• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Special Courts for Veterans Expanding Across US.....

MMC

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
Like all the defendants appearing before Judge Patrick Dugan on a recent Wednesday, Piscitelli and Peters are veterans who chose to have their cases handled in a special court established for those once in the military.

More than justice is meted out.

Before the judge takes the bench, a volunteer approaches the veterans one by one offering help with such things as resume-writing and job hunting. A second volunteer steers them to long-distance runs and fitness classes. A representative from a community college discusses the advantages of higher education.

There's also a worker from the local Veterans Affairs medical center who's checking to make sure defendants are getting doctor appointments, disability benefits, housing vouchers or any other benefit to which they're entitled.

"This is the touchy, feely, kissy, huggy court," explained Janet DiTomasso, who helps administer the Philadelphia court.

The veterans court operates under the philosophy that many of the defendants who have run into trouble with the law need treatment, not incarceration. Some courts only take misdemeanor cases. Some only handle veterans who received an honorable discharge.

The evaluation of the nation's veterans courts is in the early stages. The Department of Veterans Affairs found that 7,724 veterans had entered the courts through 2012, and more than half were still being monitored and treated.

Of those who had finished veterans court, about two-thirds graduated successfully. The others were transferred to other courts, quit the program or suffered illness or death. Studies are in the works to determine longer-term recidivism rates.....snip~

Special courts for veterans expanding across US

Well.....I am somewhat conflicted over this Idea. On one hand I stand for anything that is a benefit for those who Have Served and Shed Blood for this Country. On the other I just can't see Special Courts being set up on a touchy, feely, kissy, huggy court. What next Special Courts for Other groups out there. Thoughts upon the matter.

Like all the defendants appearing before Judge Patrick Dugan on a recent Wednesday, Piscitelli and Peters are veterans who chose to have their cases handled in a special court established for those once in the military.

More than justice is meted out.

Before the judge takes the bench, a volunteer approaches the veterans one by one offering help with such things as resume-writing and job hunting. A second volunteer steers them to long-distance runs and fitness classes. A representative from a community college discusses the advantages of higher education.

There's also a worker from the local Veterans Affairs medical center who's checking to make sure defendants are getting doctor appointments, disability benefits, housing vouchers or any other benefit to which they're entitled.

"This is the touchy, feely, kissy, huggy court," explained Janet DiTomasso, who helps administer the Philadelphia court.

The veterans court operates under the philosophy that many of the defendants who have run into trouble with the law need treatment, not incarceration. Some courts only take misdemeanor cases. Some only handle veterans who received an honorable discharge.

The evaluation of the nation's veterans courts is in the early stages. The Department of Veterans Affairs found that 7,724 veterans had entered the courts through 2012, and more than half were still being monitored and treated.

Of those who had finished veterans court, about two-thirds graduated successfully. The others were transferred to other courts, quit the program or suffered illness or death. Studies are in the works to determine longer-term recidivism rates.....snip~

Special courts for veterans expanding across US

Well.....I am somewhat conflicted over this Idea. On one hand I stand for anything that is a benefit for those who Have Served and Shed Blood for this Country. On the other I just can't see Special Courts being set up on a touchy, feely, kissy, huggy court. What next Special Courts for Other groups out there. Thoughts upon the matter.

perhaps this type of program should be implemented during the discharge phase of enlistment, rather than waiting for our boys to find themselves in a bit of trouble...

perhaps this type of program should be implemented during the discharge phase of enlistment, rather than waiting for our boys to find themselves in a bit of trouble...

Mornin Chez :2wave: .....now that I could see. Not special courts being made up.

Mornin Chez :2wave: .....now that I could see. Not special courts being made up.

perhaps I need another cuppa, but I'm not taking your meaning...(and a good mornin to ye..)

One problem with this in these strange days we live in is that so many vets were thugs before they joined the service and unfortunately may go right back to that life when they go back to civilian life and the use these courts to their advantage.

"According to a recently released FBI report, Gang-related activity in the US military is increasing and poses a threat to law enforcement officials and national security".

"The report, Gang Activity in the U.S. Armed Forces Increasing, dated January 12, states that members of nearly every major street gang have been identified on both domestic and international military installations. Members of nearly every major street gang, including the Bloods, Crips, Black Disciples, Gangster Disciples, Hells Angels, Latin Kings, The 18th Street Gang, Mara Salvatrucha (MS-13), Mexican Mafia, Nortenos, Surenos, Vice Lords, and various white supremacist groups, have been documented on military installations"

Gang Activity in the U.S. Military

Some places have something like that for first time drug offenders. Having a proactive program for first time offenders who are honorably discharged wouldn't bother me so much.

I always thought justice was supposed to be blind.

perhaps I need another cuppa, but I'm not taking your meaning...(and a good mornin to ye..)

I don't see any reason to set up Special Courts.....If they get out of the service and get caught up into something. A regular Court a law can do this. With Vets going thru a Bench trial and no Jury.

I don't see any reason to set up Special Courts.....If they get out of the service and get caught up into something. A regular Court a law can do this. With Vets going thru a Bench trial and no Jury.

Oh, yeah, I agree, but I do believe part of separation should involve all the above mentioned services.

One problem with this in these strange days we live in is that so many vets were thugs before they joined the service and unfortunately may go right back to that life when they go back to civilian life and the use these courts to their advantage.

"According to a recently released FBI report, Gang-related activity in the US military is increasing and poses a threat to law enforcement officials and national security".

"The report, Gang Activity in the U.S. Armed Forces Increasing, dated January 12, states that members of nearly every major street gang have been identified on both domestic and international military installations. Members of nearly every major street gang, including the Bloods, Crips, Black Disciples, Gangster Disciples, Hells Angels, Latin Kings, The 18th Street Gang, Mara Salvatrucha (MS-13), Mexican Mafia, Nortenos, Surenos, Vice Lords, and various white supremacist groups, have been documented on military installations"

Gang Activity in the U.S. Military

Yep SL.....they are everywhere, and even have been setting up operations out in the Rural and Wide Open Spaces.

Course the real kicker there is which ones are tied to Other Countries, politically, socially, and economically. ;)

But I think their crimes will be far beyond just some misdemeanor crimes.

Another round of sequestration and I'm sure the Dept. Of Veteran's Affairs can stop wasting tax dollars on this garbage.

Another round of sequestration and I'm sure the Dept. Of Veteran's Affairs can stop wasting tax dollars on this garbage.

Heya Reinoe :2wave: .....ah, yes that does throw another light on things doesn't it?

Back
Top Bottom