• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

SOTU Address:[W: 378; 1310; 1451]

REally? Who? Can you name them? Are you talking about getting paid every two weeks. Based on a salery in the top 1%? Who are these people?

Many top professionals, doctors, lawyers, consultants, etc., easily crack the top 1%. Engineers and executives too.

As you wish. Whine and wriggle all you want, the fact remains that they pay at least their fair share.eace

It's not fair. that's the whole point.

The Reagan speech. Im sure you can corroborate the liberal race baiting and dog whistle theories with actual quotes from the parties involved in setting up the event right? Oh. You cant

In fact I can. Ronald Reagan, on the campaign trail in 1980, saying in Mississippi "I believe in states' rights" (a sentence the New Statesman later described as "perhaps the archetypal dog-whistle statement"), described as implying Reagan believed that states should be allowed, if they want, to retain racial segregation. In 1981, former Republican Party strategist and Reagan campaign manager; Lee Atwater, when giving an anonymous interview discussing the GOP's Southern Strategy said:

“You start out in 1954 by saying, "N, n, n." By 1968, you can't say "n" — that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites. And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me — because obviously sitting around saying, "We want to cut this," is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than "N, n.” There is an audio recording of this.

McCain and Rubio working on immigration reform that can pass. Several notable Republicans signing onto the gay marriage brief.

My, how liberal of them.

How about the HHS flap over contraceptives and the Catholic Church, that may matter to a great many Hispanics.

Yeah...that really won them over didn't it?:roll: Even after all that nonsense 74% of Latinos voted against you.

This pile of piss and wind.

Right. It's also true.

I didnt say any of that, thats you projecting again.

Again you say "that". What is THAT which you're saying you didn't say? You're quoting me in which I haven't said that you SAID anything. My response that you quoted comes from you claiming that I need to be right on everything. I told you I know that I could be wrong about a lot of things. Can you? So what is THAT which you're referring to?

Your a hardline ideologue portraying yourself as an intellectual free thinker.

What's my ideology? Haven't you seen my sig? I don't subscribe to or hold ideologies. You seem to be suggesting that a person without an ideology has an ideology of not having an ideology. That's like saying that atheism is a religion of non-belief in religion. It's pretzel logic.

You aren't, not even close

And...you would know so much about "free thinking". I can see what an authority you are on that subject.

Your criticism flows one direction and thats at your opposition.

My criticism points directly at absolutist statements because the people making them are really nuts, and they're easy to take apart and stand in the way of truth. So yes, that's my opposition. I oppose bull**** and expose it for what it is. That's my only interest. Is something logical and rational, or more fictional beliefs or absolutist dogma. The criticisms are aimed at only one thing; Is the claim true of false. Assertions are always claims and they must be justified rationally. If they can't be demonstrated as being true...then what makes them worth accepting as true? What are they based on? And then, what justifies that base, and what is that justification based on. All ideas are open to criticism. There are no sacred cows. Unless you're an ideologue in which that becomes "sacred ground". Like I said, I could be wrong. So I can be willing to put my own to that same criticism. If they're wrong, I dump them for something that is true.

Btw, your circular logic here assumes from the start with little logical basis.

Can you demonstrate the circular logic that you refer to? I mean just saying that means nothing. Give me an example.

Plus you present a whole host of thoughts and positions as mine that I have not presented. How many fallacies you want to go for in one paragraph?

I haven't presented any as if they are yours. I'm not speaking for you. The only reference to you personally would be this: " If you ever had any interest in the truth...you'd look at your ideology and ask yourself, what is it based on? When you find out..then ask what that base is based on. You'll find yourself in a dilemma of infinite regress vs your dogma. You'll always be looking for another basis to justify the one that comes next. It's a black hole, and theres no way out of it, except to say I believe it because I believe it, which is circular reasoning." It's called Modus Tollens. IF/THEN. IF you had any interest in the truth, THEN you'd look at your ideology and ask what it's based on. What part of that is false?

How many fallacies you want to go for in one paragraph?

Show me one. Apparently you can list a bunch. I'm just asking for one.

So does liberalism.

