• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Songs for the Southern USA folks

rjay

Rocket Surgeon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I am not a supporter of Confederate Flags nor can I speak kindly of the many repressive policies that existed in this part of the U.S.A.

But we should never take our eye off the fact that the south is made up mostly of people who are just trying to live life and get through the day. The Civil war happened and it affected people who, through geography, were on one side.

Two songs that captured that are these:

I am not a supporter of Confederate Flags nor can I speak kindly of the many repressive policies that existed in this part of the U.S.A.

But we should never take our eye off the fact that the south is made up mostly of people who are just trying to live life and get through the day. The Civil war happened and it affected people who, through geography, were on one side.

These are very nice songs, rjay, and I like both of them very much, especially Joan Baez's version of The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down.

The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down, is one of the best tunes ever written! :thumbs:

Hell, I'm going to play it now just to remind myself.

The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down, is one of the best tunes ever written! :thumbs:

Hell, I'm going to play it now just to remind myself.

you cannot hear it too often. Joan Baez's version was the first I heard, and it too was fantastic. I always err on the side of the originals though. So for me - it is The Band

Love it. Two songs by Canadians about the American south.

You noticed that eh?

:)

I've always liked that The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down, maybe the quintessential American ballad from that time, was written and performed by Canadians. Levon Helm aside- his voice is one thing that makes it a quintessional American song. He just sounds like Georgia or Alabama.

Back
Top Bottom