked a legal privilege during his 1985 divorce so he could refuse any questions on whether he cheated on his second wife with his now-third wife. Barr has recently resurfaced as the Libertarian Party’s nominee for President of the United States (he lost).

(1) He is a "family man;" and
(2) he is pro life. "

Horse ****!!

Last edited:
dunno. but I never made any really stupid comment about how this party is far more immoral than that party either... as the OP clearly did.

I have made stupid comments like that before, but I think the evidence shows that the level of corruption looks more like a close ball game than a blowout for one side or the other.

So let me see if I have this correctly

New York's next mayor will be Anthony Weiner, while his comptroller is going to be Elliot Spitzer.

Wow. Moral bankruptcy is no longer a liability if you are a Democrat, and they appear to have no shame about that fact. And they wonder why the rest of us are scared to death every day they have the reigns of power.

p.s. if these guys were republicans......no chance they are ever heard from again.

The comedic value in this is just golden.

Heya WD
yo2.gif
.....sorry about that. I was wrong. The Last 6 were 3 and 3.

Convicted[edit]
Len Small (R), governor from 1921 to 1929, was indicted in office for corruption. He was acquitted; thereafter, eight of the jurors received state jobs. Among his defense lawyers was former governor Joseph W. Fifer, who asserted, in pre-trial hearings, that the governorship has the divine right of kings.[4]
William G. Stratton (R), governor from 1953 to 1961, was acquitted of tax evasion in 1965.[5]

Otto Kerner, Jr. (D), governor from 1961 to 1968; Stratton's successor and later a judge on the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, was convicted of 17 counts of bribery, conspiracy, perjury, and income-tax charges from his time as governor,[6] and received three years in prison and a $50,000 fine in 1973. He was prosecuted by future Illinois governor Jim Thompson.[6]
Daniel Walker (D), governor from 1973 to 1977, was later involved in the savings and loan scandals and convicted of federal crimes related to fraudulent loans to himself from his own First American Savings & Loan Association of Oak Brook. He was sentenced to seven years in prison with five years of probation following his release.[7]
George Ryan (R), governor from 1999 to 2003, was convicted in 2006 of corruption related to his time as Illinois Secretary of State in the 1990s, when commercial driver's licenses were issued to unqualified truckers in exchange for bribes, and one of the truckers was involved in a crash that killed six children. Former governor Jim Thompson, whom Ryan had served under as Lieutenant Governor of Illinois in the 1980s, was manager of the law firm that defended Ryan.[8] Ryan was released in 2013.
Rod Blagojevich (D), governor from 2003 to 2009, and Ryan's successor, was impeached and removed from office by the Illinois General Assembly in a unanimous vote in January 2009 after being tied to multiple "pay to play" schemes, including attempting to sell the former Senate seat of recently elected President Barack Obama.[1] In August 2010, he was convicted of lying to the FBI in connection with the investigation, but the jury deadlocked on 23 other charges.[9] Blagojevich was retried on 20 counts from his 2010 trial and on June 27, 2011, Blagojevich was convicted on 17 counts of fraud, acquitted on one count and the jury was hung on two. On December 7, 2011, Blagojevich was sentenced to 14 years in prison.

Governor of Illinois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Illinois has long legacy of public corruption

At least 79 elected officials have been convicted of wrongdoing since 1972.....

Illinois’ official slogan is the “Land of Lincoln,” but an equally apt descriptor would be the “Land of Greased Palms.”

The state, Cook County and its governmental seat, Chicago, have a long history of corruption by elected and appointed officials.

The culture of corruption dates back to the late 19th century, when a gambling-house owner named Michael Cassius McDonald created the city's first political machine, establishing a model in which officials would distribute contracts, jobs and social services in exchange for political support, according to a scholarly history of organized crime in Chicago by Robert Lombardo, a sociology professor and former Chicago and Cook County police officer.

Its persistence was documented in Sept. 7, 2006 by the Chicago Sun-Times, which reported that at least 79 current or former Illinois, Chicago or Cook County elected officials had been found guilty of a crime by judges, juries or their own pleas since 1972. The paper provided this tally of the tarnished: three governors, two other state officials, 15 state legislators, two congressmen, one mayor, three other city officials, 27 aldermen, 19 Cook County judges and seven other Cook County officials.

