• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

South African doctor invents female condoms with 'teeth' to fight rape

jujuman13

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Link
South African doctor invents female condoms with 'teeth' to fight rape - CNN.com

Quote(South African Dr. Sonnet Ehlers was on call one night four decades ago when a devastated rape victim walked in. Her eyes were lifeless; she was like a breathing corpse.

"She looked at me and said, 'If only had teeth down there,'" recalled Ehlers, who was a 20-year-old medical researcher at the time. "I promised her I'd do something to help people like her one day."

Forty years later, Rape-aXe was born.)

About time, it is to be hoped that this idea takes off in a big way!

They should call this the Snapping *****.

1. So a woman is going to never leave her house unless this is in? That's a hell of a lot of effort to prevent something that doesn't happen even close to everyday. It'd be akin to putting a rain tarp over your car everyday if you live in Baghdad.

Once it lodges, only a doctor can remove it -- a procedure Ehlers hopes will be done with authorities on standby to make an arrest.
So the woman has to drag a 200 pound man that is physically attached to her ***** to a cop? Yeah, I don't see that happening. A more likely scenario is that the guy just kills the victim and rips the thing out of her.

3. Can you think of a bigger scare tactic?

"The ideal situation would be for a woman to wear this when she's going out on some kind of blind date ... or to an area she's not comfortable with," she said.

I'm just thankful Thomas Edison wasn't an angry, bitter lesbian. Who knows what the hell we'd be involved with today.

So the woman has to drag a 200 pound man that is physically attached to her ***** to a cop? Yeah, I don't see that happening. A more likely scenario is that the guy just kills the victim and rips the thing out of her.

Gipper, it doesn't stay in the *****, it comes out of it attached to the penis, that then has to be removed by a doctor.

This device got rejected a few years back because the worry was that some woman would use it against men they didn't like or to get back at a boyfriend or something.

It's a tough one because rape in South Africa is just so unbelievably high... it's unreal! But of course as always there is oppertunity for misuse.

Ah, gotcha. So the logical fallacy will be that any guy who goes to the doctor to get one of these damn things removed committed rape? Apparently they never met pissed-off women or any actor in Jackass.

Tell me this isn't something Knoxville would do. I dare ya.

1. So a woman is going to never leave her house unless this is in? That's a hell of a lot of effort to prevent something that doesn't happen even close to everyday. It'd be akin to putting a rain tarp over your car everyday if you live in Baghdad.

Rape is very common in South Africa. Johannesburg has been described as the rape capital of the world.

Gipper said:
3. Can you think of a bigger scare tactic?

Umm I think that's the idea.

Gipper said:
I'm just thankful Thomas Edison wasn't an angry, bitter lesbian. Who knows what the hell we'd be involved with today.

So wanting some protection against rape, in a country where it is extremely common, makes women "angry, bitter lesbians"? That's incredibly ignorant.

Being serious - I think this is tragically sad.
Their problem has become so bad that this is a solution - instead of trying to rebuild the Middle East which is an impossible feat - we should be stepping in, here, to help them with their problems.

Wow, I'm just glad I live in a country where the rape problem isn't so bad that I have to turn my ***** into jaws.

Hate to be the one to point this out, but these things are only effective if the rapists haven't heard of them. Otherwise, it takes very little to neutralize one-- the woman has to be able to remove it herself, right?

Ah, gotcha. So the logical fallacy will be that any guy who goes to the doctor to get one of these damn things removed committed rape? Apparently they never met pissed-off women or any actor in Jackass.

Tell me this isn't something Knoxville would do. I dare ya.

If your sex is so rushed that you would not see a teeth filled insertion in her vag, then maybe you need to slow it down a bit for both your enjoyments' sake.

I don't think many men who weren't attempting rape are gonna go rushing to the hospital with these things. I just don't see how you wouldn't realize it's there unless your were trying to force a situation.

If your sex is so rushed that you would not see a teeth filled insertion in her vag, then maybe you need to slow it down a bit for both your enjoyments' sake.

I don't think many men who weren't attempting rape are gonna go rushing to the hospital with these things. I just don't see how you wouldn't realize it's there unless your were trying to force a situation.

If the rape attempt is made in the dark, then it's very possible for him to get the surprise of his life.

If the rape attempt is made in the dark, then it's very possible for him to get the surprise of his life.

That's what I am saying. I just don't much see this happening to a guy who is having consensual sex with his girlfriend. He would notice this before they get to that point.

That's what I am saying. I just don't much see this happening to a guy who is having consensual sex with his girlfriend. He would notice this before they get to that point.

This surprise in her pants is for those solo walks down a long deserted street, when out of the dark, she is accosted by a rapist.

Rape is very common in South Africa. Johannesburg has been described as the rape capital of the world.

Umm I think that's the idea.

So wanting some protection against rape, in a country where it is extremely common, makes women "angry, bitter lesbians"? That's incredibly ignorant.[/QUOTE0
Uh he's right. A woman could use this just to get back her ex, and then accuse him of rape. Besides, it would probably just result in a pissed off rapist who'd kill her. It wouldn't work, and rape isn't that common even in South Africa, so it's a waste of time. Buy a gun instead.

i guess this is where the old adage of "look before you leap" comes into play

Uh he's right. A woman could use this just to get back her ex, and then accuse him of rape.

So? Everyone who owns a gun could use it to commit mass murder on a playground. Everyone who owns a pair of scissors could use it to stab someone to death. Everyone who owns a car could use it to intentionally run someone over.

Toothpicvic said:
Besides, it would probably just result in a pissed off rapist who'd kill her.

Most rapists (in the United States or South Africa) aren't guys who lurk in dark alleys waiting for women to walk by unaccompanied. Most rapists are acquaintances of the victim, not deranged psychopaths who want to kill her.

Toothpicvic said:
It wouldn't work, and rape isn't that common even in South Africa, so it's a waste of time. Buy a gun instead.

One fourth of South African men admit to raping a woman. Keep in mind that's the number who ADMIT to it, not the number who have actually done it.
South Africa's Rape Crisis: 1 in 4 Men Say They've Done It - TIME

One in two South African women is raped at some point in her life...one in three is raped by her 18th birthday.
South Africa 2000 | Adapting to Change

Considering this isn't mandatory and a woman can chose to insert this, the psychological arguments against it are void. If a woman is reminded or rape or danger while wearing it, then she can just take it out. I think it's a good idea, and hopefully it may scare men into raping women if they know that their victim may have these toothed condom. Something has to be done about the rape, and this is one way for a woman to possibly deter it or catch a perpetrator if he tries to rape her.

once the word gets around that these are becoming popular in a certain location, it wont take but the swip of a finger to test the waters before taking a dip

Back
Top Bottom