• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Spirits and Souls [W:103]

Re: Spirits and Souls

The above post is what is mangled--the idea that spirit equals our influence left behind in this world.......If by mataphysical, you mean New Age..then I can't agree with that either....

Edit: n/m, my post is proper.

Look up the meaning of metaphysical.

I don't look at the bible at all... God did not breathe into anything....He created us (spirit) out of Himself....I like to picture it as Source spitting us out--others picture it differently....but the core belief is the same...

I'm not going to try and tell you it's needed, but it is interesting, minus the bloodlines.

Now, since "god" (an I do believe we are talking of the same "god", since I agree that source/ consciousness is preferable to"god".

Of course it's not a "physical" breath since I don't think of it as a "physical" in our sense of an embodied "god", but is useful as an illustration that we are made from god. Spitting out is also useful, either way you are generating a visual in physical reality terms, when it's ultimately a non-physical process...

The overall point remains that it was life before matter, the science is beginning to show that.

You look it up... your posts indicate that you don't have a clue....

This is so boring. Def:

of or relating to the transcendent or to a reality beyond what is perceptible to the senses

That's it, no further effort will be afforded.

I know that some people actually believe this, but your spirit "is" your soul... Some people believe this because they have seen Spirit with a body...this is only an ethereal body which can be manifested at will mostly for recognition purposes....

Okay, maybe you're right, I don't know ... I've just come to embrace the Baha'i teachings on that matter, because I felt Baha'u'llah's writings are the truth. I cannot prove it scientifically, of course, it's a belief.

And the Baha'i religion teaches, as far as I remember, that humans are the only creatures on earth with a soul. That doesn't mean animals are "things", as they are still way above plants and minerals, possessing spirit. But I don't remember exactly what that means in detail. I think it's because animals are not capable of making moral decisions, and it means that animals spirits will not enter the next world after their bodies die. But well possible that their spirits are somehow transformed too, I don't know. I don't believe in reincarnation, though.

At any rate, this is no justification for bad treatment of animals. Baha'u'llah and Abdul-Baha made very clear in the Holy Scriptures that animals must be treated with dignity and gentleness, and while eating meat is not forbidden, it's said that it's better to avoid eating animals.

Absolutely. This does not however make it fact for anyone else. This is why in the arena of debate anecdotal evidence is not accepted as proof. It can however be accepted as a hypothesis to another person.

Which is why it should be stated as opinion and not fact.

For example: I use the Bible only as evidence of what the Bible says, not that it is proof of God's existence according to the Judo/Christian religion.

That's reasonable; especially given that this has been mainly treated as fact without the necessary evidence to make that case...

For hundreds of years, materialist science operated as an alternative to religion, and in many respects this viewpoint was successful...

But now, within the past century, quantum physics has arisen and is showing that the entire materialist viewpoint is inadequate.

In a universe where atoms exist as waves or particles depending if it's being observed or not, where objects can exist in multiple places simultaneously, moving and stationary simultaneously, where signal less communication can occur instantly through entanglement, etc... And when you realize that these are the effects generated at the level of the building blocks of the universe, the materialist position dissolves and we must start to examine the implications of such strange traits of "matter".

The point is; we are at a point where science and philosophy are at a crossroads, and can show gods influence.

That said, the stern materialists are still at a point where denials are possible, but as the experimental evidence builds, the wiggle room of their position is shrinking.

I'm not going to try and tell you it's needed, but it is interesting, minus the bloodlines.

Now, since "god" (an I do believe we are talking of the same "god", since I agree that source/ consciousness is preferable to"god".

Of course it's not a "physical" breath since I don't think of it as a "physical" in our sense of an embodied "god", but is useful as an illustration that we are made from god. Spitting out is also useful, either way you are generating a visual in physical reality terms, when it's ultimately a non-physical process...

The overall point remains that it was life before matter, the science is beginning to show that.[/QUOTE

:). I "think" you just agreed with me?

Okay, maybe you're right, I don't know ... I've just come to embrace the Baha'i teachings on that matter, because I felt Baha'u'llah's writings are the truth. I cannot prove it scientifically, of course, it's a belief.

And the Baha'i religion teaches, as far as I remember, that humans are the only creatures on earth with a soul. That doesn't mean animals are "things", as they are still way above plants and minerals, possessing spirit. But I don't remember exactly what that means in detail. I think it's because animals are not capable of making moral decisions, and it means that animals spirits will not enter the next world after their bodies die. But well possible that their spirits are somehow transformed too, I don't know. I don't believe in reincarnation, though.

At any rate, this is no justification for bad treatment of animals. Baha'u'llah and Abdul-Baha made very clear in the Holy Scriptures that animals must be treated with dignity and gentleness, and while eating meat is not forbidden, it's said that it's better to avoid eating animals.

I have a cousin that is into that religion.....Anyway, that is not correct--animals do have immortal souls and after they die, live happily in the Afterlife, along with the rest of us....Incarnation is true also...but there is plenty of reading available out there on these subjects....

I imagine many people believe that humans have souls. Probably many people believe our pets have souls as well. Do you think every living thing has a soul? If that's true, does that mean every living thing will live on in eternity?

I suppose it depends on what one considers a "soul." If it is an actual, spiritual part of us that exists in some tangible fashion, I would say only humans have souls. My personal belief is a bit broader, in that the soul is an elaborate metaphor for our very nature. We have the ability to manipulate our nature based on our choices, and we live on eternally, whether in an afterlife or through the natural life cycle on Earth. That part I haven't quite figured out for myself yet.

Back
Top Bottom