• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Songs, before my time, that we should remember, and pass to our kids.

rjay

Rocket Surgeon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
American heritage

It is not all sausage

In similar vein ...

The "REAL" National Anthem...or...what it would be if I had my choice:

Instead of being some old British drinking song,

To Anacreon in Heav'n, where he sat in full Glee,
A few Sons of Harmony sent a Petition,
That he their Inspirer and Patron would be;
When this answer arriv'd from the Jolly Old Grecian
"Voice, Fiddle, and Flute,
"no longer be mute,
"I'll lend you my Name and inspire you to boot,
"And, besides I'll instruct you, like me, to intwine
"The Myrtle of Venus with Bacchus's Vine."

...adapted to wartime lyrics, how about an impassioned prayer to celebrate all that is beautiful and graceful about America, a prayer of hope and vision, an entreaty to share love and generosity to all of good character and to appreciate the gifts given by our Creator?

"America the Beautiful", as performed by Ray Charles

If this doesn't stir your heart and get you going, you really are a Commie (LOL)

Roger miller reminded me of this one - Thanks Chomsky. :)

And the Statler brothers always makes me think of:

Music is funny that way.

Not before my time. If it was I would never know this song. I still love it.

Roger miller reminded me of this one - Thanks Chomsky. :)

No, thank you rjay! I love that song, and never hear it any more!

Seriously, does it get any better than this:

Playin' solitaire till dawn with a deck of fifty-one
Smokin' cigarettes and watchin' Captain Kangaroo
Now don't tell me I've nothin' to do

Here's something I badly miss: In the sixties in my city, on A.M. radio, you could hear songs like this ... alongside Motown ... alongside Sinatra ... alongside The Airplane ... alongside B.B. King ... alongside The Beatles ... alongside Johny Cash. All on one station! Because it was all pop music!

At least that's the way it was in my city. And it was a really great thing to be exposed to such variety and diversity in music, as a kid.

Somehow we lost this, and became segmented and sorted. And related to the subject matter of this forum, we've also done it in politics - which in my opinion is a root of our current problems. We're segmented & intolerant. Sadly.

Last edited:
No, thank you rjay! I love that song, and never hear it any more!

Seriously, does it get any better than this:

Playin' solitaire till dawn with a deck of fifty-one
Smokin' cigarettes and watchin' Captain Kangaroo
Now don't tell me I've nothin' to do

Here's something I badly miss: In the sixties in my city, on A.M. radio, you could here songs like this ... alongside Motown ... alongside Sinatra ... alongside The Airplane ... alongside B.B. King ... alongside The Beatles ... alongside Johny Cash. All on one station! Because it was all pop music!

At least that's the way it was in my city. And it was a really great thing to be exposed to such variety and diversity in music, as a kid.

Somehow we lost this, and became segmented and sorted. And related to the subject matter of this forum, we've also done it in politics - which in my opinion is a root of our current problems. We're segmented & intolerant. Sadly.

Well said. You bring a tear to my eye.

Well said. You bring a tear to my eye.
Well - if you really want to shed a tear, there's Bobby Goldsboro's "Honey", which to me sounds melodically similar to Kristofferson's "Jody and the Kid":

Well - if you really want to shed a tear, there's Bobby Goldsboro's "Honey", which to me sounds melodically similar to Kristofferson's "Jody and the Kid":

but what the heck

My last post

This song was made popular by the Animals. It was an old traditional song. The Animals had a big hit with it, but their version lost all of the meaning that came from the original song.

First of all they lost that it was female perspective.
first person song. Here is Dylan doing it 1961 - A version that keeping the integrity of the song. Hope those who have time to listen - enjoy. It is an American campfire classic.

Last edited:
father and daughter - not the topic, but the performers, in this case
When it comes to Sinatra, I'll just leave this here as I check out for the nite. Have a good one!

The Platters.

My last post

This song was made popular by the Animals. It was an old traditional song. The Animals had a big hit with it, but their version lost all of the meaning that came from the original song.

First of all they lost that it was female perspective.
first person song. Here is Dylan doing it 1961 - A version that keeping the integrity of the song. Hope those who have time to listen - enjoy. It is an American campfire classic.

Thanks, and you're so right here in your description. I couldn't access it through your link, but just found it on YouTube. I've heard it a long time ago, but not since and nearly forgot it. Thanks. Have a good nite!

One of the two greatest country singers ever. IMO.

Thanks, and you're so right here in your description. I couldn't access it through your link, but just found it on YouTube. I've heard it a long time ago, but not since and nearly forgot it. Thanks. Have a good nite!

you should be in bed by now

One of the two greatest country singers ever. IMO.

Maybe not the best country song ever, but he was an original, and he defined what country music was for at least the following twenty years. I love this stuff. I love true artists. Hank was one of those.

Early 1960s Folk Music was in the forefront. These guys knew and performed folk music. They used that talent and touched it up with vaudeville style comedy.
It worked.
Here is an early go at it. The humor is gentle but lots of it still stands up:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom