• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Sowell Nails it Again

Patrickt

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
"Some of us this election year don't even want to say the words "Clinton" or "Trump" -- and with good reason. However, there is one word that we should keep in mind: "Turnout." If we sit home in disgust on election day, we forfeit the right -- and the duty -- to elect a Congress that can keep either of these dangerous people from doing permanent damage to this country and to the future of this generation -- and generations yet unborn."http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2016/10/25/turnout_time_132147.html

Thomas Sowell isn't talking to the Trumpkins or the Clintonistas. The suckers have made their choice as to which liar, which crook, which Democrat, and which wannabee royalty they'll vote for. He's talking to those who are disgusted with both.

"We need a Congress that can block dangerous legislative proposals coming from the White House, and block dangerous nominees to the federal courts, including especially the Supreme Court. More than that, we need a Congress that can remove a dangerous President who ignores the law and commits impeachable offenses. Any Congress theoretically can do so, since the House of Representatives has the power to impeach and the Senate then votes on whether to remove the President from office.

"However, as we have seen over the past seven years, that theoretical power means nothing, if neither House of Congress has the incentives and the guts to use the power they have.
Barack Obama has repeatedly exceeded the powers of his office, disregarding laws passed by Congress, and making in effect a unilateral treaty with Iran, exempting it from American sanctions for building nuclear bombs."

Bingo. So, go vote. You don't have to, and probably shouldn't, vote for either of the crooks but vote a Congress that will support America rather than hate America or plunder America.

I voted yesterday - against the GOP Presidential Nominee and Senate Candidate, but in favor of GOP down-ticket.

I voted yesterday - against the GOP Presidential Nominee and Senate Candidate, but in favor of GOP down-ticket.

who is your senate candidate. If you really are serious about hoping Hillary wins (you are) but you oppose her policies (your claim) then you should be voting for the GOP senate candidate

Also from the article.

Painful as it may be to realize that we are reduced to considering the impeachability of a presidential candidate, that is a reality that will not go away, just because we don't like it.

How impeachable is Hillary Clinton? Since she would be "the first woman President," any criticism of her, much less any impeachment, would bring loud howls from the media across the country that ugly sexist bias was behind any opposition to anything she did -- no matter how awful. Hillary in the White House would have a blank check, and she would not hesitate to use it.

Donald Trump has no such exemption. Neither the media nor Congressional Republicans would automatically spring to his defense if he overstepped the line. His impeachability may be his most important asset in a year of painful choices.

who is your senate candidate. If you really are serious about hoping Hillary wins (you are) but you oppose her policies (your claim) then you should be voting for the GOP senate candidate

Burr. He decided to state publicly during the primary that he'd vote for Bernie Sanders over Ted Cruz if Cruz were the nominee, and has been running around lately claiming that there's no daylight between him and Trump. So :shrug: I took him at his word.

Burr currently has about a 60% chance of winning reelection, so I doubt I'll be part of costing him anything, but if that's how he wants to position himself, then that's how I'll treat him.

Last edited:
Also from the article.

Donald Trump has no such exemption. Neither the media nor Congressional Republicans would automatically spring to his defense if he overstepped the line. His impeachability may be his most important asset in a year of painful choices.

Which is an unfortunately out-of-touch argument from a usually astute thinker - a GOP congress has the most reliable motivation to oppose Clinton (self-interest), and the same motivation would tell them to roll over and let Trump do as he pleases. The idea that a GOP that wasn't even willing to stand up to Trump in a primary is going to stand up to him once he's President is lunacy.

It's sad that all the Trumpkins have to go on is, "He's better than Hillary." And all the Clintonistas have is, "She's not as scary as Donald." It does rather highlight the mess we have.

Only an idiot thinks not voting for Trump is voting for Clinton or vice versa. Not voting for someone is not voting for them. Me? I voted but not for neither of the crooks.

I also pity those who think Republican and Democrat are the split. We have two Democrats running as candidates for the two major parties.

Which is an unfortunately out-of-touch argument from a usually astute thinker - a GOP congress has the most reliable motivation to oppose Clinton (self-interest), and the same motivation would tell them to roll over and let Trump do as he pleases. The idea that a GOP that wasn't even willing to stand up to Trump in a primary is going to stand up to him once he's President is lunacy.

Lol.....Good ****ing grief. :doh

It's a wash (at least for me) in Nevada. I don't agree with Heck (R) on most of his views or voting record so can't vote him but I can't vote for Cortez (D) either because I think she has done a lousy job even though I agree on most of her policy beliefs.

"Some of us this election year don't even want to say the words "Clinton" or "Trump" -- and with good reason. However, there is one word that we should keep in mind: "Turnout." If we sit home in disgust on election day, we forfeit the right -- and the duty -- to elect a Congress that can keep either of these dangerous people from doing permanent damage to this country and to the future of this generation -- and generations yet unborn."http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2016/10/25/turnout_time_132147.html

Thomas Sowell isn't talking to the Trumpkins or the Clintonistas. The suckers have made their choice as to which liar, which crook, which Democrat, and which wannabee royalty they'll vote for. He's talking to those who are disgusted with both.

"We need a Congress that can block dangerous legislative proposals coming from the White House, and block dangerous nominees to the federal courts, including especially the Supreme Court. More than that, we need a Congress that can remove a dangerous President who ignores the law and commits impeachable offenses. Any Congress theoretically can do so, since the House of Representatives has the power to impeach and the Senate then votes on whether to remove the President from office.

