• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Spain to deport 500 illegal British

swing_voter

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Spanish police and immigration officials expect to deport around 500 UK citizens within weeks with targets already earmarked to be picked up and sent home for not having the correct paperwork to remain. Authorities have previously turned a blind-eye to Brits not legally registered in Spain but under Brexit rules they have to be out of the country by March 31 when they will be deemed as illegal immigrants as their 90-day legal stay comes to an end.

Brexit LATEST: British expats 'in tears' as Spain to deport 500 under new rules | Politics | News | Express.co.uk

I found this amusing.

Haven't they had like 10 years to get their stuff in order?

Uh oh. I hope this doesn't affect @Andalublue .

I miss Andy. I wish he'd check in once in a while.

Sounds xenophobic and racist

They arrived as members of the EU community but are now foreign nationals. Many of them even voted "Leave"! They may now stay for only ninety days in every six months, without residency papers of a visa. These people have had literally years to discover what potential hoops they would have to jump through, and did nothing. The leave voters, I have no sympathy for. They brought it on themselves.
I would hope Andy has regularised his citizenship.

Spanish police and immigration officials expect to deport around 500 UK citizens within weeks with targets already earmarked to be picked up and sent home for not having the correct paperwork to remain. Authorities have previously turned a blind-eye to Brits not legally registered in Spain but under Brexit rules they have to be out of the country by March 31 when they will be deemed as illegal immigrants as their 90-day legal stay comes to an end.

Brexit LATEST: British expats 'in tears' as Spain to deport 500 under new rules | Politics | News | Express.co.uk

I found this amusing.

Ouch :( When you have to pay for the A-Holes in your country. I know the feeling well.

Consequences... there will be plenty more fallout from this UK vs. the EU mentality.

There is nothing that can be done here without going through a plethora of red tape, some of that tape very new.

They're bringing in drugs, they're rapists...

They're subsisting in trailer parks, working within the off the books British "expat" economy. Some don't even know any Spanish beyond holidaymaker level.

How are things at the Spain-Gibraltar line?

Open, and hassle free! Gibraltar joined Schengen since Johnson abandoned them.

We have cruised by a few times and stopped once. We had a small tour van/driver to ourselves, as the other couple were not able to make it. The driver stressed the difficulty the Spanish government made for the border crossing. Gibraltar was a very nice visit.

IIRC circa 2010

I found this amusing.

I suspect that this is only going to happen with the well known troublemakers. 500 is nothing compared to the amount of Brits living here.

You have to remember, that in the EU you technically have to register yourself if you settle here, but the Spanish dont really care as it is hard to police, and the British tax man/government did not give a damn either. Hence many Brits lived in Spain, but were registered in the UK. This was possible because of the EU membership.. now it aint. It was so crazy, that at one point there was Brits who lived and WORKED on the Costa del Sol, but were registered as unemployed in the UK. Once a month they would take a 30 dollar plane trip back to the UK and get the necessary paperwork done to continue their unemployment benefits.

But these 500... I suspect that they are well defined targets that would not have been able to get their papers in order because of criminal activities or links to said activities.

The UK is note a EU member state anymore, thus it means they need paperwork to stay. They could have got said paperwork and they didn't.

It should be said that it's not just Spain. France has the next largest group of "expats" and there are other hotspots of soon to be illegal immigrants all over Europe.

It should be said that it's not just Spain. France has the next largest group of "expats" and there are other hotspots of soon to be illegal immigrants all over Europe.
EU left the whole British expat situation to the different member states to figure out on their own, so different member states will handle this differently.

EU left the whole British expat situation to the different member states to figure out on their own, so different member states will handle this differently.

But Brexiters said we had to leave, to get our sovereignty back! How can members possibly act independently inside the EU?

Britain's cutoff point for Settled Status applications is June 30, and given the Home Office hardline attitude, v. the previously relaxed attitude of the EU, maybe this is a warning shot that reciprocal actions will follow if Priti Patel repels foreigners.

Anybody might think that EU member nations had the sovereignty to eject illegal immigrants all the time!

Ex5zL6PW8AE7qVk

Back
Top Bottom