• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Songwriter JJ Cale--"After Midnight" and "Cocaine"--has died

nota bene

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
From the New York Post:

If musicians were measured not by the number of records they sold but by the number of peers they influenced, JJ Cale would have been a towering figure in 1970s rock 'n' roll.

…The list of artists who covered his music or cite him as a direct influence reads like a who's who of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame — Clapton, Neil Young, Tom Petty, Johnny Cash, Mark Knopfler, The Allman Brothers, Carlos Santana, Captain Beefheart and Bryan Ferry among many others.

Young said in Jimmy McDonough's biography "Shakey" that Cale and Jimi Hendrix were the best guitar players he had ever heard. And in his recent memoir "Waging Heavy Peace," Young said Cale's "Crazy Mama" — his biggest hit, rising to No. 22 on the Billboard singles chart — was one of the five songs that most influenced him as a songwriter: "The song is true, simple, and direct, and the delivery is very natural. JJ's guitar playing is a huge influence on me. His touch is unspeakable."

Grammy winning songwriter JJ Cale, who wrote hits for Eric Clapton, Lynyrd Skynyrd, dead at 74 - NYPOST.com

Somewhere, some Place "slow hand" is weeping

"Call me the breeze, I keep blowin' down the road."
Hasta la vista, John.

JJ Cale
Last Will and Testament
Well I met this old woman
She was hard as nails
I think she just come out of the
County jail
Would I loan her some money
Just to pay her rent
If I would she would put me
In her
Last Will and Testament

Well I've got lots of children
An ex-wife or two
I never hear from them
til the bills are due
The money I gave them
They already spent
If I could just help 'em out
They would put me in their
Last Will and Testament

You know I'm goin' over
sixty I'm older than most
It won't be long now
I'll be nothin' but a ghost
My intentions It's my intent
To leave all of them people
Out of my
Last Will and Testament

And when it's all over
They put you in the ground
Send my belongings
To the Lost and Found
My intentions It's my intent
To leave all of them people
Out of my
Last Will and Testament

R.I.P. John
THANKS for the many, many memories

he made it to be enjoyed. so, let's do

Probably one of my favorites of his. Never can be played too many times.

Listening to him made me think the word, 'cool' was just mispronouncing his name.

Back
Top Bottom