• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Speaker Boehner: Judge Congress by how many laws it repeals, not passes

Objective Voice

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
:shock: I just came across this article from NBCNews.com and could not believe what I had just read.

Amid record-low productivity on Capitol Hill this year, House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, said Sunday that Congress should be judged on how many laws it repeals, rather than how many new laws lawmakers enact.

"We should not be judged on how many new laws we create," the nation's top elected Republican said on CBS. "We ought to be judged on how many laws we repeal."

Isn't is Congress' job to create laws? I think I read that somewhere. Ummmm...the Constitution perhaps? :roll:

Clearly, he's referring to yet another attempt to repeal ObamaCare, but when you've tried it and failed nearly 40 times (38 on last count), it tells me you're doing an even worse job at repealing laws by your standard, Mr. Boehner, than Congress' present record of only passing 15 laws to day during this congressional session.

Like Gov. Jindal once said of the Republican Party, "Stop being stupid!".

Last edited:
Conservative Republicans favor smaller government - fewer laws means less government intrusion into your daily lives - sounds good to me.

:shock: I just came across this article from NBCNews.com and could not believe what I had just read.

Isn't is Congress' job to create laws? I think I read that somewhere. Ummmm...the Constitution perhaps? :roll:

Clearly, he's referring to yet another attempt to repeal ObamaCare, but when you've tried it and failed nearly 40 times (38 on last count), it tells me you're doing an even worse job at repealing laws by your standard, Mr. Boehner, than Congress' present record of only passing 15 laws to day during this congressional session.

I prefer to judge Congress what the content and quality - not quantity.

Conservative Republicans favor smaller government - fewer laws means less government intrusion into your daily lives - sounds good to me.

Then what he should have said was, "I'll work with members in House of Representatives on both sides of the aisle to repeal laws that are ineffective or fix laws that need tweaking." By asking the public to judge Congress on the number of laws they repeal and he hasn't been able to repeal a single law in all the time he's been Speaker really makes him look like a complete idiot especially considering Congress' low rating.

I prefer to judge Congress what the content and quality - not quantity.

Same here. And they'd get an "F" in my book right about now.

The primary duty of Congress is to represent the will of the people. When it passed the Obamacare scam, in blatant defiance of the will of the people, it was guilty of malfeasance. You're condemning them, now, for attempting to undo the destructive results of this malfeasance.

The primary duty of Congress is to represent the will of the people. When it passed the Obamacare scam, in blatant defiance of the will of the people, it was guilty of malfeasance. You're condemning them, now, for attempting to undo the destructive results of this malfeasance.

yeah but the senate also represents the American people. since both the upper and lower houses of congress are elected to represent the people and one house will not repeal obamacare with out the other complying, there is effectivly a stalemate.

yeah but the senate also represents the American people. since both the upper and lower houses of congress are elected to represent the people and one house will not repeal obamacare with out the other complying, there is effectivly a stalemate.

A stalemate, which gets nothing done, is an improvement over what we got when the Democrats controlled both houses.

Better to do nothing at all than to do that which will only cause more harm.

The senate effectively represents the cities while the house represents everyone else. I see nothing wrong with not working with liberal scum.

i disagree, the republicans have expanded government as the democrats do.

democrats focus on expanding the state into the life's of the people and business.

republican focus of expanding security over the people and the state, and the expansion of the federal governments power abroad in foreign counties....democrats are moving into this area now also.

both are not in the constitution.

Last edited:

Somebody should ask Speaker Boehner why none of those laws that are repealed are those that inhibit women from exercising their reproductive rights.

so in your veiw the people in the city don't count?

The way it is now the rural areas are effectively pitted against the urban areas. This was not the way it was intended, but this is what the people wanted.

Then what he should have said was, "I'll work with members in House of Representatives on both sides of the aisle to repeal laws that are ineffective or fix laws that need tweaking." By asking the public to judge Congress on the number of laws they repeal and he hasn't been able to repeal a single law in all the time he's been Speaker really makes him look like a complete idiot especially considering Congress' low rating

Well, is it the House's fault that the Democrat Senate refuses to take up the majority of bills the House sends it's way? Perhaps the problem is the giant turd stuck in the plumbing of government otherwise known as Majority Leader Reid.

i disagree, the republicans have expanded government as the democrats do.

democrats focus on expanding the state into the life's of the people and business.

republican focus of expanding security over the people and the state, and the expansion of the federal governments power abroad in foreign counties....democrats are moving into this area now also.

both are not in the constitution.

Isn't it at least commendable that one party is trying to get it right? And I did say "conservative" Republicans, not all Republicans.

Well said, Boehner. I wish you could get your way but it is impossible until we get single term limits.

I cannot remember another time or issue that I actually agreed with anything at all Boehner has said. :2razz:

I very much favor repeal of lousy laws, and we have more lousy laws on the books than we have worthy laws.

He should start with the Patriot Act, as Congressman Holt has offered, followed by the AUMF which Congresswoman Lee has proposed.

Get with it Boehner!

The senate effectively represents the cities while the house represents everyone else. I see nothing wrong with not working with liberal scum.

Really? I never read that.

Somebody should ask Speaker Boehner why none of those laws that are repealed are those that inhibit women from exercising their reproductive rights.

Do you have a specific list of laws available?

considering how many times the house has failed in their atempts to repeal the affordable care act, using John Bohners new judging criteria the current congress is a abject faliure.

considering how many times the house has failed in their atempts to repeal the affordable care act, using John Bohners new judging criteria the current congress is a abject faliure.

Agreed. The inability of the congress to get rid of Obamacare is definitely an abject failure.

Isn't it at least commendable that one party is trying to get it right? And I did say "conservative" Republicans, not all Republicans.

well the neo-conservatives like (John McCain AZ, Lindsey Graham SC), control the party, then you have your moderate republicans,<----notice the absence of conservative here( Susan Collins MA, Oylimpia Showe MA, as an example), then social conservatives, then you have a small group of libertarians.

Using any decent criteria, the current congress is an abject failure. Ditto the executive and judicial branches.

So fewer laws protecting our food supply are a good idea, and come at no cost?

You have to love conservative delusions.

So fewer laws protecting our food supply are a good idea, and come at no cost?

You have to love conservative delusions.

If I put a law book in a meat locker, will that protect our food? How many laws make a difference, how thick of a law book would make our food hazard-free? Hmmmm. I'll bet you won't answer without saying "meme", "tea party", "rightwing noise machine", or "delusion".

Could one of you Boner-believers here list the laws that Congress has repealed?

Back
Top Bottom