• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

SpaceX launches cargo ship to space station, but Falcon 9 rocket misses landing site

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/scienc...ace-station-falcon-9-rocket-misses-ncna944411

The booster's first stage splashed down off the coast of Cape Canaveral.

The launch of an unmanned SpaceX Falcon 9 didn’t go quite as planned on Wednesday.

The rocket lifted off successfully at 1:16 p.m. ET from Florida’s Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, but after successfully propelling the cargo-laden Dragon capsule on its way to the International Space Station, the spent rocket malfunctioned on its return to Earth and missed its landing site.
==================================================
Everything worked fine until the firs stage separated & started to spin, losing control. It was intended to land at a pad at Cape Canaveral. Amazing technology: reusable rockets.

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/scienc...ace-station-falcon-9-rocket-misses-ncna944411

The launch of an unmanned SpaceX Falcon 9 didn’t go quite as planned on Wednesday.

The rocket lifted off successfully at 1:16 p.m. ET from Florida’s Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, but after successfully propelling the cargo-laden Dragon capsule on its way to the International Space Station, the spent rocket malfunctioned on its return to Earth and missed its landing site.
Everything worked fine until the firs stage separated & started to spin, losing control. It was intended to land at a pad at Cape Canaveral. Amazing technology: reusable rockets.

Because reusable space shuttles turned out to be such an awesome idea....

We'll See.

Yet despite the grid fin failure and the ensuing spin, it somehow landed fairly softly just off shore in the water using the main engine to control it's orientation, and they are likely going to recover it to figure out what went wrong.

Just a few years ago we'd have been utterly shocked that it hadn't slammed into the water or ground and exploded.

Because reusable space shuttles turned out to be such an awesome idea....

We'll See.

Baby steps. This IS rocket science, after all. ;)

Also, as things progress a technology may not be quite safe enough for human transport but is still more economical for transporting nonhuman payloads.

Also, as things progress a technology may not be quite safe enough for human transport but is still more economical for transporting nonhuman payloads.

Ya but Bob.....here is the thing that keeps me up nights (figuratively)....as this society and in fact all of Western Civilization has rotted our ignorance about risk with particular attention to our colossal inability to calculate risks has become so much the norm that it is to be expected.

People might be in these things.

And it is a rocket.

Ya but Bob.....here is the thing that keeps me up nights (figuratively)....as this society and in fact all of Western Civilization has rotted our ignorance about risk with particular attention to our colossal inability to calculate risks has become so much the norm that it is to be expected.

People might be in these things.

And it is a rocket.

Well, let’s just hope that the tiny percentage of our population smart enough to invent these kinds of things is less susceptible to the “rot” as the average Joe.

Well, let’s just hope that the tiny percentage of our population smart enough to invent these kinds of things is less susceptible to the “rot” as the average Joe.

Are you aware that Jordan Peterson has said point blank that there is now an attack on competence?

Paglia I think agrees.

Dont be so sure.

:2wave:

Are you aware that Jordan Peterson has said point blank that there is now an attack on competence?

Paglia I think agrees.

Dont be so sure.

:2wave:

I don’t agree with Peterson on everything but I do agree with that. I lump it under the whole anti-intellectual movement we seem to be experiencing. Everyone wants to believe their opinion is just as valid and should hold as much weight, regardless of the other guy’s experience and knowledge. Social media is a megaphone that allows the voices of the ignorant to easily drown out the voices knowledgeable.

Nothing that has to do with space is easy. This we have learned from experience over the past 50-60 years.

I don’t agree with Peterson on everything but I do agree with that. I lump it under the whole anti-intellectual movement we seem to be experiencing. Everyone wants to believe their opinion is just as valid and should hold as much weight, regardless of the other guy’s experience and knowledge. Social media is a megaphone that allows the voices of the ignorant to easily drown out the voices knowledgeable.

The failure of the University and the failure of journalism are both far more import in driving this failure than is social media.

The failure of the University and the failure of journalism are both far more import in driving this failure than is social media.

I would say it is the failure of the platform that is provided for the journalists that has failed. And agreed that the University is training "tools." I don't even think creative thinking is encouraged.
Just an afterthought. SpaceX is another Elon Musk venture and I am one of his true fans.
/

Last edited:
I would say it is the failure of the platform that is provided for the journalists that has failed. And agreed that the University is training "tools." I don't even think creative thinking is encouraged.

/

Dave Dave Dave...You surely know or at least suspect that thinking is not encouraged in any meaningful terms.....

That is not the shortest line to UTOPIA!

Mind Molding is the project.

Dave Dave Dave...You surely know or at least suspect that thinking is not encouraged in any meaningful terms.....

That is not the shortest line to UTOPIA!

Mind Molding is the project.

Your are from the Truth Teller Tribe and I from the clan of Iconoclasts (image breakers). How do we convince the tools that they are seduced by Imagery and it's not synomomous with Truth? They damn sure they know what's going on because they think they are way too smart to be manipulated. Gonna' be catharctic, eh? Elon Musk sees the real World and wants to change it. He'll be really lucky if he doesn't get erased and I hope he doesn't. My kids will need a ride to Mars.
/
/

Back
Top Bottom