Nope. Racism always has a conservative element to it. Racism isn't a liberal concept. Nice try, and I'm sure it makes you feel better to think that, but its not true. A conservative wants to preserve institutions and slavery, and Jim Crow, and Segregation were all conservative institutions. Liberalism is always a challenge to those institutions. Conservatives institutionalized racism. Liberals fought to eliminate it. The Civil Rights Act was a liberal idea. Not a conservative one. They fought against it. I find it amazing that on the very day that Rosa Parks statue is enshrined in the Capital Statuary Hall, the first women to be enshrined there, a woman from Alabama...and just down the street two Conservative Senators from Alabama sponsor Shelby County Alabama in a challenge to the Voting Rights Act in the Supreme Court. The very thing that Rosa Parks led the way toward. The timing was perfect. I'll tell you this, if the African/American community felt that liberalism was racist, why do you think 94% of them vote for liberals? They know where that hate comes from.

Establishment republicans arent very conservative.

They don't run the Republican Party. Conservatives do. They nominated a "severely conservative governor". Remember? And there isn't a single Republican that doesn't call himself a conservative. If you aren't a conservative, you're destined to be primaried by one more conservative than you are. That's ideology run amok.Extremism in full bloom.

Maybe we ought to try it and see if it works before looking down nose dismissal begins.

Actually, by Tea Party standards, it needs to be "small enough to drown in the bathtub"- Grover Norquist. It can't be small enough unless it's completely gone. It'll never be small enough to the Tea Party Conservative, until everything is dismantled. The problem is that the people don't want that. That's why you're losing elections. Which is also why it's not a smear. It's the truth as stated by people like Norguist. When the TeaParty conservatives tell me they hate the government; that goverenment is the problem; that they want to cut it to the bone, then this statement "Join the TeaParty and take down the entire government of the United States, and it'll be every man for himself", is no smear. Because if that's the goal, then that's going to be the result.

No. Claiming that the White House was cheering the death toll of 6 year olds to promote a politial agenda...that's true hate in action. That's irrational hate. That kind of hate is pure evil. You have a very sick and cynical view of people and anybody that harbors that kind of hate, isn't worth the time of day. What you actually do is reveal yourself as vile. And you confuse nobody. You torpedoed any credibility you may have hoped to gain. Any message you try to offer is buried by your own hate. Maybe you'll learn to read what you write before posting and consider the damage that you do to your own credibility.

WHere did I say anything about 6 year olds dying? Maybe you ought to get some help with reading comprehension. This Thread is about Obama's SOU speech and his rhetoric vs his results. Your posts are filled with personal attacks and political hack points that are irrelevant to the topic. You buy the Obama rhetoric and ignore the Obama results claiming it is the fault of "hate" radio.

Obama's record is a disaster but because he tells you what you want to hear you buy the rhetoric and ignore the results. You are easily swayed by rhetoric and that makes you part of the problem and not part of the solution. You never answer direct questions and always strive to change the discussion to other topics. Tell me how Obama policies are going to reduce the 16.6 trillion dollar debt, put the 22+ million unemployed/under employed/discouraged workers back to work full time paying full taxes, reduce the numbers on taxpayer assistance, and creates more than .1% GDP growth?

They have yet to adress Nationally the rising death toll in Chicago. I didn't see one crying Chicago parent holding up a sign of their kids in the Congressional Hearing yesterday.

Yes, the lefts obsession with gun control is nothing new. Obama's choice to ignore thousands of gangland murders which includes way more that 20 kids reaches a new level of demagoguery and selfishness.

Why didn't they start this anti Gun tirade after the Chicago 6 year old girl was killed in her living room last year ?

Oh I know why, they didn't care.

Except you didnt include the part with the entire interview and the context of what Atwater is talking about is what politicians ran in the South. In the 50s it was pure race baiting, in the 60s it was voter rights/Jim Crow/forced busing, in the 70s, Atwater was describing what you would want to run on to appeal to voters. Hes not equating the things as being equal hes saying what strategy would work for voters. Voters werent just whites anymore, so the strategy going forward has to be different. Its a historical idea as much as anything else. The first 5 minutes are all about the context BEFORE he made those statements and places the context of what he meant.

Exclusive: Lee Atwater

Yeah...that really won them over didn't it?:roll: Even after all that nonsense 74% of Latinos voted against you.
Maybe it should. Promising them bread and circuses only works for so long.

