• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

SPIN METER: 'Help Wanted' counting stimulus jobs

ReverendHellh0und

I don't respect you.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
SPIN METER: 'Help Wanted' counting stimulus jobs

PORTLAND, Ore. — How much are politicians straining to convince people that the government is stimulating the economy? In Oregon, where lawmakers are spending $176 million to supplement the federal stimulus, Democrats are taking credit for a remarkable feat: creating 3,236 new jobs in the program's first three months.

But those jobs lasted on average only 35 hours, or about one work week. After that, those workers were effectively back unemployed, according to an Associated Press analysis of state spending and hiring data. By the state's accounting, a job is a job, whether it lasts three hours, three days, three months, or a lifetime.

"Sometimes some work for an individual is better than no work," said Oregon's Senate president, Peter Courtney.

Now isn't this not suprising. Tell me should this be counted as "stimulous"? I mean technically they worked 35 hours longer than before no? This spin meistering is all going to come crashing down.... Pucker up!

It's completely misleading, but unless this way of counting jobs is new, it doesn't make much of a difference. If current job numbers are misleading in the same way that all job numbers that have ever existed are misleading, that's not news at all.

It's completely misleading, but unless this way of counting jobs is new, it doesn't make much of a difference. If current job numbers are misleading in the same way that all job numbers that have ever existed are misleading, that's not news at all.

So, I take it that you don't believe that the Rahm-Bama spin machine is redefining what constitues a job to make the unstimulating stimulus package look good. You are very naive if you don't see through this crap.

So, I take it that you don't believe that the Rahm-Bama spin machine is redefining what constitues a job to make the unstimulating stimulus package look good. You are very naive if you don't see through this crap.

What does the word "if" mean to you? He stated that the numbers were misleading, with the added statement that overall job numbers are misleading, another true statement.

Where do Rahm and Obama come into it anyway? This was all done by the lawmakers of Oregon on a state level.

What does this have to do with Obama? The article states that the job count is based on state law, and that state law is unlikely to have changed since Obama took office. The numbers are misleading, but they've been misleading since Bush was in office, since Clinton was in office, etc etc etc. There is certainly something to criticize in this state's job counting methods, but this does not provide an effective criticism of the stimulus bill

Actually it's Oregon officials doing the spinning here.

From the OP link:

Oregon's accounting practices would not be allowed as part of the $787 billion federal stimulus. While the White House has made the unverifiable promise that 3.5 million jobs will be saved or created by the end of next year, when accountants actually begin taking head counts this fall, there are rules intended to guard against exactly what Oregon is doing.

The White House requires states to report numbers in terms of full-time, yearlong jobs. That means a part-time mechanic counts as half a job. A full-time construction worker who has a three-month paving contract counts as one-fourth of a job.

It's got nothing to do with Obama.

Now isn't this not suprising. Tell me should this be counted as "stimulous"? I mean technically they worked 35 hours longer than before no? This spin meistering is all going to come crashing down.... Pucker up!

please forgive me, sir, for so STUPIDLY stealing your thunder by DUPLICATING your piece

i'm totally NEWB, and it shows

cliff

Yeah with all these 35 hours a week jobs around, you would think the trillions BO spent would be working by now.

"Sometimes some work for an individual is better than no work," said Oregon's Senate president, Peter Courtney.

That quote right there, from the OP's link, is what bothers me as much as the whole "spin-meistering" does. That was just a heartless statement on Courtney's part. Granted there is a small grain of truth to it, but people are depending on these jobs. It's not right to give someone a job, then take it away 35 hours later. It's like letting a dog sit down, beg and sniff a cookie 35 times, then not letting him eat it. It's those sad puppy eyes, man. Can't help but feel sympathy. :(

I don't think they're giving people jobs, then taking them away. I think they're just producing a lot of short term jobs

while it's true that it's oregonians doing the spinning here and not the white house, who cares about the spin?