"However, as we have seen over the past seven years, that theoretical power means nothing, if neither House of Congress has the incentives and the guts to use the power they have.
Barack Obama has repeatedly exceeded the powers of his office, disregarding laws passed by Congress, and making in effect a unilateral treaty with Iran, exempting it from American sanctions for building nuclear bombs."

Bingo. So, go vote. You don't have to, and probably shouldn't, vote for either of the crooks but vote a Congress that will support America rather than hate America or plunder America.

Already voted, as have millions.

It's sad that all the Trumpkins have to go on is, "He's better than Hillary." And all the Clintonistas have is, "She's not as scary as Donald." It does rather highlight the mess we have.

Only an idiot thinks not voting for Trump is voting for Clinton or vice versa. Not voting for someone is not voting for them. Me? I voted but not for neither of the crooks.

I also pity those who think Republican and Democrat are the split. We have two Democrats running as candidates for the two major parties.
I wont vote for either, either. In fact, I was fairly certain that I wasn't going to vote at all. But now that Hillary seems to have this thing locked up, I am going to vote for every down ballot republican. The last time democrats had control of everything we got Obamacare. Although it probably wont happen, it would be nice to see Portman actually get more votes in Ohio than Trump.

It's a wash (at least for me) in Nevada. I don't agree with Heck (R) on most of his views or voting record so can't vote him but I can't vote for Cortez (D) either because I think she has done a lousy job even though I agree on most of her policy beliefs.

Its a great year for representative democracy isn't it lol

Apparently you are missing the circular firing squad that is the Republican party now, and during the primary. You don't remember all the never Trump stuff or how the establishment flooded Jebs coffers with money. The establishment only sort of backed off of attacking Trump and have been quite divided supporting him.

Sometimes that's the choices we face. Colorado has some Republicans that are liberal enough that if they were honest they'd be Democrats. Sometimes politicians pick a party not because of ideology but because they will do anything to get elected.

Sometimes that's the choices we face. Colorado has some Republicans that are liberal enough that if they were honest they'd be Democrats. Sometimes politicians pick a party not because of ideology but because they will do anything to get elected.

Well my choice this year for senate will most likely be none of the above. I just don't know if I can vote for either of them.

Apparently you are missing the circular firing squad that is the Republican party now

On the contrary - I accurately note that the RNC has threatened those who are "disloyal", and that that threat appears to have worked. Even Cruz eventually bowed. Only Ben Sasse and a few others avoided doing so.

and during the primary

During the primary Trump survived and succeeded with a plurality because everyone was focusing on taking out each other until it was too late.

You don't remember all the never Trump stuff

Never Trump started after Trump had established himself as the front runner, if not wrapped up the Primary.

or how the establishment flooded Jebs coffers with money

Which he then spent going after Rubio.

The establishment only sort of backed off of attacking Trump and have been quite divided supporting him.

The Establishment never united against Trump - many preferred to lose with him than risk winning with Cruz (whom they hate, hate, hate), and before that, everyone was busy fratriciding each other as way too many candidates stayed in way too long. Support for Trump may now be tepid, but it is widespread across the Establishment.

Sometimes there's just nothing else to say. I see you skipped over my actual relevant post. ;)

A post that's relevant doesn't necessarily need a comment. I don't compliment people for not masturbating in public.

On the contrary - I accurately note that the RNC has threatened those who are "disloyal", and that that threat appears to have worked. Even Cruz eventually bowed. Only Ben Sasse and a few others avoided doing so.

During the primary Trump survived and succeeded with a plurality because everyone was focusing on taking out each other until it was too late.

Never Trump started after Trump had established himself as the front runner, if not wrapped up the Primary.

Which he then spent going after Rubio.

The Establishment never united against Trump - many preferred to lose with him than risk winning with Cruz (whom they hate, hate, hate), and before that, everyone was busy fratriciding each other as way too many candidates stayed in way too long. Support for Trump may now be tepid, but it is widespread across the Establishment.

There is NO unity in the Republican party right now. Everyone is taking shots at Trump and everyone else. Widespread support???? Sure.

There is NO unity in the Republican party right now. Everyone is taking shots at Trump and everyone else

Let's see. Paul Ryan said... he would be voting for Trump and concentrating on securing the House for the GOP. Goodness. That's quite a rebellion.
Marco Rubio said.... he would be voting for Trump.
Ted Cruz said.... he would be voting for Trump.
John Boehner? Check - big Trump supporter.
Mitch McConnel? Delighted Cruz isn't the nominee - Trump supporter.
Rince Priebus? Worked with Paul Ryan to shut down opposition on the floor of the GOP convention in order to smooth the Trump nomination. Promises to punish those who are disloyal to The Donald.

Some folks dropped out after the whole "and then I sexually assault women because I can get away with it" spiel, but generally? The people taking shots at Trump are Democrats, and the person doing the most to damage Trump's campaign is Donald J Trump.

Widespread support???? Sure.

Yup. To their shame. :(

Maybe it's because Trump is and has always been a democrat.

Maybe it's because Trump is and has always been a democrat.

It's sad when you have to post the obvious but I realize there are those who actually believe Donald Trump evolved from a garden slug to an elephant in an afternoon.

Last edited:

That's why I'm stuck voting for McCain again. I tried to get him out in the primary but 75% of the AZGOP money comes from "his" people.

Back
Top Bottom