Right. It's also true.
Nah, its not.

Sigh. You make blanket assertions like I believe conservatism cant be wrong. At no point did I say or assert that. In fact I disagree with a lot of socially conservative positions. If you could avoid making arguments about things Ive never said that would be super.

You hold liberal positions most often, and you havent bothered to clarify or voice any positions other than liberal ones. So Im going with liberal until you post something different. So far you sound like a liberal water carrier we see around here quite a lot, matter of fact you sound like an amalgamation of HoJ and Haymarket.

And...you would know so much about "free thinking". I can see what an authority you are on that subject.
DBAJ. Just one post, try it.

So far you are lodged pretty far into liberal territory. Its not "truth", or "sacred ground", its just ideology based upon a realm of political thinking. You also seem a lot more wedded to it, than I do, but less honest about it.

Can you demonstrate the circular logic that you refer to? I mean just saying that means nothing. Give me an example.
You assume I believe conservatism is infallible and go about proving that without any argument from me to that effect. You assume Im wedded to conservativism on all issues, also not true.

The part where you assume to know what I believe without actually finding out. You are most definitely speaking for me by assuming what I believe without delving into any specifics whatsoever. Ive taken very few positions here, in point of fact, and Im tired of dealing with your lecturing, cajoling and overbearing crap.

Show me one. Apparently you can list a bunch. I'm just asking for one.
Democrats treat minorities as voting blocks rather than people that have the same needs as other Americans.

Racism is racism. I dont think its a conservative or liberal concept, its a dehumanizing one. One I dont agree with on any level.

In fact, many of them are not conservative or only nominally so. If they WERE conservative they would not face primary challenges from the right so often, McCain amongst them.

So what is it when blue dog dems faced primary challenges from the left? Because there are currently fewer House moderates than there were just 4 years ago. Many of them were primaried.

So, now Im supposed to believe exactly what Grover Norquist believes? Really? Its GOT to be all or nothing eh? Did I argue that? I argued we should be making cuts because the spending we are at is not sustainable. I didnt say every man for himself, YOU said I did. So many misrepresentations in one post, how pathetic.

This is "your" President and apparently someone you are proud of especially the results he has generated. More statistics from "hate radio?"

24 Statistics Just to Verify Obama Has Been a Horrible President

They have yet to adress Nationally the rising death toll in Chicago.

Apparently you weren't watching the SOTU address. You know, the one that this thread is all about? They're addressing the rising death toll in the country, not only Chicago. He spoke quite clearly about the murder of a young girl who sang at his inauguration, was shot and killed a mile from his home in Chicago. He even mentioned her parent's who happend to be sitting with the First Lady in the Gallery. He spoke of the killings in many cities including Chicago specifically. His former Chief of Staff is Mayor of Chicago. He's quite well aware of the murder epidemic in Chicago. That's his home remember?

So...are you suggesting that they were cheering the rising body count of 6year old kids? Is that what you're saying? Is this the new conservative talking point?

Do you have any data beyond "I think . . ."?:thinking

Actually I have lots of data and have already shared it in this thread (apparently you missed it).

But your question was subjective, so "I think" is a reflection of the subjective nature of the question.

I know exactly how much taxes are paid by the group of people under a million, and over a million for that matter, but as I said, "I think" the people under a million are paying their fair share.

Someone else with the exact same data might "think" that they pay more or less than their fair share.

Criminy, you ask for my opinion and whine when I give you my opinion?

You posted this in a previous comment: "I imagined more than a few high fives going around the white house when the body count came in. Classy...Originally Posted by Fenton. No Fenton. That wasn't a classy thing to say at all. That was no class.

I owe Conservative an appology. Fenton here, lists himself as a conservative. There's also a poster here that calls himself, Conservative. The two of them talk about the very same things. And I mistakenly confused Conservative with a conservative. I said some pretty nasty stuff about the above comment which, as it turns out, actually came from Fenton, and for that, I appolgize. ( Mr. Owl...take note. I told you, I know I could be wrong, and when you are you recognize it and you do something about it.) So, in light of that, I take back the comments I directed at Conservative. And Deliver them here for Fenton.

