• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Specklebang is terminally ill

Crosscheck

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
It's a shame how people you become familiar with can just slip out of your mind when much is going on, and then suddenly you think of them during a bad event or crisis. It's difficult to track the comings and goings of the members here that you don't interact with daily. :(

It is something that we learned of his death. Many of us here are unknown to each other outside this forum. If I or even American passed away would anyone here know? Doubtful. Others would just notice that you stop posting. I think back to the old cantankerous poster Missouri Mule who just suddenly stop posting and I have a feeling he passed on.

polgara

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
He offered once to match the contributions made by members during a month when donations were slow. He probably did it, too, and we never heard him say how much he spent, just to help DP make its goal. He was a fine man, and I join with others in giving condolences to his family.

Speck, the kindle you talked me into buying a year ago will become a special treasure to me. I will think of you every time I watch a movie from now on. I promise.

R.I.P good friend. You will be missed. :boohoo:

Declan

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
It is something that we learned of his death. Many of us here are unknown to each other outside this forum. If I or even American passed away would anyone here know? Doubtful. Others would just notice that you stop posting. I think back to the old cantankerous poster Missouri Mule who just suddenly stop posting and I have a feeling he passed on.

He just happened to have used that unique username enough that made it easier. Had he not posted notices of his impending death though that probably would have been the case with him too. Most people just go away, but on political sites, a lot of posters are older so it is expected. Hopefully he got as much out of thise site as he contributed to it, which I suspect he probably did.

Kobie

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
:(

That's very sad news. Specklebang was pretty cool.

polgara

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Agreed. And honestly, I always feel guilty when I remember someone that I've not talked to in a while.

Greetings, Superfly. :2wave:

Would you or anyone know what might have become of the poster "The Prof?" He/she was so well informed about the inner workings of DC, and was always correct, so I sometimes wondered who it might be, and I looked forward to reading the posts. Suddenly, one day they were no longer posting, and it's been a long time now..

Superfly

~ Road-trippin' musician ~
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonapah
Political Leaning
Independent
Greetings, Superfly. :2wave:

Would you or anyone know what might have become of the poster "The Prof?" He/she was so well informed about the inner workings of DC, and was always correct, so I sometimes wondered who it might be, and I looked forward to reading the posts. Suddenly, one day they were no longer posting, and it's been a long time now..

Looks like his last post was in June, but he has been back "lurking" as recently as the end of October. Could be he just got tired of the place. :shrug:

polgara

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Looks like his last post was in June, but he has been back "lurking" as recently as the end of October. Could be he just got tired of the place. :shrug:

Thanks. *hug*

Moot

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I'm very saddened to learn of Specklebang's passing. He was a good guy. RIP, Speck

US Conservative

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
When Speckle first joined our board, not long after, he let me know that he was going to be off the board for a while...leaving town to go look after his dad - who was dying. I'm glad he was able to help his dad on his journey, and know that he'll meet him again as he welcomes him home.

I have no doubt. RIP.

Green Balls

Resident Cat Expert
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I am also sad to hear the news about Specklebang. RIP.

PirateMk1

Resident Martian ;)
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
So long Martian Ambassador, and my friend. From stardust from which we are born, to stardust when we die, we are all children of the stars. May you find peace my friend.

:cheers:

Medusa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
l hope he is ok

tres borrachos

HoHoHo
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
It's taken me a while to post on this thread. I needed to compose myself.

Specklebang was one of the first posters who ever PMd me. He saw one of my posts about rescuing cats, and we had many exchanges about the subject. He was also a gigantic advocate of adopting cats from your local shelter. The man had a heart the size of Nevada. He selflessly crusaded for animal shelters and animal rescue. He was a good man, and the world was a better place because he was in it.

I hope your kitties who went before you met you at the Bridge. I can imagine the beautiful reunion.

In your honor, I will name the next cat we adopt Specklebang. Your legacy will never be forgotten.

Rest well, Specklebang.

Declan

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
It's taken me a while to post on this thread. I needed to compose myself.

Specklebang was one of the first posters who ever PMd me. He saw one of my posts about rescuing cats, and we had many exchanges about the subject. He was also a gigantic advocate of adopting cats from your local shelter. The man had a heart the size of Nevada. He selflessly crusaded for animal shelters and animal rescue. He was a good man, and the world was a better place because he was in it.

I hope your kitties who went before you met you at the Bridge. I can imagine the beautiful reunion.

In your honor, I will name the next cat we adopt Specklebang. Your legacy will never be forgotten.

Rest well, Specklebang.

I didn't know the guy but I am right there with you. There is this feral calico tom that was hanging out in the woods that is so human shy that I never even tried helping him. I help out some other ferals in the area but they have more human interaction and will come up when you call them and let you pet them and the like. Since tracking down SB's date of death and reading some things about him, I have been making the effort to try to make sure this cat has regular access to food and water and he is starting to not run away when he sees me. I still cannot get too close, but he is warming up to me so maybe by spring I will be able to get him comfortable enough with human interaction to be able to get him domesticated. I have been calling him Speckle Cat and he seems to be responding a little to it ;)

tres borrachos

HoHoHo
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
I didn't know the guy but I am right there with you. There is this feral calico tom that was hanging out in the woods that is so human shy that I never even tried helping him. I help out some other ferals in the area but they have more human interaction and will come up when you call them and let you pet them and the like. Since tracking down SB's date of death and reading some things about him, I have been making the effort to try to make sure this cat has regular access to food and water and he is starting to not run away when he sees me. I still cannot get too close, but he is warming up to me so maybe by spring I will be able to get him comfortable enough with human interaction to be able to get him domesticated. I have been calling him Speckle Cat and he seems to be responding a little to it ;)

You're a good man, Declan. Keep us posted on Speckle Cat. Excellent way to honor SB!

Declan

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
You're a good man, Declan. Keep us posted on Speckle Cat. Excellent way to honor SB!

I am making progress. Just went out and fed him. I can get closer as long as I do not look directly at him. When our eyes meet he runs but as long as I don't focus my attention on him, he stays put. He interacts with a more teenage tom in the area and sees me petting and feeding that cat, and has gotten to where he comes up to the feed spot and waits for me to show up in the morning. I'll be petting him by spring.

reinoe

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
I remember when I started an "I'll answer your questions about healtchare since I'm a licensed agent" he was the only one who asked questions. I could tell he had some sort of issue because he was rejected for medicare supplemental and that only happens with serious issues. He will be greatly missed.

Top Bottom