• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Special Forces Weapons

PoS

Minister of Love
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
OK, busy writing a new sci-fi book and I wanted to make sure my info was updated on this subject.

Several main characters will belong to the world's various special forces units, to that end I need to make sure that all the weapons they carry are accurate, so if anyone could help me out I will be very thankful. :mrgreen:

On reading various websites, here's what I have in regards to currently issued weapons for USN SEALs:

carbines: FN SCAR, HK 416
submachine guns: HK MP-7
Sniper rifles: Barrett 50, SR-25, AX308
machineguns: FN mk46, M240
pistols: Glock 19

Do Delta and Green Berets carry different firearms?

British SAS:

HK G36, HK 417, Sig Sauer P226, Browning HP pistol

Any info on German, French, Russian, and Isreali spec forces weapons?

OK, busy writing a new sci-fi book and I wanted to make sure my info was updated on this subject.

Several main characters will belong to the world's various special forces units, to that end I need to make sure that all the weapons they carry are accurate, so if anyone could help me out I will be very thankful. :mrgreen:

On reading various websites, here's what I have in regards to currently issued weapons for USN SEALs:

British SAS:

Add the Mk 48 to the machine gun list.

It’s my understanding that in any special forces, targets and deployments are mission specific when selecting personal weapons. Maybe I’m just old school, but I see no evidence otherwise.

Braindrain would be the one on this site to talk about special forces. Turtledude as well

British SAS:

Couple things.
The MP7 AND the 416 is very rare out of SEAL team 6 or Delta the The rest of the teams really don't have acces to it. Not sure if that matters to your story or not.

SF doesn't have the AX308. We also use the XM2010 sniper rifle as well as the MP5 both standard, SD and k versions though the MP5 rarely get used. The CRFs have a few more nonstandard weapons. Like the CSRs

Delta uses a few other more exotic weapons like Surgeon sniper rifles and some SIG 300 black out rifles.

Last edited:
Couple things.
The MP7 AND the 416 is very rare out of SEAL team 6 or Delta the The rest of the teams really don't have acces to it. Not sure if that matters to your story or not.

SF doesn't have the AX308. We also use the XM2010 sniper rifle as well as the MP5 both standard, SD and k versions though the MP5 rarely get used. The CRFs have a few more nonstandard weapons. Like the CSRs

Delta uses a few other more exotic weapons like Surgeon sniper rifles and some SIG 300 black out rifles.

Thanks, BD. Very helpful. :mrgreen:

British SAS:

You have stiff competition given Galaxy's Edge and The Expanse.

I know that when I worked with FAST, they preferred the silenced MP-5 for shipboard and close quarters use.

I know that when I worked with FAST, they preferred the silenced MP-5 for shipboard and close quarters use.

Sorry Im not familiar with FAST, what is that stand for?

Sorry Im not familiar with FAST, what is that stand for?

Fleet Anti-Terrorism Security Team, basically the SWAT team of the Marine Corps security forces.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_Corps_Security_Force_Regiment

They are probably the least known of the US military more elite units. They have operated a great many times, and have been active in the field since at least 1989. But they keep a low profile and most outside of the Marine Corps have never heard of them.

The group of Marines that went to Libya to increase embassy security after the 2012 attack, that was FAST Company. They were the ones sitting in Rota Spain that were supposed to be deployed to bolster security, but was instead ordered to remain in place until after the attack. And that was the last publicized mission they did, the Navy and Marines work hard to keep them out of the spotlight.

When I worked and trained with them from 1990-1993 they were not even allowed to have their faces photographed unless they were wearing regular Marine uniforms and simply identified as "Marines" (their regular training uniforms were black trousers). I still keep in contact with many former members of FAST, and they are still quite a quiet bunch. I knew some involved in Desert Storm, but they rarely talk about it to outsiders.

They also regularly used the CAR-15 in that time period, today is probably a variation of the M4. Other common weapons they trained with were the M9, M1911, Remington 870, and M-249. Others were in the armory (like the M14, M1903, M2, M60, Mk19), but our range was only certified to 5.56 so they had to go elsewhere to use them.

Fleet Anti-Terrorism Security Team, basically the SWAT team of the Marine Corps security forces.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_Corps_Security_Force_Regiment

They are probably the least known of the US military more elite units. They have operated a great many times, and have been active in the field since at least 1989. But they keep a low profile and most outside of the Marine Corps have never heard of them.

The group of Marines that went to Libya to increase embassy security after the 2012 attack, that was FAST Company. They were the ones sitting in Rota Spain that were supposed to be deployed to bolster security, but was instead ordered to remain in place until after the attack. And that was the last publicized mission they did, the Navy and Marines work hard to keep them out of the spotlight.

When I worked and trained with them from 1990-1993 they were not even allowed to have their faces photographed unless they were wearing regular Marine uniforms and simply identified as "Marines" (their regular training uniforms were black trousers). I still keep in contact with many former members of FAST, and they are still quite a quiet bunch. I knew some involved in Desert Storm, but they rarely talk about it to outsiders.

They also regularly used the CAR-15 in that time period, today is probably a variation of the M4. Other common weapons they trained with were the M9, M1911, Remington 870, and M-249. Others were in the armory (like the M14, M1903, M2, M60, Mk19), but our range was only certified to 5.56 so they had to go elsewhere to use them.

They seem a little less...private these days.

https://www.mcsfr.marines.mil/

They also seem rather conventionally armed. I was surprised not to see any Mk18s in any of the sites on FAST I found.

They seem a little less...private these days.

https://www.mcsfr.marines.mil/

They also seem rather conventionally armed. I was surprised not to see any Mk18s in any of the sites on FAST I found.
We have trained with them a time or two. Overall a good experience. Most of the guys had been to a good school or two and were pretty component. Talking with them they did complain the majority of their job was pulling security on buildings and not doing anything too exciting. And I think the odds of them being utilized to retake an embassy that has already been seized are rather slim. Thats the realm of JSOC and it's subordinate units.

Their not being a part of SOCOM probably plays a big role in why their weapons are more standard issue.

We have trained with them a time or two. Overall a good experience. Most of the guys had been to a good school or two and were pretty component. Talking with them they did complain the majority of their job was pulling security on buildings and not doing anything too exciting. And I think the odds of them being utilized to retake an embassy that has already been seized are rather slim. Thats the realm of JSOC and it's subordinate units.

Their not being a part of SOCOM probably plays a big role in why their weapons are more standard issue.

Question, BD- is it plausible for an old grizzled Delta operator to use a customized 1911 as a sidearm? I wanted to add color to some of the personalities I'm creating.

Question, BD- is it plausible for an old grizzled Delta operator to use a customized 1911 as a sidearm? I wanted to add color to some of the personalities I'm creating.

Not really and the main problem is ammo. When you deploy for a trip they are not going to be like well these two guys carry 45s and those three use 40s and everyone else wants 9mm so make sure that's on the pallet. And don't forget spare parts and extra magazines.It is just not practical.

British SAS:

Not sure anyone in the British army still uses the old Browning 9mm Hi Power...there may be some TA units that still have it.

I suppose the SAS may have have retained some out of nostalgia.

Don't forget the Welrod pistol though.

British SAS:

my nephew did a tour as a camp commander (Captain) in Afghanistan. I believe his rifle was an M4. He didn't carry a pistol but some of his men carried M9 (Beretta). He had some Barrett rifles in his command

Back
Top Bottom