I think your credibility, or what there was of it, is completely gone as a legitimate poster. You're consumed with hate as we can see. You require a notebook of "talking points" provided to you by the RNC or Sean Hannity, or Rush Limpballs, or whatever other freak shares your all consuming hatred for anything outside your narrow little world in order to make you feel like you can hold your own on a political forum. You clearly can't think for yourself, and you're overflowing with hatred for this particular president. I can't imagine why? :roll: This is hate mongering at it's worst, and I'm not interested in anything you have to say. You've wasted mine and everyone elses time with your garbage. :smash:

It's not fair. that's the whole point.
exactly. and it should be obvious to anyone who cares to look

and those who insist the elite pay the most taxes are absolutely correct
but what they fail to also recognize is that they also realize the most after tax income growth

and let's see how that plays out in terms of accumulated wealth

the data is quite clear. the very rich are doing very well. not so much the rest of us. and the obvious conclusion is that the rich are NOT paying their fair share while enjoying a disproportionate share of the prosperity
when that is no longer the circumstance, only then can it be said the rich are actually paying their 'fair' share of the tax burden

trickle down my ass!

American Pie: Wealth and Income Inequality in America

Better late than never I suppose. I mean how long did it take them to notice the rising death toll in Chicago ?

It takes a school of white kindegardeners to get his attention apparently.

Actually his true motives are far more disgusting.

He couldn't hang decades old Democrat gun laws on murdered Chicago kids. Not enough "oohmph! " factor.

The data might be "clear" but your understanding of our economic system is about as clear as a muddy puddle.

Hell, adagio was just bragging the other day about the rich getting richer.....DOW.

It's what happens when a leader saddles massive amounts of debt, regulation and mandates on those who PRODUCE.

They simply sit on their capital. SHOCKER !!!

Hey what's the current Fed Reserve up to now ?

Lol. You guys whine about the rich keeping their assets out of the economy but are blissfully unaware of the mechanism YOU PEOPLE put in place thats causing it

I don't think there is a better description that exempflies your ideology more.

It must be embarrasing.

Last edited:

I know what Addagio's been doing all day.

I never asked for your opinion, and I remain uninterested in it. I would be happy to learn the facts on which your opinion is based.

This is "your" President and apparently someone you are proud of especially the results he has generated. More statistics from "hate radio?"

24 Statistics Just to Verify Obama Has Been a Horrible President

Wingnut talking points. Wow! What took you so long? How about "20 reasons to hate the Obama's dog"? do you have that one? You offer a list of 24 talking points. Did you prepare that list? No. So who gave it to you? So, I'm supposed to wade through each of the 24 points, and address these one by one? And first I would need to know who supplied them to you, and check their own credibility for oh...you know, bias. Then after determining that not only are they from a right wing website, I have to fact check each of your 24 points and respond to each one. And you think I'm going to indulge you in all that crap? They aren't even your own thoughts. Why not just debate with them instead of you? You have nothing to offer here worth debating. Like your twin that was separated from you at birth...you don't think for yourself. You require help from others. That's weak. When you do this you are appealing to a bias authority. It's called Argumentum ad Verecundiam. Appeal to Biased Authority. In this sort of appeal, the authority is one who actually is knowledgeable on the matter, but one who may have professional or personal motivations that render his professional judgment suspect: for instance, the source of your talking points. What you're asking me to do is to accept the authority of a biased source. Basing a substantial part of your argument on a source that has personal, professional, or financial interests at stake may lead to biased arguments. We already have biased arguments. Why would I want to accept your biased source? What is their authority based on? And you think I'm going to indulge in this kind of paper chase? Learn to think on your own. Come up with your own logical arguments. Lets see if you can do it.

Wingnut talking points. .

Just popping in Adaigo. All of your post show up on my profile page so I always glance at them.

Sorry for the thread drift, but I've noticed how often those on the left keep using the word "wingnuts" as a noun instead of an adjective ?

In my career I have purchased wingnuts that have a reverse thread. Have you ever noticed on heavy duty trucks like Peterbilt and Kenworth semi tractors that on one side the lug nuts for the tires/wheels have right threads and the other side are left threads ?

Please inform us when you are referring to wingnuts if your referring to right wingnuts or left wingnuts.

I'm willing to bet that left wingnuts are reversed thread wingnuts.

Have a good one.

Later.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…