• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Spanish border fence stormed by African immigrants

Fallenangel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

Over 300 Africans storm spanish border enclave | News24

"Madrid - More than 300 undocumented Africans on Tuesday stormed the fence surrounding the Spanish North African enclave of Melilla in an attempt to enter Spain.
Officials described the assault as "very violent," with migrants throwing objects at police officers trying to hold them back. Six police officers and one migrant were injured."

Well, they are still trying to get to Europe....at any cost.

Fallen.

Logical thing would be to round them all up and deport them forthwith, within 24 hours.

build a bigger wall and make it electrical.

Illegal immigrants are going in the thousands through Lampadusa island which is part of Italy. Through Ceuta and Malila which are Spanish. Thousands land in Malta... thousands go in Greece putting further economic strain and causing problems.

Every god damn week there has to be something.

I am guessing they do not check who gets on the ferry?

Just round them up and send them to Britain.

They will enjoy the heroes welcome.

Chances are some of them were trying to get to Gibraltar.

Why don't they just tunnel under the border like the Mexicans do on our border?

Because **** laws and borders. Sheesh.

Has anything like this happened in America? I figured our illegal immigrant were more......discreet.

Logical thing would be to round them all up and deport them forthwith, within 24 hours.

Illegal immigrants are going in the thousands through Lampadusa island which is part of Italy. Through Ceuta and Malila which are Spanish. Thousands land in Malta... thousands go in Greece putting further economic strain and causing problems.

Logical thing is to hand Ceuta and Mellila back to the nearest African country so that illegal immigrants don't have a European city and wall right next to an African city.

What does everyone expect, sheesh! The Mediterranean should be the border - not a wall between Africa and Europe.

Logical thing is to hand Ceuta and Mellila back to the nearest African country so that illegal immigrants don't have a European city and wall right next to an African city.

What does everyone expect, sheesh! The Mediterranean should be the border - not a wall between Africa and Europe.

Well, those are Spanish territories. They are more spanish than african so handing them over is like asking the UK to hand over Gibraltar to Spain because it's convenient.

Ceuta and Mellila have been Spanish since long before Morocco existed. There is no reason for them to be surrendered, just like there is no reason for Britain to surrender Gibraltar to Spain.

Every so often you do make me chuckle, Gardner...:lol:

Paul

This is what they are like. If you look at the videos when they jumped the wall, striking resemblance.

Well, those are Spanish territories. They are more spanish than african so handing them over is like asking the UK to hand over Gibraltar to Spain because it's convenient.

Ceuta and Mellila have been Spanish since long before Morocco existed. There is no reason for them to be surrendered, just like there is no reason for Britain to surrender Gibraltar to Spain.

Maybe I'm not being clear... Ceuta especially is a bit of Europe divided from Africa by a wall. For illegals, scaling those walls is far safer than trying to boat or swim across a stormy Mediterranean. Arguing about historical claims to Ceuta is a pointless strawman.

As long as the "promised land" of Europe is within touching distance you will have these problems.

Every so often you do make me chuckle, Gardner...:lol:

Paul

You Brits have some very odd slang. We call the same thing a groan on this side of the pond.

It's been like this for a long time now. I was down at the beach this weekend and a patera (sort of home-made raft) arrived just off the very beach we were bathing on. (Link's in Spanish btw)

Repunte en la llegada de inmigrantes con más de un centenar en un solo día

You chuckle or snicker at a swing-and-miss, but you groan at a knee in the nuts.... He chuckled.

Maybe I'm not being clear... Ceuta especially is a bit of Europe divided from Africa by a wall. For illegals, scaling those walls is far safer than trying to boat or swim across a stormy Mediterranean. Arguing about historical claims to Ceuta is a pointless strawman.

As long as the "promised land" of Europe is within touching distance you will have these problems.

And according to you without Ceuta and Melilla there would be no flood of refugees trying to enter Europe illegally? Get real.

Okay, I'm going to play a little bit of Devil's Advocate. I also think it would make sense for Ceuta and Melilla to be incorporated into Morocco, although I don't see how that could be achieved against the wishes of the population. I will give you the Spanish argument against it, which is that Ceuta and Melilla as Spanish cities pre-dates the existence of the Moroccan nation. There could be no 'handing back' because that assumes that they were taken from an African nation, which they never were, unlike Gibraltar, which was taken away from the Spanish nation by treaty. Given that they never were a part of an existing African nation, to whom should they be given? This is the difference between the case of Ceuta and Melilla and those of Gibraltar or, as far as I can see, the Falklands.

Okay, I'm going to play a little bit of Devil's Advocate. I also think it would make sense for Ceuta and Melilla to be incorporated into Morocco, although I don't see how that could be achieved against the wishes of the population. I will give you the Spanish argument against it, which is that Ceuta and Melilla as Spanish cities pre-dates the existence of the Moroccan nation. There could be no 'handing back' because that assumes that they were taken from an African nation, which they never were, unlike Gibraltar, which was taken away from the Spanish nation by treaty. Given that they never were a part of an existing African nation, to whom should they be given? This is the difference between the case of Ceuta and Melilla and those of Gibraltar or, as far as I can see, the Falklands.

So should the Channel Islands be given to France? Alaska to Russia? Etc.

So should the Channel Islands be given to France? Alaska to Russia? Etc.

I think the key to resolving these old, festering territorial issues is by reference to the people who live there. If the Alaskans want to be a part of Russia, if the Channel Islanders want to be a part of France, then sure, why not?

I think the key to resolving these old, festering territorial issues is by reference to the people who live there. If the Alaskans want to be a part of Russia, if the Channel Islanders want to be a part of France, then sure, why not?

I agree with letting people determine their own fate.

But it is a illusion to believe that this way territorial conflicts will be resolved. It is also a mistake to describe these as "old festering territorial issues".

I agree with letting people determine their own fate.

But it is a illusion to believe that this way territorial conflicts will be resolved. It is also a mistake to describe these as "old festering territorial issues".

Well, those are two assertions. Have you got anything to back them up? Assertions tend to be pointless without an argument to go with them.

Back
Top Bottom