• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

South Carolina Senate Passes 6-Week Abortion Ban

abortion is any time a pregnancy ends...whether it is spontaneous or medically induced.

no, its not

naturally its a miscarriage - where the baby dies of natural causes, nothing kills it

abortion is where a "dr" actually kills the unborn to end a pregnancy

surprised you don't know this

...or to save the life of a mother.

stealthycat, do you support contraceptives?

Do you support sex education in High School?

I have always said rape/incest/health of mother which are less than 5% of all abortions I would compromise to

I support contraceptives, abstinence, I support having as much as an adult wants to have ..... why would you think I don't ?

No I actually don't - I think sex, politics, religion ... all should be kept OUT of schools

no, its not

naturally its a miscarriage - where the baby dies of natural causes, nothing kills it

abortion is where a "dr" actually kills the unborn to end a pregnancy

surprised you don't know this
There is not a medical term known as miscarriage. It is called a spontaneous abortion. If you are going to argue with someone who has been trained in the medical profession at least educate yourself on medical terminology.

I support contraceptives, abstinence, I support having as much as an adult wants to have ..... why would you think I don't ?
Why would I think you do?

July, 2022:

195 House Republicans Voted Against Birth Control Protections​

The House passed the Right to Contraception Act, which would codify the right to birth control amid fears that conservatives are coming for that next.​
It's like half the nation still lives in the Dark Ages.

No I actually don't - I think sex, politics, religion ... all should be kept OUT of schools
Well, I'm with you on the religion part. As for politics, how is civics or even history taught without it?

As for sex education, if I thought all parents were stable, brave, responsible, and there for their kids, I'd be happy to leave it to them. But I know that's not the case. For many kids, school is the only place they'll have an honest, compassionate, and scientifically accurate review of the subject, bounded within state-provided guidelines. Which of course parents have the opportunity to opt their children out of.

I see more harm in leaving it to the parent or parents of children than to trained professionals.

Why would I think you do?

July, 2022:

195 House Republicans Voted Against Birth Control Protections​

The House passed the Right to Contraception Act, which would codify the right to birth control amid fears that conservatives are coming for that next.​

why did they vote against it ?

Well, I'm with you on the religion part. As for politics, how is civics or even history taught without it?

I meant the introduction of all the politics that teachers can and do inject into schools

As for sex education, if I thought all parents were stable, brave, responsible, and there for their kids, I'd be happy to leave it to them. But I know that's not the case. For many kids, school is the only place they'll have an honest, compassionate, and scientifically accurate review of the subject, bounded within state-provided guidelines. Which of course parents have the opportunity to opt their children out of.

problem with that is then, we need to teach NRA safety at all schools .... if I thought all parents were stable, brave, responsible, and there for their kids, I'd be happy to leave it to them. But I know that's not the case. For many kids, school is the only place they'll have an honest, compassionate, and scientifically accurate review of the subject

right?

I see more harm in leaving it to the parent or parents of children than to trained professionals.

problem with that is then you're giving one side a big advantage in influencing the minds of young kids

I don't like that, for anyone

When you say women need to be more responsible to not get pregnant, you imply they do make the choice to not get raped. That is how all pro-choicers interpret such comments every single time.
The reason it's an error to interpret such comments that way is due to the data showing us that 98% of abortion patents had consensual sex.

Your reaction to my comment only makes sense if 98% of abortion patients were raped.

Pro-choicers need to start using their brain and discuss the topic without ever bringing up rape.

The reason it's an error to interpret such comments that way is due to the data showing us that 98% of abortion patents had consensual sex.

Your reaction to my comment only makes sense if 98% of abortion patients were raped.

Pro-choicers need to start using their brain and discuss the topic without ever bringing up rape.
Provide a citation that only 2% of abortions are by victims of rape or incest. Not some off the wall pro life citation either...provide a study or some statistical proof. Remember, not all rapes are reported...in fact, the majority are not reported at all.

Provide a citation that only 2% of abortions are by victims of rape or incest.

So, my point stands: there was no reason to assume my statement about responsibility applied to rape victims, there was no reason to continue to assume such after I overtly said that my statements do not, and any future assertion that my statement applies to rape victims will be a lie.

98-99% of elective abortions are from consensual sex and that makes my general statement true. Since you needed me to spoon-feed you basic information on the topic, I suggest you take a breath and do some research before embarrassing yourself further.

Attachments

• guttmachertable.jpg
    guttmachertable.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 1

So, my point stands: there was no reason to assume my statement about responsibility applied to rape victims, there was no reason to continue to assume such after I overtly said that my statements do not, and any future assertion that my statement applies to rape victims will be a lie.

98-99% of elective abortions are from consensual sex and that makes my general statement true. Since you needed me to spoon-feed you basic information on the topic, I suggest you take a breath and do some research before embarrassing yourself further.
Your study is only on a very small group and it is what over 20 years old? It also is a voluntary response. Again, how do you know it wasn't from rape? The study itself said information is very limited. The last study to it was in 1985. Women aren't going to always tell strangers they were victims of rape.

Again, how do you know it wasn't from rape?
My arguments are based on the data, so if you want my arguments to change then you're going to have to link to better data yourself, you're going to have to actually put in a little bit of effort instead of being shrill and emotional.

The data is from 2004. You're welcome to ask Guttmacher, the leading source of information on all things abortion, to hurry up with their next study.
It is 2023, so as I pointed out...the study is 20 years old. My point still stands that 1200 abortion clients and their answers is voluntary and won't reflect whether it was a victim of rape or incest. It also isn't a very good indication of what the overall percentage is.

My arguments are based on the data, so if you want my arguments to change then you're going to have to link to better data yourself, you're going to have to actually put in a little bit of effort instead of being shrill and emotional.
No, your arguments are based on old and faulty data.
This is from 2020

Your link does not say what number of elective abortions are desired because of rape. Try again.
It shows you how often RRP occurs. Quite frankly it is no one's business why someone gets an abortion in the first trimester.

It shows you how often RRP occurs. Quite frankly it is no one's business why someone gets an abortion in the first trimester.
What about the second or third trimester? Why specify the first?

I have said that I am opposed to abortion after viability unless the fetus has an anomaly that isn't compatible with life or is a danger to the life of the mother and cannot be safely birthed.

I keep asking that too. Why only the first trimester? What distinction are people making for 0 weeks, 6 weeks, 12 weeks, 15 weeks, 20 weeks, etc?

Is it something that has to do with the unborn? Other factors? What is your reasoning...what would you accept and why?

It shows you how often RRP occurs.
I apologize. It is not my intent to seem dismissive and uncaring toward victims of rape. I am pro-choice. I would like to see access to elective abortion protected Federaly so that States cannot make their own more restrictive rules. As a cis male discussing public policy, all I have to go on is the dry data. If the data is bad then I will revise my argument when better data is presented.

Quite frankly it is no one's business why someone gets an abortion in the first trimester.
Voters need to be educated on the problem of RRP and help take steps to solve it. This requires broad distribution of anonymous reporting data. Any specific person's reason is private and it's the public business to have anonymous reporting data to support appropriate legislation.

Back
Top Bottom