• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Special report: We all thought Libya had moved on – it has, but into lawlessness and

Wehrwolfen

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Libya has plunged unnoticed into its worst political and economic crisis since the defeat of Gaddafi

By Patrick Cockburn
03 September 2013

A little under two years ago, Philip Hammond, the Defence Secretary, urged British businessmen to begin “packing their suitcases” and to fly to Libya to share in the reconstruction of the country and exploit an anticipated boom in natural resources.

Yet now Libya has almost entirely stopped producing oil as the government loses control of much of the country to militia fighters.

Mutinying security men have taken over oil ports on the Mediterranean and are seeking to sell crude oil on the black market. Ali Zeidan, Libya’s Prime Minister, has threatened to “bomb from the air and the sea” any oil tanker trying to pick up the illicit oil from the oil terminal guards, who are mostly former rebels who overthrew Muammar Gaddafi and have been on strike over low pay and alleged government corruption since July.

As world attention focused on the coup in Egypt and the poison gas attack in Syria over the past two months, Libya has plunged unnoticed into its worst political and economic crisis since the defeat of Gaddafi two years ago. Government authority is disintegrating in all parts of the country putting in doubt claims by American, British and French politicians that Nato’s military action in Libya in 2011 was an outstanding example of a successful foreign military intervention which should be repeated in Syria.

[Excerpt]

Read more:
Special report: We all thought Libya had moved on

Obama’s legacy. We all thought Libya had moved on – it has, but into lawlessness and ruin. No wonder it's a phony scandal to Obama. The death of 4 and badly wounding of another America are nothing compared to the chaos and destruction he has caused in Libya.

shrubnose

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Re: Special report: We all thought Libya had moved on – it has, but into lawlessness

Libya has plunged unnoticed into its worst political and economic crisis since the defeat of Gaddafi

By Patrick Cockburn
03 September 2013

A little under two years ago, Philip Hammond, the Defence Secretary, urged British businessmen to begin “packing their suitcases” and to fly to Libya to share in the reconstruction of the country and exploit an anticipated boom in natural resources.

Yet now Libya has almost entirely stopped producing oil as the government loses control of much of the country to militia fighters.

Mutinying security men have taken over oil ports on the Mediterranean and are seeking to sell crude oil on the black market. Ali Zeidan, Libya’s Prime Minister, has threatened to “bomb from the air and the sea” any oil tanker trying to pick up the illicit oil from the oil terminal guards, who are mostly former rebels who overthrew Muammar Gaddafi and have been on strike over low pay and alleged government corruption since July.

As world attention focused on the coup in Egypt and the poison gas attack in Syria over the past two months, Libya has plunged unnoticed into its worst political and economic crisis since the defeat of Gaddafi two years ago. Government authority is disintegrating in all parts of the country putting in doubt claims by American, British and French politicians that Nato’s military action in Libya in 2011 was an outstanding example of a successful foreign military intervention which should be repeated in Syria.

[Excerpt]

Read more:

Obama’s legacy.
We all thought Libya had moved on
– it has, but into lawlessness and ruin. No wonder it's a phony scandal to Obama. The death of 4 and badly wounding of another America are nothing compared to the chaos and destruction he has caused in Libya.

You thought wrong, Libya has not moved on.

Like the Right in the USA it's stuck in the past, in a Groundhog Day-like time-warp.

"Better days are coming." ~ But not for today's out of touch, running out of time, GOP.

Thrilla

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Re: Special report: We all thought Libya had moved on – it has, but into lawlessness

You thought wrong, Libya has not moved on.

Like the Right in the USA it's stuck in the past, in a Groundhog Day-like time-warp.

"Better days are coming." ~ But not for today's out of touch, running out of time, GOP.

you seem proud that Libya is all ****ed up....

shrubnose

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist

By Patrick Cockburn
03 September 2013

[Excerpt]

Read more:

Obama’s legacy. We all thought Libya had moved on – it has, but into lawlessness and ruin. No wonder it's a phony scandal to Obama. The death of 4 and badly wounding of another America are nothing compared to the chaos and destruction he has caused in Libya.

