• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Sources: Big Ten cancels football season; no games for Michigan, Michigan State in 2020

Rexedgar

Yo-Semite!
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
First of many, I think.

The Big Ten has voted to cancel the 2020 college football season in a historic move that stems from concerns related to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, multiple people with knowledge of the decision confirmed to the Free Press.

Big Ten football canceled for fall; no games for 2020 season

First of many, I think.

The Big Ten has voted to cancel the 2020 college football season in a historic move that stems from concerns related to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, multiple people with knowledge of the decision confirmed to the Free Press.

Glad the conference is putting the players' safety over money. Frankly I can't see how the other conferences won't follow the Big 10's lead.

This will put some pressure on the ACC and SEC to make a decision, that they probably do not want to make. Other conferences have closed up shop for the year as well, might get interesting.

I have to wonder: What exactly is going to happen with athletic scholarships in general?

I would think for this year it makes it simple... they get folded into the student body. The commitments should to pay for the studies continue. But it opens a LOT of question marks. Does everyone get another year of eligibility? Do you declare the entire team 'red shirt'? If some conferences (or sports) press forward, that puts some at an advantage this year, and others next year. What happens to all the bowl money that would normally go toward programs?

Any option to extend / defer eligibility will create a log-jam of incoming high school students as well - fewer slots for incoming freshmen. And how to you recruit high school students who haven't played (or had practice) in a year?

The NCAA is going to have to respond. I agree - this is going to be the start of a domino chain for colleges shutting down fall athletic programs.

First of many, I think.

If true, I cant imagine that any other conferences would continue forward. There is no college football without the Big10. As devastating as it will be for players and fans (myself included), there may be a silver lining to a canceled season: it may encourage some much needed reforms and restructuring of the NCAA

I would think for this year it makes it simple... they get folded into the student body. The commitments should to pay for the studies continue. But it opens a LOT of question marks. Does everyone get another year of eligibility? Do you declare the entire team 'red shirt'? If some conferences (or sports) press forward, that puts some at an advantage this year, and others next year. What happens to all the bowl money that would normally go toward programs?

Any option to extend / defer eligibility will create a log-jam of incoming high school students as well - fewer slots for incoming freshmen. And how to you recruit high school students who haven't played (or had practice) in a year?

The NCAA is going to have to respond. I agree - this is going to be the start of a domino chain for colleges shutting down fall athletic programs.

I think most conferences will try to play in the spring. Therefore most of these questions will be moot. If they don't play in the spring, I agree that it will be a complete mess.

Well...****. This was the year Michigan was going to beat OSU.

This move tells me we aren’t headed in the right direction.

First of many, I think.

Crazy that college football, as well as pro sports, doctors, scientists, virologists, schools, business owners and millions of others are all coordinating this fake virus and giving up millions of dollars just to undermine the election. This is so unfair to Trump, the real victim in all this Covid stuff.

Please cancel that bull**** forever. Maybe we can finally have a generation of kids who aren't so concussed that they think a reality tv show host can run a country.

First of many, I think.

I would think the NFL season is in serious jeopardy as well. Many NFL players are already choosing to opt out for this season due to Covid. I mean if a sport like baseball, which is probably the most naturally predisposed to social distancing of all the major sports, is having trouble with avoiding new infections. What hope is there really that a contact sport like football will fare any better?

First of many, I think.

It's sad. I feel for the kids, the organization, the fans, the towns, and so on.

It looks like both of my sons' NCAA Division 1 hockey seasons are off. They can red shirt if they want, and their scholarships are still applicable but they're upset. If you're good enough to play D1 college sports this hurts.

Glad the season was canceled. Players also should get paid. They aren't there to study and the schools make millions of dollars of of them. Glad they don't have to put themselves at risk for the virus.

I would think the NFL season is in serious jeopardy as well. Many NFL players are already choosing to opt out for this season due to Covid. I mean if a sport like baseball, which is probably the most naturally predisposed to social distancing of all the major sports, is having trouble with avoiding new infections. What hope is there really that a contact sport like football will fare any better?

If a you rip a guys facemask off, do you get 15 yards for face masking?

First of many, I think.

This is going to be a huge hit financially for colleges like Michigan and Michigan State. Football is probably one of their largest sources of revenue.

Last edited:
Well...****. This was the year Michigan was going to beat OSU.

Look on the bright side... this is the first year in a long time Michigan finally won't lose to OSU.

If a you rip a guys facemask off, do you get 15 yards for face masking?

Yep! And the offender must immediately self-isolate for at least 10 days and not return until having at least two consecutive negative tests.

Look on the bright side... this is the first year in a long time Michigan finally won't lose to OSU.

OSU!!!!!

*shakes fist angrily at the sky*

This is going to be a huge hit financially for colleges like Michigan and Michigan State. Football is probably one of their largest sources of revenue.

When the NBA and NCAA Tournament shuttered, at the beginning of this mess, it was a wake up call!

Seems we haven’t gotten very far....:shrug:

Back
Top Bottom