• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Spartacus Steak.

woodsman

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I’m really going to anger some steak lovers with this recipe. I call it “Spartacus Steak” It’s my own concoction dating back to the early 90s. At that time my friends and I had sort of a man club that would vacation together once a year at my waterfront property on a secluded lake in NH.

The horror is the cut of beef, tenderloin/filet mignon, added to the horror I would purchase the whole strip and cut steaks to 14oz to16oz. There was a method to my madness and it may become clear after explanation.

Ingredients needed: Whole strip just adjust for one or two pieces with the garlic and sauce.

The Beef
One large bottle of Franks Red Hot ( brand specific,no substitute)
Three bulbs of elephant garlic (sweeter than normal garlic) and the size fits the name, diced medium.
McCormick Italian blend seasoning and S&P

Time to play with the beef, The cuts will be to thick to cook at 14oz to16oz, gently press and manipulate them into the size of your standard very thick steak, don’t over do this. The next step is to wet them with the Franks hot sauce taking care they have been covered nice. You then take each steak and smear them with the diced garlic pushing into the flesh slightly. Seasoning time, lightly salt pepper and McCormick blend each on both sides.
Place beef in an appropriate dish ( single layer) or a 2gal zip lock bag and add the remainder of the Franks red hot sauce. The marinade amount should be very wet in consistency. Let sit for three hours (Not) refrigerated. If It’s very hot put some ice in a tray and set the dish or bag on top of the ice if your worried, turn often so the beef stays wet.

Cooking, only one way, get a BBQ going to hellishly hot, sear all sides keeping notice that this beef should be rare. I would always serve this as a gathering event around the grill, cutting off done pieces to be sampled rather than a whole chunk of meat.

I know this mix sounds nuts, but for some odd reason it works, and no, It doesn’t come out overly spicy and hot. I have had professional chefs offer me money for this recipe stating It was the best steak they ever had. This really only works with thick cut tenderloin, why, It’s the manipulation and playing with the meat, It breaks down the grain of that cut that then allows the sweet garlic and sweetness of the sauce penetrate.

Aaaand bookmarked.

I purchase the whole untrimmed loin at Costco, expensive yes , but not off the charts because it is untrimmed and bulk.

I personally find nothing horrifying about the cut at all. Love it, in fact.

I personally am not a fan of Frank's, so I'd substitute, oh, Cholulua, perhaps, for it's wonderful fruitiness and swap the McCormick out for the otherworldly good concoction from Montana, Alpine Spice

Great idea, though.

I personally find nothing horrifying about the cut at all. Love it, in fact.

I personally am not a fan of Frank's, so I'd substitute, oh, Cholulua, perhaps, for it's wonderful fruitiness and swap the McCormick out for the otherworldly good concoction from Montana, Alpine Spice

Great idea, though.

You should go with at least once with my plan, Gods plan, after all I am a culinary God, hahahah

You should go with at least once with my plan, Gods plan, after all I am a culinary God, hahahah

Ha! Sorry, I just don't like Frank's or anything approaching a Buffalo style taste.

But I will make a variant of this and report back.

Frank's has an interesting flavor but is only considered "hot" in parts of Eastern Europe...

My SIL told me about they way he does his. He got this from a friend. Cast iron griddle-frying pan, around 450 or so, IIRC, sear the steak, both sides and transfer to the BBQ.

Frank's has an interesting flavor but is only considered "hot" in parts of Eastern Europe...

Its hot. Its not exceptionally but definitely has some heat. Siracha is better IMO. Its hot too. Hotter than Franks. Their garlic Siracha is hot too, and it only requires a teaspoon to spice up Rancho or Marinara type sauces. I think your idea of hot is the same as my Mexican neighbors, as in holy **** I need milk now or I am gonna die my mouth is melting off my face hot. Call the EMT and the Fire Dept to put me out. Your abnormal in this regard, like all my neighbors.

Its hot. Its not exceptionally but definitely has some heat. Siracha is better IMO. Its hot too. Hotter than Franks. Their garlic Siracha is hot too, and it only requires a teaspoon to spice up Rancho or Marinara type sauces. I think your idea of hot is the same as my Mexican neighbors, as in holy **** I need milk now or I am gonna die my mouth is melting off my face hot. Call the EMT and the Fire Dept to put me out. Your abnormal in this regard, like all my neighbors.

"Normal" is a setting on the washing machine, nothing more. :D

I'll trade you Franks and Siracha and Tabasco for Louisiana Hot Sauce, with the big red spot on the label. Hot, but not uncivilized, and tastes of peppers, too.

Hot sauce on steak? Sorry, but its not for me. If its a good cut, then salt and pepper is all you need. If its not a good cut I would prefer heavy gravy and savory sauces.

THis does not sound quite as bad as the idea that we should smear our steaks with mayo before grilling, which I saw about a month ago on either Slate or Vox.

But I am a gamer, I will try most anything once, and have not tried either idea.

About 6 months ago somewhere I noticed a long argument that we should start our steaks on the grill from frozen. I did try that, and it was kinda ok.

Hot sauce on steak? Sorry, but its not for me. If its a good cut, then salt and pepper is all you need. If its not a good cut I would prefer heavy gravy and savory sauces.

Hot sauce is (basically) pepper, salt and vinegar - some also have a bit of onion, garlic and oil. I find that hot sauce is better than sweet sauce on steak.

Hot sauce is (basically) pepper, salt and vinegar - some also have a bit of onion, garlic and oil. I find that hot sauce is better than sweet sauce on steak.

When I was referring to pepper I meant black pepper. And I never mentioned sweet sauce on a steak either. Putting hot sauce on good meat just wastes it.

You [poor, uneducated plebeian...

As opposed to salt and pepper? Try it, it's absolutely amazing on wild game, and pretty damn good on everything else that bleeds.

You know nothing, Jon Snow. I've known pro chefs and they advise me to use kosher or sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, none of that prepackaged crap.

You know nothing, Jon Snow. I've known pro chefs and they advise me to use kosher or sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, none of that prepackaged crap.

Well I'm already out of that equation; I've never liked pepper on my food. The small amounts in that seasoning blend are about my upper limit.

The only thing that should go on a good steak is salt, possibly some MSG (which, contrary to seeming public belief, is not at all bad for you).

When I was a kid, I used to use A1 steak sauce....but that's because my parents insisted on either grilling or oven-broiling (UGH!) the steak until it was well done.

:shudder:

A1 is great on a burger

But on a good steak....my wife, the chef would kick me to the curb

She has her own seasoning mixes

one for pork, lamb and beef

one for all poultries and fish

unless she is marinading, her seasoning mix is the only thing that goes on

Back
Top Bottom