• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Son of fallen soldier Afghanistan asks for information about father

Peter King

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
CfmtOC_WQAArtwz.jpg

His dad died in 2007 when a armored vehicle he sat in overturned during a river crossing in Tarin Kowt Uruzgan. The child has never seen his father and now is full of questions so he sent in this letter which was photographed and put online by the minister of Defense Jeanine Hennis with the request for people to send in information to the ministry.

The letter says:

Kerkrade 2-14-2016

Dear family, friend and co-workers of Rob, I am the son of Robert Donkers. I am Stan and I am 8 years old.

Can I ask you something about daddy? Because I never got to know him and you did!

* What did daddy like?
* what did daddy think was cool
* Did daddy love animals?
* What did daddy like to eat?
* Did he do good in school?

Can people also tell me other things about my dad? And stories about him! And it would also be OK if you have pictures or video's with him in it.

Thanks if you write me back.

Greetings Stan

What a touching letter and an attempt of a young boy to find out more about his father's life inside the armed forces by his co-workers. And a good thing that the head of the DOD took the time to spread this request so that as many people as possible get to read it and possibly send in footage/pictures/information and stories.

Because this is what is the other side of armed conflict is, young children from fallen soldiers who are full of questions for information about the parent they lost in the war. That is very important because it is very difficult for the surviving parent to correctly comment on what the deceased parents life truly was, during that parents time in the armed force

One of the many many many MANY reasons I hate war and sometimes get so angry at it that I wish to hell that we'd just send all our politicians over to the ME and then nuke the entire ME (while the politicians are there of course) just to get it over with. Of course when I get rational again I know how stupid that sounds and would be. But still, can't help but think that on occasion. It's so utterly frustrating and sad beyond belief that children like this one are going to grow up without their father/mother because of some stupid ideologies and power hungry idiots.

One of the many many many MANY reasons I hate war and sometimes get so angry at it that I wish to hell that we'd just send all our politicians over to the ME and then nuke the entire ME (while the politicians are there of course) just to get it over with. Of course when I get rational again I know how stupid that sounds and would be. But still, can't help but think that on occasion. It's so utterly frustrating and sad beyond belief that children like this one are going to grow up without their father/mother because of some stupid ideologies and power hungry idiots.

It's unfortunate we can't all live in peace, but sometimes war is nessecary, to stop a Hitler or a Pol Pot or a Stalin. It's never easy for those who actually have to do the fighting, and leads to tragedy.

The mother of the child has let it known that the child has received dozens of responses through email regarding his request to get information about his father and also through social media the response has been getting a lot of attention too.

Back
Top Bottom