• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Speaking in Tongues

Wake

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
What do you know of it? First is the baptism of water, then the repentance of sin and the infilling of the Holy Ghost.

In the book of Acts, the apostles were filled with the Holy Ghost and spoke in Tongues over 2,000 years ago. They do so today, and are ridiculed just as those in the past.

People say they lie or act; that it is all a facade. My parents have it, as well as some of my friends. I suppose they are facadal? That the hundreds of thousands of them are facadal?

Why have I heard discussions of people from foreign nations that can hear segments of their language in those who Speak in Tongues?

Here is a link I found on a liberal-biased news show that discussed the issue: YouTube - Speaking in Tongues Medical Study proves Holy Spirit praying I tell you this news show is not biased for those who Speak in Tongues.

Will you say they are "drunk", as was said 2,000 years ago?

I want an honest and mature discussion on this issue. What do you think of this?

Last edited:
Does anyone have any thoughts on this issue, or do you have no words to express yourself?

I am tongue tied

A dose of cyanide or snake venom in the right setting tends to open me up though

Your post doesn't make sense to me. No offense.

I want an honest and mature discussion on this issue. What do you think of this?

This is the first time I have ever seen/heard of anything like this and honestly, my first reaction is what a bunch of crazy people.

In seriousness, the mind is a complex organism, and if you focus on believing or wanting something enough it will go through amazing contortions to help you with that task, which would explain why such diverse beliefs such as a Haitian voodoo ritual and a pentecostal church service (with or without cyanide or snake venom) could have such strikingly similar results.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this issue, or do you have no words to express yourself?

I may be wrong, but my interpretation of the apostles speaking in tongues was that in the temple that day, were a collection of many different peoples who spoke different languages. I get the impression that the apostles were preaching the doctrine of Christ and were fully aware of what they were saying. I always believed that it was a miracle of the Holy Spirit that interpreted their message for all present to comprehend - in other words more for the benefit of the listener not the speaker. :shrug: I've never met a person who spoke in tongues and was able to give a translation afterward of what they actually said. Nor have I ever been able to understand the language that was "spoke in tongues"? I've always believed that God's message and the sharing of his Holy Word was meant to be coherent for those to whom we witness? Am I calling it facadal?......No. I'm just saying that it doesn't fit with my understanding of how the Holy Spirit operates. :shrug:

On the other hand, would you say that if a person DOES NOT "speak in tongues," that they have not had a true conversion experience?

Last edited:
This is the first time I have ever seen/heard of anything like this and honestly, my first reaction is what a bunch of crazy people.

I would suggest the effects are similar in nature to the Sufi mystics and whirling dervishes

For something really different google

Snake Handlers, who use snakes as a means to become closer to god

Last edited:
I would suggest the effects are similar in nature to the Sufi mystics and whirling dervishes

Sufi's are weird tho and I have no idea what the effects are considering I refuse to participate in their "praying"

The first time I got invited and observed it, I stood there with my mouth open in shock wondering whether this is really a Islamic branch

Edit: I saw the snake handlers. Wow.

Last edited:
I think it's not a very effective means of communicating. Why speak at all, if people won't understand you?

I think it's not a very effective means of communicating. Why speak at all, if people won't understand you?

I believe the idea is not to communicate with others but to become closer to god through a language that is close to that of the angels

On the other hand, would you say that if a person DOES NOT "speak in tongues," that they have not had a true conversion experience?

Based on the entirety of the Book of Acts and Jesus's words, I would think so.

Why do you think people must be able to understand a spiritual language? What is faith to you, that you would doubt the Book of Acts and Jesus's own words?

On the link I provided in the OP, the brain waves controlling speech of those Speaking in Tongues was not activated, yet those of other religions were. Would we be able to see the brain-speech waves of others outside of those Speaking in Tongues?

So based on this interpretation not speaking in tongues would have dire ramifications that extend beyond ones earthly experience.. yeah no pressure there. This is not divine intervention, this is the mind trying to keep its sanity in light of an overwhelming burden.

Last edited:

Ok, which words and scripture would those be exactly? BTW I think that was actually my quote which you attributed to Panache, just saying.

On the link I provided in the OP, the brain waves controlling speech of those Speaking in Tongues was not activated, yet those of other religions were. Would we be able to see the brain-speech waves of others outside of those Speaking in Tongues?

I would expect Sufi`s would have different brain waves when engaged in the trances they enter. Buddist monks deep in meditation will also have strange brain waves. Given that they are not particulary talking at those times the patterns would be different from those speaking in tongues,

The tongue speakers are not having to concentrate on forming coherent sentences and syntax and stringing a series of precise definitions in sequence, they just need to assemble a string of syllables and intonations, this is more similar to a jazz singer singing scat, it is not really that demanding linguistically, it is just an assembly of sounds.

