• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Someone catches themself on fire burning the US flag; would you try to help?

Someone catches themself on fire burning the US flag; would you try to help?

• Total voters
The guy's demise would not be the fault or responsibilty of anyone but himself.

But this is true of any kind of accident. Suppose instead a man tripped and fell into a bonfire. Would you still just shrug and say "oh well, it's no one's fault but his own" while he burns alive? Just because an accident isn't your fault doesn't mean bystanders don't have some obligation to help as they're able.

The real reason I suspect you don't want to help the guy is not because he accidentally cause it himself but because he was doing something you don't approve of - burning a flag. That it's some kind of justice for his wrongdoing. But then you need to ask yourself whether a person who does this - burns a flag - truly deserves to be burned alive for it?

Easy peezy. Put them out. Just because they're being disrespectful doesn't give me the right to see someone possibly burn to death. That to me on a personal level is murder. A far more heinous crime. Note: Yes. I know. Legally speaking its not murder. But I would FEEL like it was for myself. I wouldn't judge anyone else as a murderer if they decide differently.

Um, I would judge the absolute bejeezus out of that person for not saving the flag burner. Revered symbol or not, if you put a flag above another person's life, you officially give up your humanity card, sfaic.

And before anyone attempts to be "clever," yes, I've already considered alternate scenarios that would test my principles.

Last edited:
Of course I'd put the fire out. If you wouldn't you're a goddamned monster.

It's only a piece of cloth. If you'd let someone burn for that, I'd suggest you're as much a whackjob as s/he is.

With respect, you would have graduated beyond that person's insanity by a fair amount.

I'm horrified that the polling result for the first option is any less than, say, 98%.

With respect, you would have graduated beyond that person's insanity by a fair amount.

I'm horrified that the polling result for the first option is any less than, say, 98%.
Agreed. It's messed up.

If a bucket of water were not available, I would certainly be willing to spit on the person. Actually, I strongly support the right of anyone to burn the American flag. Flag-burning is speech protected by the First Amendment, and government should not be able to punish it. But that does not mean I would have any sympathy for the bastard if an infuriated bystander ignored the legal consequences and knocked his teeth out.

Last edited:
A bucket of water is not always available, but I would certainly be willing to spit on the person, if that would help at all.

If no water were available, would you use Mr. Johnson to put out the fire? :lol:

Agreed. It's messed up.

If it makes you feel any better, you should combine option one and option five and there's only two options that are about not helping at all.

If it makes you feel any better, you should combine option one and option five and there's only two options that are about not helping at all.

What's the functional difference between 1 and 5? Screw those who voted for any other option.

What's the functional difference between 1 and 5? Screw those who voted for any other option.

Calm down.

There isn't much difference between one and five, except that five doesn't specify any particular type of help or any kind of time frame. Option one is just more specific about the action one would take and when.

I would probably use the water to put out the flag and piss out the fire on the flag burner. It sounds harsh, but at least I offer some kind of solution.:mrgreen:

Calm down.

There isn't much difference between one and five, except that five doesn't specify any particular type of help or any kind of time frame. Option one is just more specific about the action one would take and when.

So what would be a possible avenue of action that would fall under the fifth option?

So what would be a possible avenue of action that would fall under the fifth option?

Eh, I didn't really intend for there to be any great difference between the two. I just added simple yes/no options in case someone didn't like or agree with the commentary.

Eh, I didn't really intend for there to be any great difference between the two. I just added simple yes/no options in case someone didn't like or agree with the commentary.

Okay, so I'll lump those two into the same group, which leaves, as of this post, 20.69% of the voting membership here who have no moral compass.

Been some conversation about flags and flag burning and this is just a hypo I thought interesting. You're out walking with your bucket of water (as everyone does sometime throughout the day) and you happen upon an angry protest complete with flag burning. The fire from the flag actually ignites the person lighting it and very soon, his clothes will be fully ablaze if someone doesn't act. What would you do, what WOULD you do?

poll on the way

Ok, top 4 include a little commentary which, I learned is not always so appreciated, so included a yes and a no with no comments. Happy now - you know who you are? :2razz:

I'm proud of everyones answers on the forum. Good job making the right call guys.

Okay, so I'll lump those two into the same group, which leaves, as of this post, 20.69% of the voting membership here who have no moral compass.

Don't look at it like that, look at is as, so far, 0% have voted for the outright "no" options.

Been some conversation about flags and flag burning and this is just a hypo I thought interesting. You're out walking with your bucket of water (as everyone does sometime throughout the day) and you happen upon an angry protest complete with flag burning. The fire from the flag actually ignites the person lighting it and very soon, his clothes will be fully ablaze if someone doesn't act. What would you do, what WOULD you do?

poll on the way

I probably spent more time--maybe 3 seconds--looking at the poll than I would have in responding to someone on fire.

What I like about not being a kid anymore is in actually knowing what I would do in various emergency situations. In one like this, I wouldn't even think; I'd act.

Yes, people who burn flags are contemptible. But if you're hesitating over a human being versus a piece of cloth on fire, you have a problem.

This is the first I have ever heard of the cutting into squares. Do you have a reference for that? But burning I was aware of. I work for a thrift store and any flags that aren't good enough for resale I take home to retire.

You know, I just googled it to get a link for you, and I came up empty. I swear this was how we retired flags in the scouts...maybe the rules have changed?

poll on the way

Ok, top 4 include a little commentary which, I learned is not always so appreciated, so included a yes and a no with no comments. Happy now - you know who you are? :2razz:

Yeah, I'd help. I'd more than chuckle at their expense after the fact, however. lol

Last edited:

poll on the way

I would put the flat burner out.I don't think being a anti-American piece of **** should cost someone their life. I would probably laugh though.

EaIyy.png

poll on the way

Wouldn't I be violating that persons civil rights under the first amendment by putting out the fire? I would hate to stand in the way of free expression.

Wouldn't I be violating that persons civil rights under the first amendment by putting out the fire? I would hate to stand in the way of free expression.

You are not the government. Congress can't, you can.

Back
Top Bottom