• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Songs You Don't Admit You Like

People tag Enya with the "New Age" label, so I knew that one would get some attention. If you've heard "Sail Away" though, you notice that she thanks the person who helped her get an international audience. Most singers these days instead squabble over contract terms with the people who gave them their big chance, so I think that Enya hasn't been spoiled by her fame. With that brief interlude of seriousness over, let the embarrassing confessions continue! :smile:

Okay, I declare "victory". I like Hilary and Haylie Duff's cover of "Our Lips Are Sealed". :3oops:

GarzaUK said:
I like Rachel Stevens, S Club 7 and Kate Bush. :3oops: lol

Hey I love Kate Bush! Am I supposed to be embarrassed of that? :confused:

Arts&Sciences said:
Who is Kate Bush? :confused:

Ummmmm. Let's see........

she's a chick :mrgreen:

I don't know how to categorize her. She's a Brit (right, Garza?). First appeared in the late fringes of the punk scene - the late '70s - but she is most especially NOT punk. Perhaps she might be considered a pop singer. But with a little Jeanette McDonald thrown in there. Her voice is beautiful but strange. Almost operatic. Her most famous single I think was Wuthering Heights. She never really made it big in the states. She is beautiful. She's still around, too. She did a lovely duet with Peter Gabriel called, Don't Give Up.

Oh, and my kids hate her, lol. Except for the duet I mentioned above, which they love, go figure. But they can't stand it when I listen to her. Or Joni Mitchell, either.

Well, if she is anything like Joni Mitchell, I can't say that I'd be interested in her music (no offense).

Arts&Sciences said:
Well, if she is anything like Joni Mitchell, I can't say that I'd be interested in her music (no offense).

lol, see what I mean?

You wouldn't like her. She certainly is a far cry from Hillary Duff. ;)

So far, this is the list of embarrassing music that I like:

“Africa” Toto
“Come Clean” Hilary Duff
“Love of a Lifetime” Firehouse
“Our Lips Are Sealed” Hilary and Haylie Duff (Cover)
“Sail Away” Enya”
“Stuck on You” Stacie Orrico

Now if I somehow bought the rights to do it and compiled an album featuring these six songs, how much would you be willing to pay for it? :lol:

I'm not sure I'd take it for free.

No offense intended of course....... ;) .

The ultimate guilty pleasue is listening to Journey "lovin, touchin, squeezin" when I get to sing "nah-naah-nah-naah-nah-nah..nah-nah-nah-naaah-nah..nah" well, you know the rest - at the top of my lungs going down the road :shock:

hiker said:
"nah-naah-nah-naah-nah-nah..nah-nah-nah-naaah-nah..nah" well, you know the rest -

you mean "na-nah, na-nah, nah....nah, nah, na-nah, na, na-nah, na-nah, na-nah." Yeah that fifteenth refrain of nah-nahs really gets me. :2wave:

But rest assured it's not nearly as embarrassing as my love of Christopher Cross's Sailing.

There is no song that I would ever be afraid to admit that I liked.

Even if a song selection by me was ridiculed, I'm quite sure I could defend the merits of that song.

cnredd said:
Gilbert O'Sullivan - Alone Again (Naturally)**

OMG - you are so fired!

vauge said:
OMG - you are so fired!
Hey!...I got evidence I said the Beatles were my favorite group!

That gives me immunity...:2wave:

mixedmedia said:
Ummmmm. Let's see........

she's a chick :mrgreen:

I don't know how to categorize her. She's a Brit (right, Garza?). First appeared in the late fringes of the punk scene - the late '70s - but she is most especially NOT punk. Perhaps she might be considered a pop singer. But with a little Jeanette McDonald thrown in there. Her voice is beautiful but strange. Almost operatic. Her most famous single I think was Wuthering Heights. She never really made it big in the states. She is beautiful. She's still around, too. She did a lovely duet with Peter Gabriel called, Don't Give Up.

Oh, and my kids hate her, lol. Except for the duet I mentioned above, which they love, go figure. But they can't stand it when I listen to her. Or Joni Mitchell, either.

Yeah she's a Brit. Weird, weird and wonderful music - to me anyway. I said that I liked her to my friends, they're still laughing about it lol.
Wuthering Heights, Wow and On Your Lap are my favs.

Haven't got her just realeased new album though. :(

mixedmedia said:
Hey I love Kate Bush! Am I supposed to be embarrassed of that? :confused:

lots of talent Ms Bush has. In 1989, about this time of the year, I bought my first house and most of my stuff was packed up. As i was setting stuff up, I got the stereo up and running and all my stuff was packed up except a kate bush record-the one her first video that featured David Gilmour of Pink Floyd on it. I hear that record alot for a week:mrgreen:

Last edited:
Rocketman by Elton John. In fact I like alot of Elton John songs. Does that make me gay lol???

Rocketman by Elton John. In fact I like alot of Elton John songs. Does that make me gay lol???

Yes. :lol: (just kidding, it just means your on the way ;) )

GarzaUK said:

Wha? Now, liking Elton John is not cool?

There's a great dvd that has compiled performances from a Brit music show (Garza you probably know all about this, too) called The Old Grey Whistle Test and one of the performances was Elton John sitting at a piano singing Tiny Dancer and it was so beautiful, I remember thinking how sad it is that commercial pop music has become such a dead art form.

This dvd also has the most incredible live performance ever recorded for television, in my opinion, The Edgar Winter Group doing Frankenstein. It will blow your mind and give you a whole new appreciation of the virtuosity and downright bee-zarness of Edgar Winter.

Any person seriously into music has to check this dvd out. I think it is well over 2 hours long and seriously good. You can get it from Netflix.

Back
Top Bottom