So based on this interpretation not speaking in tongues would have dire ramifications that extend beyond ones earthly experience.. yeah no pressure there. This is not divine intervention, this is the mind trying to keep its sanity in light of an overwhelming burden.

Ok, which words and scripture would those be exactly? BTW I think that was actually my quote which you attributed to Panache, just saying.

Mm. Read the Book of Acts. You must have the indwelling of the Holy Ghost and be able to Speak in Tongues. There are many who think themselves Chrsitians who haven't recieved God's Spirit and spoken in that Heavenly language; nor have the gifts of the Holy Ghost, such as prophecy. I have witnessed such; truth be told, when I first saw such things, the hair on my neck stood up because it was so unreal.

I would expect Sufi`s would have different brain waves when engaged in the trances they enter. Buddist monks deep in meditation will also have strange brain waves. Given that they are not particulary talking at those times the patterns would be different from those speaking in tongues,

The Boddhist monks in the link had normal speech-brain patterns. We do not know of the Sufi's or those under Voodoo.

The tongue speakers are not having to concentrate on forming coherent sentences and syntax and stringing a series of precise definitions in sequence, they just need to assemble a string of syllables and intonations, this is more similar to a jazz singer singing scat, it is not really that demanding linguistically, it is just an assembly of sounds.

So you think it utter nonsense? I suppose that is a reasonable response from an unbeliever.

Mm. Read the Book of Acts. You must have the indwelling of the Holy Ghost and be able to Speak in Tongues.

I have, more than once. Can you provide specific words of Christ or scripture which says that one must "speak in tongues" in order to receive salvation?

So you think it utter nonsense? I suppose that is a reasonable response from an unbeliever.

to put it in the language of mathematics, I find it to be f ''(x) where x=nonsense.

...Or to put it in Anglo-Saxon, it's utter bollocks. Glossolalia is simple learned behaviour, uttering a stream of word-like meaningless syllables. (in the language of the speaker)

I have, more than once. Can you provide specific words of Christ or scripture which says that one must "speak in tongues" in order to receive salvation?

A quick look up, reveals these passages

* Mark 16:17, which records the instructions of Christ to the apostles, including his description that "they will speak with new tongues" as a sign that would follow "them that believe" in him.
* Acts 2, which describes an occurrence of speaking in tongues in Jerusalem at Pentecost, though with various interpretations.
* Acts 10:46, when the household of Cornelius in Caesarea spoke in tongues, and those present compared it to the speaking in tongues that occurred at Pentecost.
* Acts 19:6, when a group of approximately a dozen men spoke in tongues in Ephesus as they received the Holy Spirit while the apostle Paul laid his hands upon them.
* 1 Cor 12, 13, 14, where Paul discusses speaking in "various kinds of tongues" as part of his wider discussion of the gifts of the Spirit; his remarks shed some light on his own speaking in tongues as well as how the gift of speaking in tongues was to be used in the church.

Personally I think its possible that this is a gift of the spirit, but its not something necessary to be Christian. At least if you look at other passages such as Romans 10:9. It does not imply that a normal human language is insufficient. Personally, to each their own. If someone is more comfortable worshipping this way, than thats up to them. My experience with pentecostals though is that they get all worked up in church and act like judgmental jerks in life (except for my brother, but hes always been a nice guy), so I don't lend much credence to this type of thing because there is no positive change that I can see and positive change is supposed to show forth.

Also Glossolelea (or however you spell it) has been around since at least ancient greece. It is not unique to Christianity. When I used to go to a pentecostal church, I felt the urge to do it and have not since felt the urge in more mainstream churches. This also tells me that there is a certain social pressure to it and if it were true, it would be consistent in that I would always feel it or never have felt it.

Last edited:
What do you know of it? First is the baptism of water, then the repentance of sin and the infilling of the Holy Ghost.

In the book of Acts, the apostles were filled with the Holy Ghost and spoke in Tongues over 2,000 years ago. They do so today, and are ridiculed just as those in the past.

People say they lie or act; that it is all a facade. My parents have it, as well as some of my friends. I suppose they are facadal? That the hundreds of thousands of them are facadal?

Why have I heard discussions of people from foreign nations that can hear segments of their language in those who Speak in Tongues?

Here is a link I found on a liberal-biased news show that discussed the issue: YouTube - Speaking in Tongues Medical Study proves Holy Spirit praying I tell you this news show is not biased for those who Speak in Tongues.

Will you say they are "drunk", as was said 2,000 years ago?

I don't understand it much.

Back
Top Bottom