• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

South African opera rejects call to cancel Israel tour

donsutherland1

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Today, The Jerusalem Post reported:

Cape Town's renowned opera troupe is rejecting a call from retired Anglican Archbishop Desmond Tutu to cancel a performance in Israel scheduled next month.

The opera's managing director Michael Williams said in a statement Wednesday that the opera would not take a political position and cut cultural ties with Israel or the Palestinian territory.

Cultural relations can build ties and understanding among peoples. The demand for the opera to inject politics into a cultural matter was short-sighted and would have negated an opportunity to strengthen cross-cultural understanding among peoples. The opera's move to refrain from the demanded political stunt is a welcome development.

Cultural relations can build ties and understanding among peoples. The demand for the opera to inject politics into a cultural matter was short-sighted and would have negated an opportunity to strengthen cross-cultural understanding among peoples. The opera's move to refrain from the demanded political stunt is a welcome development.

Couldn't have said it better myself Don.

Cheers!

It is refreshing to see the opera not to something because of politics. Cheers to this group for doing this.

Deputies's (SAJBD) Cape Council on Wednesday rejected a call by Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu for the Cape Town Opera to cancel a planned trip to Israel.

"Peace and understanding is best served through constructive and positive engagements between Israel, South Africa and the Palestinian regions, not by boycotts," the SAJBD said in a statement.

It also "completely rejected" Tutu's statement that Israel was founded on "discriminatory laws and racial exclusivity".

"There is in fact no other country in the Middle East that can claim to be as inclusive, non-discriminatory and multi-cultural than Israel."

The SAJBD urged the Cape Town Opera to "add their beautiful voices to those of reason and let their outstanding production sound in the ancient land of the prophets". Mail & Guardian

I have to say I agree with the SAJBD - a boycott wouldn't have served any constructive purpose and I'm afraid the good Archbishop stands a little lower in my opinion after this.

Back
Top Bottom