Illinois has long legacy of public corruption - US news - Crime & courts | NBC News

thanks ... a lot of work, I appreciate it ... learned some stuff ... one thing those of us on the right or left should be able to agree on is that too many of our public "servants," the people we elect are not the best from among us ... the good people stay away from politics, and unless we take money out of politics, it will always be that way -- yet, we're going in the opposite direction, with money playing an even bigger role in politics ... when you have lobbyists actually sitting down with Congressmen/women's staff to draft bills (lobbyists who paid for that privilege), there's something terribly wrong ... meanwhile poor, working and middle class people keep fighting these culture wars with each other and forget that none of that matters if you don't have a decent job, can't provide for your family's needs, and if you don't take care of environment ... (sigh)

Somehow I don't think Sanford is going to be the global embarrassment than an Anthony Weiner New York Mayoral term would be. And you could never convince me that a GOP candidate could come back from that kind of scandal and have any chance at such a high office.

Somehow I don't think Sanford is going to be the global embarrassment than an Anthony Weiner New York Mayoral term would be. And you could never convince me that a GOP candidate could come back from that kind of scandal and have any chance at such a high office.

Still ingoring the existence of Newt Gingrich and his obtaining the front running status during the last presidential campaign I see.

thanks ... a lot of work, I appreciate it ... learned some stuff ... one thing those of us on the right or left should be able to agree on is that too many of our public "servants," the people we elect are not the best from among us ... the good people stay away from politics, and unless we take money out of politics, it will always be that way -- yet, we're going in the opposite direction, with money playing an even bigger role in politics ... when you have lobbyists actually sitting down with Congressmen/women's staff to draft bills (lobbyists who paid for that privilege), there's something terribly wrong ... meanwhile poor, working and middle class people keep fighting these culture wars with each other and forget that none of that matters if you don't have a decent job, can't provide for your family's needs, and if you don't take care of environment ... (sigh)

Yeah....I am glad ya pointed it out to me. Looking it up I learned a fact or two myself. ;)

Still ingoring the existence of Newt Gingrich and his obtaining the front running status during the last presidential campaign I see.

which is why it lasted about 5 minutes.
So let me get this straight. You look in the dictionary under creepy weirdo and there's a picture of this Weiner guy. And your argument is that an extramarital affair is on that same level?! Is that really the argument your going with and expect reasonable people to buy?

which is why it lasted about 5 minutes.
So let me get this straight. You look in the dictionary under creepy weirdo and there's a picture of this Weiner guy. And your argument is that an extramarital affair is on that same level?! Is that really the argument your going with and expect reasonable people to buy?

Don't make excuses. There is slime in the Dem party and there are slimes in the GOP. Stop taking your pants off for the GOP and flying them up the moral superiority flag pole. They'll rape you every bit as fast. The only difference seems to be that you don't mind so much when it's an elephant because it's a more moral rape I suppose.

New York's next mayor will be Anthony Weiner
That remains to be seen. He was only up by 5 points, shortly after announcing. It's a long way to November.

while his comptroller is going to be Elliot Spitzer
1) As far as I know, they are not running on any sort of ticket.
2) Spitzer is far from a lock. In fact, he may be facing much stronger negatives than Weiner.

Moral bankruptcy is no longer a liability if you are a Democrat...
As others have noted: Plenty of scandal-plagued Republicans managed to revive their political and/or public careers.

Personally...after 5 years on the lamb...I have absolutely no issue with Spitzer regaining the original position he lost.

His issue to me was like Bill Clinton...great job market...great housing market...Wall Street on fire ...let Bill and Hillary deal with the Lewinsky issue.
In a similar way ...Wall street and the banks still today runs over everybody and he was a thorn in their side for very good reasons.

The guy went away for 5 years ...is very repentant .....I wish he was running for more than Comptroller!!

And then he lied about it. And told people his phone / account was hacked, that he never sent any such thing...

Like other's haven't denied it? I think an unfortunate majority of people would deny that out right at first.

Back
Top Bottom