• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Something gun grabbers just don't get... LOGIC.

It talks about why we are discussing a tool (gun) used in violence rather than the causes of violence. If we actually look at the causes of violence and understand them, we can begin to really address it. Instead of talking about a tool.

Hell ya we should discuss the causes of violence and of crime in general, but we also can't ignore the obvious that guns are used to kill people at alarmingly high rates in this country. I mean can you really tell me that in a discussion about shootings with hand guns for example, we should never mention the hand gun itself?

A gun is weapon that was designed for one purpose and that is to kill.

If you don't think so then why don't you go try to fix your car or do a little home repair with your gun?

Guns are tools not designed to do either of those things just like pliers aren't designed to saw through wood.

Guns are tools not designed to do either of those things just like pliers aren't designed to saw through wood.

Tools are designed and used to build and fix things. The gun was designed to kill and that is why it's called a "weapon".

A gun is weapon that was designed for one purpose and that is to kill.

If you don't think so then why don't you go try to fix your car or do a little home repair with your gun?
triple facepalm.jpg No matter how many times this stupid "guns are designed to kill" argument is regurgitated it will never be true, however it does sound a bit more dumb every time it gets discredited. Guns are designed to fire a projectile, nothing more or less, whether the projectile tumbles in flight, or stays straighter longer on target is based on the rifling design of the barrel. Hammers are made to multiply concussive force, wrenches are made to provide torque, blades are made to cut, and guns are made to fire bullets. INTENT is up to the user, cause anything can kill. Now, this has been explained to you before by multiple people so hanging on to it is not advised.

A gun is a not a "tool"...it's a weapon.

So is a screw driver then. Plenty of people have been killed by one.

Weapons are tools.

Indeed they are.

Yes a gun is both a tool and a weapon, both by design. A screwdriver is also a tool by design but not a weapon by design although it can be used as well, and a wrench is also a tool by design but not a weapon by design but it can be used as well. However a screwdriver is not a wrench even though both are tools and neither are weapons, by design, and likewise a gun is not a screwdriver or a wrench even though all three are tools.

The tool vs. weapon debate serves no purpose and leads nowhere, we all know that a gun is something, tool, weapon, both, whatever, designed to kill something that's the important feature and the only relevant one, you can't say that a gun which doesn't have the ability to project lethal force is useful as a tool or a weapon.

You use a gun to "kill" a deer.

So? People have used screwdrivers to kill people. And hammers, fists, ball bats, lead pipes, steak knives. And about a million other things like rope, string, cars, gas and fire, feet, rocks, arrows.
Ban them all?

Tools are designed and used to build and fix things. The gun was designed to kill and that is why it's called a "weapon".

Tools are designed and made to perform specific functions, not only to build and fix. A gun is just as much a tool as a screwdriver or hammer, which also, btw, can be used as weapons.

Tools are designed and used to build and fix things. The gun was designed to kill.

That's not either the dictionary definition of tool nor its common usage.

Tools are designed and made to perform specific functions, not only to build and fix. A gun is just as much a tool as a screwdriver or hammer, which also, btw, can be used as weapons.
By her logic a jackhammer "fixes" concrete, it's only job is to break up old concrete so new can be laid out. Or the "jaws of life" is designed to fix your chassis on your car, when really it's a gigantic can opener made specifically to cut metal.

Another thread dies a horrible death of circular arguments and thread drift.
I just want sensible screwdriver and hammer controls.:roll:

So? People have used screwdrivers to kill people. And hammers, fists, ball bats, lead pipes, steak knives. And about a million other things like rope, string, cars, gas and fire, feet, rocks, arrows.
Ban them all?

If people kill people then the last thing you want to do is put a gun that was designed to kill in their hand. Really, you stand a much better chance of survival if they only have a screw driver.

The only controls that I want are tools that are well-crafted and high quality. ;)

Screw drivers and hammers are tools that are used to build and fix things. You can't say that about guns.

Tools are designed and used to build and fix things.

No. Tools are implements designed to let you do things you can't with your natural attributes.

If people kill people then the last thing you want to do is put a gun that was designed to kill in their hand. Really, you stand a much better chance of survival if they only have a screw driver.
Explained already about the design.

Screw drivers and hammers are tools that are used to build and fix things. You can't say that about guns.
Someone kicks my door in and I defend home and family. That means I fixed the problem.

That's not either the dictionary definition of tool nor its common usage.

Then I suggest you look up the definition of a gun.

Tell that to the 70 year old woman fighting off a 20 year old rapist. Or a young mother defending her children. Or a disabled vet fighting off a group of thugs.

Someone kicks my door in and I defend home and family. That means I fixed the problem.

You fixed the problem by using a weapon that was designed to kill.

Tell that to the 70 year old woman fighting off a 20 year old rapist. Or a young mother defending her children. Or a disabled vet fighting off a group of thugs.
Never mind that fact that nothing is "designed to kill", that is simplistic, illogical, gun grabber nonsense designed to replace logical and fact based debate with empty fear mongered emotional rhetoric. The funny thing about emotionalism is you only have to demonstrate a negative, not actually defend your position.

You fixed the problem by using a weapon that was designed to kill.
Hmm, considering I sometimes look into becoming a smith I have never found any information stating that "it's potential to kill" is a factor when designing the gun, All I can find is pressure and spacing to make it functional. Interesting, an anti-gunner constantly cornered on the issue and proven lacking on the subject states something the pros do not, hmmm, guess I'll go with the pro opinion.

There's nothing wrong with someone defending themselves and using a weapon that was designed to kill is much more reliable and effective than using a tool such as a pair of pliers or a screw driver.

Back
Top Bottom