Are you proud that the Right in the USA is as disorganized and ****ed up as a chinese fire drill?

"Better day's are coming." ~ But not for today's out of touch, running out of time, GOP.

Wehrwolfen

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative

No where have I made that claim. In fact I was against Obama's interference in the Libyan revolt just as I've been in all the Arab Spring actions. In my searches I ran across this and felt it should be posted here. BTW are you proud of the action of Obama in Libya and Benghazi itself?

head of joaquin

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

It's almost as if international politics is complex and shouldn't be left to simplistic idiots like Bush.

CycloneWanderer

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate

It's almost as if international politics is complex and shouldn't be left to simplistic idiots like Bush.

Libya and Egypt both are worse places now that they are in turmoil. Bush should never have injected us into their domestic affairs ...

Thrilla

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other

No where have I made that claim. In fact I was against Obama's interference in the Libyan revolt just as I've been in all the Arab Spring actions. In my searches I ran across this and felt it should be posted here. BTW are you proud of the action of Obama in Libya and Benghazi itself?

umm,Ii wasn't talking to you, no need to respond to me as if I were.

but no, i'm not particularly proud of any of the exploits of most of our recent Presidents.. they've all been pretty much retarded when it comes to foreign affairs.
Obama seems to be rather.. unlucky... in his foreign affairs.... Libya is certainly one of those affairs he wishes everyone would forget about... Syria , well,that's still on the table, but it's not looking to bright.

Thrilla

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other

Are you proud that the Right in the USA is as disorganized and ****ed up as a chinese fire drill?

"Better day's are coming." ~ But not for today's out of touch, running out of time, GOP.

I don't give a **** about the right.. or the left... I don't belong to either.
I think the right and the left are ****ed in the head...and i think its funny neither recognizes their own shortcomings.

have fun with the lefts latest round of warmongering.... :2wave:

head of joaquin

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

Libya and Egypt both are worse places now that they are in turmoil. Bush should never have injected us into their domestic affairs ...

No, they aren't. Moving toward democracy after years of despotism is never an easy process. I'm just glad Obama didn't spend $3T and kill thousands of people like Bush did.

Wehrwolfen

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative

umm,Ii wasn't talking to you, no need to respond to me as if I were.

but no, i'm not particularly proud of any of the exploits of most of our recent Presidents.. they've all been pretty much retarded when it comes to foreign affairs.
Obama seems to be rather.. unlucky... in his foreign affairs.... Libya is certainly one of those affairs he wishes everyone would forget about... Syria , well,that's still on the table, but it's not looking to bright.

Sorry if you feel insulted for a response to your post. I thought this was an open forum. I agree that the some bad choices of presidential candidates have been made. As far as being unlucky in foreign affairs? I personally think Obama has made his own bed and now has to lie in it. Obama retreated from Iraq, interfered with the stability of the Middle East by touting the Muslim Brotherhood, pushed the depose of Kaddafi and Mubarak and now has drawn two redlines regarding Assad and his treatment of his people. We tend to forget how Obama treated the revolt in Iran. Claiming hard luck? Hmm...., ineptitude yes. Just another poor choice in presidents. That's politics for you.

Wehrwolfen

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative

No, they aren't. Moving toward democracy after years of despotism is never an easy process. I'm just glad Obama didn't spend $3T and kill thousands of people like Bush did.

Careful now, this is just starting. TLAMS don't cost ten bucks apiece ya know. Then there's the joker in the pack, Russia. One errant missile, or bomb that hits the Russian port or kills Russians and here comes WWIII. Remember the Chinese Embassy in Kosovo? At least Bubba handled that embarrassment properly. Obama is not noted best for his foreign policies.

Here everyone is talking about Iraq. I remember how Vietnam started and I see comparisons there. Obama has lost it before it has even started.

Last edited:
Top Bottom