• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Son of former Libyan ruler Qadaffi runs for president

anatta

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
The only public sight of him that his fellow Libyans have had since he was captured during the fighting in 2011 was when he appeared via videolink before a Tripoli court that sentenced him to death for war crimes.

Despite that ruling, he never left the mountainous Zintan region, beyond the writ of the Tripoli authorities, where his captors later allowed him to go free.

Libya's military prosecutor, answerable to the unity government's defence ministry in Tripoli, confirmed it had written to the electoral commission to demand it put Gaddafi's candidacy on pause.

Libya needs a new government -but Unity is elusive with the Bengazi government ( Parliament from Tripoli in exile )
and the Tripoli UN imposed government in a long stalemated civil war

NATO- led by the US and hyped by Susan Rice and Hillary- did the usual regime change wit the usual predicable dire results for Libya
Russia and Germany get credit for not being culpable.

I'd have to look and see what Saif al-Islam al-Qadaffi is promising now that he is a candidate

Biden will see this as an excuse to run Hunter in 2024.

NATO- led by the US and hyped by Susan Rice and Hillary- did the usual regime change wit the usual predicable dire results for Libya
Russia and Germany get credit for not being culpable.

The US engaged as a result of UN obligation, not NATO. If the President could have stayed out of it, he would have (I hold that against him).

I don't think people will vote for him though.

The US engaged as a result of UN obligation, not NATO. If the President could have stayed out of it, he would have (I hold that against him).
The no fly zone -yes. but the regime change ( and call it what it was a brutal assassination due to US policy making qadaffi a "military target"
with Hillary shrieking "Qadaffi must go") is on NATO and the USA specifically

Seif al-Islam Gadhafi is ineligible because of previous convictions against him. He can appeal the committee's decision in court within the coming days.

Seif al-Islam was sentenced to death by a Tripoli court in 2015 for use of violence against protesters who were calling for his father to step down, but that ruling has since been called into question by Libya's rival authorities. He is also wanted by the International Criminal Court on charges of crimes against humanity related to the 2011 uprising against his father.

ibya's judiciary will have the final say on the list of candidates, the commission and U.N. Libya envoy Jan Kubis both said on Wednesday.

Gaddafi's lawyer, Khaled al-Zaidi, said in a video that armed men had raided the court in the southern city of Sebha, one of only three registration centres, and stopped him entering to lodge his client's appeal against disqualification.

The Justice Ministry in Tripoli said in a statement on its social media pages that an armed group had forced everyone to leave the court building.

he U.N. mission in Libya condemned on Friday an attack by armed men on an appeals court as it was set to re-examine an earlier decision that disqualified the son of longtime dictator Moammar Gadhafi from running for president.

On Thursday, armed men surrounded the court in the southern town of Sabha and prevented judges from convening to look into Seif al-Islam Gadhafi's appeal.
Earlier, the country's electoral body had deemed Seif al-Islam ineligible to take part in the presidential race set for next month
, citing his previous convictions.

The United Nations expressed concerns Monday over the forced closure of a Libya appeals court that is meant to decide whether the son of the late dictator Moammar Gadhafi can run for president.

The UN mission to Libya said in a statement that it is following reports that an armed group had ‘violently obstructed’ the functioning of a court in the city of Sabha in the southwest of the country.

this election is not going to change the stalemate -but it pleases the UN

What part of the US constitution says the president is the UN’s bitch?

Sounds like Trump was much better then Obama indeed from what you’re saying. Evidently you believe that if the blue helmets give orders we are supposed to do it

I don't think people will vote for him though.
I don’t know. I think the vast majority of Libyans would take Qaddafi back in a heartbeat if they could.

I don’t know. I think the vast majority of Libyans would take Qaddafi back in a heartbeat if they could.
absolutely, although regionalism is a great determinative most Libyan want the stability and high standard of living under Qadaffi

No, they wouldn't.
You think the poor and working classes of Libya think the last 10 years have been better for them then the 10 before that?

Mabrouk Alikassak, 23, was a child when the elder Gaddafi was overthrown. But Alikassak listens closely when his parents speak nostalgically about the days before the revolution and the turmoil that followed. Now, Alikassak says he thinks “we probably need to go back to the same regime.”
“For 10 years, we haven’t had anything,” he said, pausing from his work selling traditional men’s clothing in a small shop in Tripoli’s old town. “My heart is leaning toward Saif al-Islam.”

You think the poor and working classes of Libya think the last 10 years have been better for them then the 10 before that?
I am pretty sure they had enough of that murderer and his clan.

Back
Top Bottom