what's upsetting is AP finds that oregon for its 176 million dollars of federal stimulus has created the equivalent of 215 "full-time jobs that will last for 3 months," which comes to 53.75 full time jobs for a year

more than 3 million dollars per job

and that, i'm afraid, is entirely on obama

while it's true that it's oregonians doing the spinning here and not the white house, who cares about the spin?

what's upsetting is AP finds that oregon for its 176 million dollars of federal stimulus has created the equivalent of 215 "full-time jobs that will last for 3 months," which comes to 53.75 full time jobs for a year

more than 3 million dollars per job

and that, i'm afraid, is entirely on obama

Go back and read the OP again. The $176 million being referred to doesn't have anything to do with the federal stimulus spending.

These are funds they appropriated through bonds on the state level through a project called Go Oregon.

The “Go Oregon” state stimulus plan authorizes $175 million in bonding to fund projects to address deferred maintenance projects across the state including needed repairs to transportation infrastructure, schools and colleges. These projects will create jobs for Oregonians at a time when the unemployment rate continues to climb.

ODOT Procurement Office ODOT Go Oregon Projects

It doesn't have anything to do with Obama.

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - How much are politicians straining to convince people that the government is stimulating the economy? In Oregon, where lawmakers are spending $176 million to supplement the federal stimulus, Democrats are taking credit for a remarkable feat: creating 3,236 new jobs in the program's first three months.

tumbleweed is right and i am wrong

thank you, cliff

Although the President went to Caterpillar and RV Manufacturers to stress the need to pass the Porkulus spending bill to save jobs, it obviously was just another political ploy to use the financial crisis to scare people into accepting a very reckless government spending program that was never intended to stimulate the private sector and thereby save and create jobs, but instead intended to stimulate the growth of government and to payoff political patronage at the expense of the private sector and jobs.

Nevertheless, considering the millions of jobs that have been loss since Obama became President, the notion that the Porkulus spending bill created jobs is absolutely ludicrous and if you believe otherwise, then obviously you will believe anything Obama and the Dhimmicrats tell you.

Indeed, conservatives warned beforehand that Obama’s Porkulus spending bill would not create jobs and stimulate the private sector but instead would stimulate the growth of government and payoff political patronage at the expense of the private sector, and that’s exactly what happened.

Not to mention that the Obama administration made sure that no one would get to read the damn bill before the vote.

Too bad but had the Obama administration used common sense tax cuts to incentivize the private sector instead, millions of job losses would never have occurred and the economy would be in much better shape today. But to do that instead would run counter to the interests of the Dhimmicrat Party, as getting millions of people dependent and hooked on the nanny state is their real intention and you can’t do that if you have a strong and vibrant economy.

Although the President went to Caterpillar and RV Manufacturers to stress the need to pass the Porkulus spending bill to save jobs, it obviously was just another political ploy to use the financial crisis to scare people into accepting a very reckless government spending program that was never intended to stimulate the private sector and thereby save and create jobs, but instead intended to stimulate the growth of government and to payoff political patronage at the expense of the private sector and jobs.

Nevertheless, considering the millions of jobs that have been loss since Obama became President, the notion that the Porkulus spending bill created jobs is absolutely ludicrous and if you believe otherwise, then obviously you will believe anything Obama and the Dhimmicrats tell you.

Indeed, conservatives warned beforehand that Obama’s Porkulus spending bill would not create jobs and stimulate the private sector but instead would stimulate the growth of government and payoff political patronage at the expense of the private sector, and that’s exactly what happened.

Not to mention that the Obama administration made sure that no one would get to read the damn bill before the vote.

Too bad but had the Obama administration used common sense tax cuts to incentivize the private sector instead, millions of job losses would never have occurred and the economy would be in much better shape today. But to do that instead would run counter to the interests of the Dhimmicrat Party, as getting millions of people dependent and hooked on the nanny state is their real intention and you can’t do that if you have a strong and vibrant economy.

This is a thread about Oregon state funded stimulas spending, not the federal stimulas spending you're referring to. Right river, wrong canoe. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom