• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

South Dakota congress bans Abortion accept when mother's life is endangered

Navy Pride

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
I don't have a link for it but I just heard on the news that the South Dakota senate has approved a bill that will ban all abortion except when the mother's health is endangered and the governor who is pro life is expected to sign it....As soon as I can get a link I will post it.......

Pro abortion people will challenge the bill and it should go to the SCOTUS for a decision.........It probably won't get there for a year.........Hopefully Stevens who is 85 and in ill health will retire and President Bush can get another good Cinservative on the Court and we can get rid of Roe V Wade before I kick the bucket.........I would die happy if that would happen.........

Good. As much as legal abortion is good policy, Roe v. Wade is bad law.

This is an issue that needs to be decided by the people, through the Legislature.

Korimyr the Rat said:

This is an issue that needs to be decided by the people, through the Legislature.

Exactly. Abortions in South Dakota, pro or con, is nobody else's business, except the citizens of South Dakota.

I don't care if it's settled at the State or the Federal level, honestly. Abortions in America are the business of Americans.

I just think it needs to be settled democratically, so that whoever loses this argument can't claim that it's all the fault of "activist judges".

Korimyr the Rat said:
I don't care if it's settled at the State or the Federal level, honestly. Abortions in America are the business of Americans.

I just think it needs to be settled democratically, so that whoever loses this argument can't claim that it's all the fault of "activist judges".

Per the 10th Amendment, whatever powers are not explicitly given to the Federal government belong to the states and to the people. The view that Abortions are the business of Americans, which justifes Federal intervention, is unconstitutional.

I'd just like to add my voice to the chorus of pro-choice, anti-Roe people here.

Yeah, this was on the cover of today's Washington Post. They passed this legislation for the sole purpose of it hopefully getting to the Supreme Court so that Roe v. Wade can be overturned. I hope they lose this battle, which I think they will.

I agree with the majority, as much as I don't agree with Roe V Wade, it is settled law, and I think you are going to see a lot of foolish Senators when this is decided that precedent wins the day.

aps said:
Yeah, this was on the cover of today's Washington Post. They passed this legislation for the sole purpose of it hopefully getting to the Supreme Court so that Roe v. Wade can be overturned. I hope they lose this battle, which I think they will.

aps one thing for sure this will be appealed and end up in the SCOTUS......Right now it is hard to predict how it will come out but if that 85 year old justice who is alledgely ill resigns then GWB can nominate another conservative and then the court will tilt to the right and Roe V Wade would be overturned and the abortion issue will return to the states where it belongs.........

Roe V wade is bad law........even people on the liberal side have said that........some even in this forum.....

Deegan said:
I agree with the majority, as much as I don't agree with Roe V Wade, it is settled law, and I think you are going to see a lot of foolish Senators when this is decided that precedent wins the day.

I disagree with you, in that it is my opinion that Roe v. Wade was wrongly decided, and that the 10th Amendment to the Constitution was ignored. In addition, the original decision forced the views of some onto others, and that was wrong. Roe v. Wade should be overturned in its entirety, and the states themselves should decide the abortion issue on their own, as was intended by the framers of the Constitution.

Deegan said:

God for the sake of the 3,500 babies butchered in the womb every day I pray your wrong Deegan.........

I just don't agree with ignoring a precedent, even if I were to be happy, or agree with striking down RoeVWade. It's quite obvious to me that the majority of Americans agree with abortion, and that only half of us really have to make that choice, the women. I can't begin to know what that decision must be like, or how it effects you the rest of your life, but it's not mine to make, nor suffer through. I really think the Tenth Amendment has changed as the country has, and that the more I consider this, the more I think we should leave it as it is.

I heard Justice Alito speak the other day, he was asked if he was a strict constructionist, he replied, "Of course not, I never claimed to be, you must change with the times. What I am is a realist, I believe in making rational decisions, based on the world we live in today." This is not word for word, but it spoke to me, and I think gave me some new insight in to the man, and how he decides cases.

Deegan said:
I just don't agree with ignoring a precedent, even if I were to be happy, or agree with striking down RoeVWade. It's quite obvious to me that the majority of Americans agree with abortion, and that only half of us really have to make that choice, the women. I can't begin to know what that decision must be like, or how it effects you the rest of your life, but it's not mine to make, nor suffer through. I really think the Tenth Amendment has changed as the country has, and that the more I consider this, the more I think we should leave it as it is.

Deegan, you are an incredibly thoughtful person, and I mean that in the sense that you have clearly thought this out and what kind of impact this issue has on you versus women. I commend you! :clap:

I heard Justice Alito speak the other day, he was asked if he was a strict constructionist, he replied, "Of course not, I never claimed to be, you must change with the times. What I am is a realist, I believe in making rational decisions, based on the world we live in today." This is not word for word, but it spoke to me, and I think gave me some new insight in to the man, and how he decides cases.

If that is true, that makes me very happy. The founding fathers could not have foreseen the changes our country would go through and the Constitution was written in a way to allow for this. Justice Breyer has a book out and it's about that very issue called Active Liberty. I have it in my house--I just need to read the damn thing! But it speaks about how the Constitution must change to some extent to fit the times.

Navy Pride said:
Pro abortion people will challenge the bill and it should go to the SCOTUS for a decision.........It probably won't get there for a year.........Hopefully Stevens who is 85 and in ill health will retire and President Bush can get another good Cinservative on the Court and we can get rid of Roe V Wade before I kick the bucket.........I would die happy if that would happen.........

after having gone through labor and the process of motherhood, NavyPride knows whats good for woman kind

aps said:
Deegan, you are an incredibly thoughtful person, and I mean that in the sense that you have clearly thought this out and what kind of impact this issue has on you versus women. I commend you! :clap:

If that is true, that makes me very happy. The founding fathers could not have foreseen the changes our country would go through and the Constitution was written in a way to allow for this. Justice Breyer has a book out and it's about that very issue called Active Liberty. I have it in my house--I just need to read the damn thing! But it speaks about how the Constitution must change to some extent to fit the times.

Why thank you Aps, but I really have to give the credit to wife, and this forum, both have taught me to be more considerate, and openminded.;)

Deegan said:
Why thank you Aps, but I really have to give the credit to wife, and this forum, both have taught me to be more considerate, and openminded.;)

Is your wife a conservative as well? I loved the family photo of the three of you. It is the most handsome picture I have seen of you.

aps said:
Is your wife a conservative as well? I loved the family photo of the three of you. It is the most handsome picture I have seen of you.

Thank you, has to be the bike!:lol:

No, my wife is most certainly an independent, she could really not care less about politics, the picture indeed shows you her most important issues.;)

Deegan said:

Are you becoming sensible? Sure looks like it. Seriously though, I don't like abortion either, but believe women should have their rights remain as they are.

Also, I understand what some of you here are saying about Amendment X, but does that supercede the 'Supremacy Clause?'

Amendment X
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Supremacy Clause, part of Article VI
This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding.

http://www.usconstitution.net/const.txt

Korimyr the Rat said:

Two VERY enthusiastic thumbs up! :2razz:

The judicial branch is completely out of control.

Korimyr the Rat said:

It is against the 10th Amendment for this issue to have been dealt with by the federal courts at all. I care very much whether it's dealt with at which level of government, but I couldn't agree more about needing MORE influence from the people.

tryreading said:
Are you becoming sensible? Sure looks like it. Seriously though, I don't like abortion either, but believe women should have their rights remain as they are.

Also, I understand what some of you here are saying about Amendment X, but does that supercede the 'Supremacy Clause?'

Amendment X
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Supremacy Clause, part of Article VI
This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding.

http://www.usconstitution.net/const.txt

Are you becoming more warm and fuzzy? Certainly looks that way, that even sounded like a compliment to me.;)

The bold section certainly seems to fall under the Federal ruling on RoeVWade, and has stood for some 30 years I might add. I just don't look forward to the turmoil that revisiting this ruling will have on this country, we are divided enough already, we need unity desperately right now!:(

Deegan said:

At one point, slavery was settled law. It is never too late to fix an inhuman, ill-conceived atrocity.

aquapub said:
At one point, slavery was settled law. It is never too late to start consistently upholding murder laws.

Was slavery ever a law? If it was, it was not the law of the land, and so it was abolished. I am not convinced it is murder, that is if it's taken care of immediately, but late term abortions are certainly something that concerns me. This, "all or nothing" argument is just not feasible, and we all know we can not legislate morality, it just does not work.

Back
Top Bottom