• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

SOTU: Biden's OK

grip

Slow 🅖 Hand
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Besides Biden's minor gaffes, which he has always been prone to, he's turning out to be a much better president than I thought he would.

"We should all agree: The answer is not to defund the police," Biden said during his first official State of the Union address on Tuesday night. "The answer is to FUND the police with the resources and training they need to protect our communities."

I agree that we need more funding for police training, salary increases, and more officers. Hold them accountable for excessive force, but don't punish innocent law abiders with more criminals and lack of enforcement.

Now if Biden will just open up domestic oil production, he'll be right on track.

Besides Biden's minor gaffes, which he has always been prone to, he's turning out to be a much better president than I thought he would.

"We should all agree: The answer is not to defund the police," Biden said during his first official State of the Union address on Tuesday night. "The answer is to FUND the police with the resources and training they need to protect our communities."

I agree that we need more funding for police training, salary increases, and more officers. Hold them accountable for excessive force, but don't punish innocent law abiders with more criminals and lack of enforcement.

Now if Biden will just open up domestic oil production, he'll be right on track.

Setting aside for the moment the environmental impact of even more drilling, that is not a short-term solution to gas prices. It takes years for wells to be sited and built, and the oil to be sent to market.

The solution that we can start right now is to conserve. Drive less, ditch gas guzzlers, weatherproof your home, and upgrade to more energy-efficient appliances. That's what will lower our energy bills and gas prices.

Teeter-totter is a bad way to balance L and R in hopes of finding a middle.

Calling Biden's SOTU speech "OK" is generous. I think a more deserving grade would be "D-", with a "C" for effort.

SOTU speeches are mostly platitudes, a list of fake accomplishments, and lots of promises of more money for someone's pork enthusiasms, in that it was no different. But Biden's delivery and brain-deadening content was especially bad. Slurred speech, misspoke errors, looking so small in the world crisis compared to Zeminski.

He had an opportunity to rise to the occasion and failed miserably.

I thought this would have been a no brainer, even for someone as mentally challenged as Joe. Here was his FDR or Churchill moment, a moment to rally the country against a great moral and military threat, a moment to unite our people, and those of the free world, to stop the rise of a great new fascist power. Here was a moment to admit that the US and the West's hostility to fossil fuels and nuclear power has led to record gas prices, and a horrible dependency on Russia for much of the free world. Here was a moment to confess, as Summers has pointed out, the Recovery Act was a bone headed mistake fueling inflation.

Instead, we get helpful policy advice like: "I think I have a better idea to fight inflation. Lower your cost, not your wages” (I'm surprised he did not also add that we ought to "Sell below cost and make it up in volume".

Oh, and it seems Biden has identified a here-to-fore undiscovered Big Meat Cartel conspiracy, that just happened to appear after the supply chain screwup and the massive increase in the M2 money supply. Ya sure, that's the reason for inflation (not).

But hey, he say's he is going crackdown on those companies overcharging American businesses and consumers... you know, the same backfiring philosophy used by Venezuela to push its economy into the gutter. (Hey, why not demand wage and price controls, another abject failure in the past).

What could have been a political coup in unifying leadership, perhaps mitigating his party's projected 2022 election losses, turned in a caricature of the same old Biden, doing the same old politics every SOTU.

Here's a thought. If US forces extract Zemensky, they could leave Biden to run Ukraine, and we could get a President that we can all respect.

Setting aside for the moment the environmental impact of even more drilling, that is not a short-term solution to gas prices. It takes years for wells to be sited and built, and the oil to be sent to market.

The solution that we can start right now is to conserve. Drive less, ditch gas guzzlers, weatherproof your home, and upgrade to more energy-efficient appliances. That's what will lower our energy bills and gas prices.
Drilling new leases takes a few months and reviving old wells is not nearly as long. The "years" explanation is simply unfactual in most cases.

Driving less and ditching gas guzzlers will not happen anytime soon. The public simply isn't ready unless they dramatically reduce the costs of EVs.

Already there.

It's a work in progress.

“For the last year, year and a half, it’s been OPEC+ running the show, but U.S. production is coming back already, and it’s going to come back more in 2022,” said oil expert Daniel Yergin.

Calling Biden's SOTU speech "OK" is generous. I think a more deserving grade would be "D-", with a "C" for effort.

SOTU speeches are mostly platitudes, a list of fake accomplishments, and lots of promises of more money for someone's pork enthusiasms, in that it was no different. But Biden's delivery and brain-deadening content was especially bad. Slurred speech, misspoke errors, looking so small in the world crisis compared to Zeminski.

He had an opportunity to rise to the occasion and failed miserably.

I thought this would have been a no brainer, even for someone as mentally challenged as Joe. Here was his FDR or Churchill moment, a moment to rally the country against a great moral and military threat, a moment to unite our people, and those of the free world, to stop the rise of a great new fascist power. Here was a moment to admit that the US and the West's hostility to fossil fuels and nuclear power has led to record gas prices, and a horrible dependency on Russia for much of the free world. Here was a moment to confess, as Summers has pointed out, the Recovery Act was a bone headed mistake fueling inflation.

Instead, we get helpful policy advice like: "I think I have a better idea to fight inflation. Lower your cost, not your wages” (I'm surprised he did not also add that we ought to "Sell below cost and make it up in volume".

