• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Souls

Logician Man

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
For the religious: When does one's soul come into existence ?

Soul embodied begins when embodiment begins. That's all that can be said empirically.

Last edited:
Hi LM...I believe that the Bible supports the thought that we become a living soul at the time of conception...Psalm 139...

13 For you produced my kidneys;
You kept me screened off in my mother’s womb.

14 I praise you because in an awe-inspiring way I am wonderfully made.
Your works are wonderful,
I know this very well.

15 My bones were not hidden from you
When I was made in secret,
When I was woven in the depths of the earth.

16 Your eyes even saw me as an embryo;
All its parts were written in your book
Regarding the days when they were formed,
Before any of them existed."

Hi LM...I believe that the Bible supports the thought that we become a living soul at the time of conception...Psalm 139...

I know this very well.

That introduces a rather interesting dynamic, if true. Should the zygote be terminated for whatever reason, what would eternity be like for an entity who has no ability to think about anything whatsoever.

I know this very well.

Someone wrote that down, and therefore it has to be true?

People used to think everything written was true. "There it is, right there in black and white." Not many could write, so anyone who could was considered a great authority.

TIMES HAVE CHANGED. We call all write, and most of what anyone writes is BS. No exceptions. It was the same back then.

That introduces a rather interesting dynamic, if true. Should the zygote be terminated for whatever reason, what would eternity be like for an entity who has no ability to think about anything whatsoever.

Well, I don't believe the Bible teaches the immortal soul, so of course the child is dead but I do believe Jehovah, being the just and loving God that he is, will give that little one the chance it never had to grow and learn about Him after the resurrection...

You are equating the conscious self with the Self. Christianity can be materialist. Really, eastern religion makes so much more sense.

For LDS, souls existed before the Earth was created.

Though the LDS oppose abortion in general, terminating a fetus isn't killing a soul or depriving it of a chance of a future life on Earth. The preexistent soul will have another opportunity to be born into a body and learn all the lessons it needs to learn in the mortal realm.

For LDS, souls existed before the Earth was created.

Though the LDS oppose abortion in general, terminating a fetus isn't killing a soul or depriving it of a chance of a future life on Earth. The preexistent soul will have another opportunity to be born into a body and learn all the lessons it needs to learn in the mortal realm.
Interesting. I was not aware of this. Thanks for the input.

"THE OVER-SOUL"

The philosophy of six thousand years has not searched the chambers and magazines of the soul. In its experiments there has always remained, in the last analysis, a residuum it could not resolve. Man is a stream whose source is hidden. Our being is descending into us from we know not whence. The most exact calculator has no prescience that somewhat incalculable may not balk the very next moment. I am constrained every moment to acknowledge a higher origin for events than the will I call mine.

We live in succession, in division, in parts, in particles. Meantime within man is the soul of the whole; the wise silence; the universal beauty, to which every part and particle is equally related; the eternal ONE. And this deep power in which we exist and whose beatitude is all accessible to us, is not only self-sufficing and perfect in every hour, but the act of seeing and the thing seen, the seer and the spectacle, the subject and the object, are one. We see the world piece by piece, as the sun, the moon, the animal, the tree; but the whole, of which these are the shining parts, is the soul.

--Ralph Waldo Emerson, Nature

THE OVER-SOUL. by Ralph Waldo Emerson - The Literature Page

From the Biblical standpoint we do not possess a soul but we ARE a soul...

Soul
The traditional rendering of the Hebrew word neʹphesh and the Greek word psy·kheʹ. In examining the way these terms are used in the Bible, it becomes evident that they basically refer to (1) people, (2) animals, or (3) the life that a person or an animal has. (Ge 1:20; 2:7; Nu 31:28; 1Pe 3:20; also ftns.) In contrast to the way that the term “soul” is used in many religious contexts, the Bible shows that both neʹphesh and psy·kheʹ, in connection with earthly creatures, refer to that which is material, tangible, visible, and mortal. In this translation, these original-language words have most often been rendered according to their meaning in each context, using such terms as “life,” “creature,” “person,” “one’s whole being,” or simply as a personal pronoun (for example, “I” for “my soul”). In most cases, footnotes give the alternative rendering “soul.” When the term “soul” is used, either in the main text or in footnotes, it should be understood in line with the above explanation. When referring to doing something with one’s whole soul, it means to do it with one’s whole being, wholeheartedly, or with one’s whole life. (De 6:5; Mt 22:37) In some contexts, these original-language words can be used to refer to the desire or appetite of a living creature. They can also refer to a dead person or a dead body.​—Nu 6:6; Pr 23:2; Isa 56:11; Hag 2:13.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/s/r1/lp-e?q=soul&p=sen&r=occ

You are equating the conscious self with the Self. Christianity can be materialist. Really, eastern religion makes so much more sense.

What is the difference between the conscious self and the Self? A capital S?

Sure it does. You just don't understand question or answer.

I understand both perfectly well. The question was about when your soul comes into existence. You did not answer that.

Soul embodied begins when embodiment begins. That's all that can be said empirically.

Sounds pretty straightforward to me...

What is the difference between the conscious self and the Self? A capital S?

This has been discussed for over a century in western psychology -- differentiating the conscious ego from the subconscious, or unconscious, mind. Freud, Jung, William James, many others, have gone over this. Freud had a non-spiritual perspective, but Jung and James both believed the subconscious mind connects with something greater than the individual.

In some eastern religion, there is an inner Self which connects with the divine.

In all mystical traditions, the Self is infinitely greater than the everyday conscious self, or ego.

This has been discussed for over a century in western psychology -- differentiating the conscious ego from the subconscious, or unconscious, mind. Freud, Jung, William James, many others, have gone over this. Freud had a non-spiritual perspective, but Jung and James both believed the subconscious mind connects with something greater than the individual.

In some eastern religion, there is an inner Self which connects with the divine.

In all mystical traditions, the Self is infinitely greater than the everyday conscious self, or ego.

Someone wrote that down, and therefore it has to be true?

People used to think everything written was true. "There it is, right there in black and white." Not many could write, so anyone who could was considered a great authority.

TIMES HAVE CHANGED. We call all write, and most of what anyone writes is BS. No exceptions. It was the same back then.:roll:

Body and soul are one and the same?

Body and soul come into existence together, but soul hangs around after body decays?

Soul is just a concept, empirically.

Body and soul come into existence together, but soul hangs around after body decays?

Yeah. I like using the word soul to describe my well-being, but I understand that we don't actually have souls.

No, soul is the necessary and sufficient condition for empiricism, conceptualization, experience, consciousness.
The before and after are beyond our ken.

Back
Top Bottom