• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Something is Happening to Earth's Magnetic Field

sanman

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Something really weird is happening to the Earth's magnetic field (and don't tell me it's Putin behind it):

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-00007-1

The Earth's magnetic field has started wandering around in dramatically different ways, and was found to have actually jumped back in 2016.

I wonder why it's happening?

Something really weird is happening to the Earth's magnetic field (and don't tell me it's Putin behind it):

The Earth's magnetic field has started wandering around in dramatically different ways, and was found to have actually jumped back in 2016.

Some scientists.think the poles reverse ever so many years

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Various patches of the Earths magnetic core spontaneously reverse every 12 years or so.

When enough core patches reverse, the entire Earth magnetic field flips. This phenomena occurs about every 780,000 years.

Various patches of the Earths magnetic core spontaneously reverse every 12 years or so.

When enough core patches reverse, the entire Earth magnetic field flips. This phenomena occurs about every 780,000 years.

When's the last time this happened?

Okay. It's the Chinese.

So it's begun. The Polar north is going to be the polar south. It happens on an average every 13000 years. Sometimes the change is temporary, an incomplete (last time it happened was 40K years ago), and sometimes there is a total change lasting much longer.

When's the last time this happened?

These are called Geomagnetic Reversal's and the last total reversal occurred 780,000 years ago. Sometimes the flip and flip back only lasts a few hundred years.

This process is poorly understood. We're due for another complete flip of a long duration right about now if past trends hold up.

Back
Top Bottom