Oh, and it seems Biden has identified a here-to-fore undiscovered Big Meat Cartel conspiracy, that just happened to appear after the supply chain screwup and the massive increase in the M2 money supply. Ya sure, that's the reason for inflation (not).

But hey, he say's he is going crackdown on those companies overcharging American businesses and consumers... you know, the same backfiring philosophy used by Venezuela to push its economy into the gutter. (Hey, why not demand wage and price controls, another abject failure in the past).

What could have been a political coup in unifying leadership, perhaps mitigating his party's projected 2022 election losses, turned in a caricature of the same old Biden, doing the same old politics every SOTU.

Here's a thought. If US forces extract Zemensky, they could leave Biden to run Ukraine, and we could get a President that we can all respect.

Who the hell is Zemensky/Zeminski? Do you mean Zelensky - the man whose name has been in the news 24/7 for a week?

You have the indecency to criticize Biden for saying one word wrong - Urainians - and you can't even properly identify the President of the Ukraine?

Who the hell is Zemensky/Zeminski? Do you mean Zelensky - the man whose name has been in the news 24/7 for a week?

You have the indecency to criticize Biden for saying one word wrong - Urainians - and you can't even properly identify the President of the Ukraine?

LOL, he didn't say the word "Urainians" wrong. It was "Ukrainians" he said wrong. Or to borrow your phrasing "What the hell is a Urainian?"

You and I are not President and if you or I couldn't speak clearly and coherently after spending days of intense preparation neither of us should be in office. And while I didn't mention any particular word, if a misspoken word were the totality of fault, who cares?

For all the plethora of reasons and numerous impressions Biden failed. The case for a "D-" stands...learn to live with it.

LOL, he didn't say the word "Urainians" wrong. It was "Ukrainians" he said wrong. Or to borrow your phrasing "What the hell is a Urainian?"

You and I are not President and if you or I couldn't speak clearly and coherently after spending days of intense preparation neither of us should be in office. And while I didn't mention any particular word, if a misspoken word were the totality of fault, who cares?

For all the plethora of reasons and numerous impressions Biden failed. The case for a "D-" stands...learn to live with it.

I already said he said "Urainians". I said he said one word wrong, and it was that word. I know he meant to say Ukrainian. So does everyone else who listened to the SOTU. Were you repeating all that because you were confused when you read it the first time?

Now, explain why you criticized Biden for mispronouncing one word wrong when you have all the time in the world and no pressure on you to get the Ukrainian President's name right, and you didn't. Twice.

Drilling new leases takes a few months and reviving old wells is not nearly as long. The "years" explanation is simply unfactual in most cases.

Brand new wells take a long time to get going. And then you have to ship it to the refinery, refine the fuel, and then ship it to the customer.

This is not an overnight process like the "drill baby drill" crowd wants us to think.

Driving less and ditching gas guzzlers will not happen anytime soon. The public simply isn't ready unless they dramatically reduce the costs of EVs.

Or gas prices go way up.

I already said he said "Urainians". I said he said one word wrong, and it was that word. I know he meant to say Ukrainian.

If you want to be understood you ought to a) compose a sentence with correct syntax and b) know that most of us heard "Iranians", not Uranians. You wrote that the one word wrong is Uranians, especially confusing us is the fact that most "everyone else" heard "Iranians" not "Uranians". You may know what you meant to say, but your faulty syntax and ignorance of the typical perception of what he said ("Iranians") isn't anyone's communication fault but your own.

Now, explain why you criticized Biden for mispronouncing one word wrong when you have all the time in the world and no pressure on you to get the Ukrainian President's name right, and you didn't. Twice.

I've said more than once why I criticized Biden's performance, regarding slurred speech, misspeaking, and looking small compared to Ukraine's president. I've told you what we should expect out of President and made the case that he isn't providing it. If you want to claim his misspeaking was just one minor occasion, fine by me - its not worth arguing over because it makes no material difference to the D- grade.

In short, it doesn't matter if maxparrish misspelled a name twice, what matters is that America has a President that has very poor delivery and his name ain't maxparrish.

So either address the argument, stay on topic, and cease the trying to make the poster the subject of the OP or go bye bye.

Last edited:
If you want to be understood you ought to a) compose a sentence with correct syntax and b) know that most of us heard "Iranians", not Uranians. You wrote that the one word wrong is Uranians, especially confusing us is the fact that most "everyone else" heard "Iranians" not "Uranians". You may know what you meant to say, but your faulty syntax and ignorance of the typical perception of what he said ("Iranians") isn't anyone's communication fault but your own.

I've said more than once why I criticized Biden's performance, regarding slurred speech, misspeaking, and looking small compared to Ukraine's president. I've told you what we should expect out of President and made the case that he isn't providing it. If you want to claim his misspeaking was just one minor occasion, fine by me - its not worth arguing over because it makes no material difference to the D- grade.

In short, it doesn't matter if maxparrish misspelled a name twice, what matters is that America has a President that has very poor delivery and his name ain't maxparrish.

So either address the argument, stay on topic, and cease the trying to make the poster the subject of the OP or go bye bye.

You don't even know the name of the Ukrainian President, and you had all the time in the world to post it right.

You should look in the mirror.

Back
Top Bottom