• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Sperm count 50 percent lower in sons of fathers who smoke

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/11/181126105455.htm

Studies have repeatedly linked maternal smoking during pregnancy with reduced sperm counts in male offspring. Now a research team at Lund University in Sweden has discovered that, independently of nicotine exposure from the mother, men whose fathers smoked at the time of pregnancy had half as many sperm as those with non-smoking fathers.

The study was conducted on 104 Swedish men aged between 17 and 20. Once the researchers had adjusted for the mother's own exposure to nicotine, socioeconomic factors, and the sons' own smoking, men with fathers who smoked had a 41 per cent lower sperm concentration and 51 per cent fewer sperm than men with non-smoking fathers. The research team at Lund University is the first to have reported this finding.
======================================
This could be a lead for smokable forms of male birth control.

Studies have repeatedly linked maternal smoking during pregnancy with reduced sperm counts in male offspring. Now a research team at Lund University in Sweden has discovered that, independently of nicotine exposure from the mother, men whose fathers smoked at the time of pregnancy had half as many sperm as those with non-smoking fathers.

The study was conducted on 104 Swedish men aged between 17 and 20. Once the researchers had adjusted for the mother's own exposure to nicotine, socioeconomic factors, and the sons' own smoking, men with fathers who smoked had a 41 per cent lower sperm concentration and 51 per cent fewer sperm than men with non-smoking fathers. The research team at Lund University is the first to have reported this finding.

If this is true and they are just now figuring this out then our leaders failed us.

So did science.

then maybe we should reconsider our food stamp policy and allow cigarettes to be purchased with them

then maybe we should reconsider our food stamp policy and allow cigarettes to be purchased with them

RIGHT!...this would have been a very nice bit of information to have 40 YEARS AGO!

RIGHT!...this would have been a very nice bit of information to have 40 YEARS AGO!
Why not send each career criminal a prize letter giving away a free bicycle with free Gatorade for life. Then pull an Idi Amin on each of them as they come to claim it.

And remove all taxes from tobacco products.

And remove all taxes from tobacco products.

When I was in college I traveled up to visit a friend who had become an officer in the Army. He was stationed at a former Nike anti-aircraft missile site in Bristol, RI. I recall buying cigarettes at the station PX for $0.35/pack.

When I was in college I traveled up to visit a friend who had become an officer in the Army. He was stationed at a former Nike anti-aircraft missile site in Bristol, RI. I recall buying cigarettes at the station PX for $0.35/pack.
I had a similar experience back in the late 80's at Osan Air Base. $7.50 a carton w/ a $5.00 off coupon = $0.25/pack.

Back
Top Bottom