• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Some words of FL (mostly senior) political wisdom

choiceone

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Impressed by these varied letters to the Orlando Sentinel from readers on why they're Democrats, Independents, and Republicans (note: this is alphabetical order), I wanted to offer them for comment.

Sorry, I failed on the link the first time.
Thank you.
I read through them all and can say that the reasons for being a republican are far more irrational/wrong-headed than those who are Democrat. I would be happy to argue/challenge anyone who disagrees.

Thank you.
I read through them all and can say that the reasons for being a republican are far more irrational/wrong-headed than those who are Democrat. I would be happy to argue/challenge anyone who disagrees.

I also read them, and agree with your assessment.

I love the "Republican" guy that wants "government to leave him alone" other than military and Police.

Sure, we'll just allow industries to "regulate themselves", thats been shown to work well many many times in the past. Repubs are flat earners, metaphorically speaking, and the Dems tent includes everyone else.

Of course...the DNC certainly has some very serious problems and issues right now as well, we've allowed bribe money to kill our representation in our own government.

I also read them, and agree with your assessment.

I love the "Republican" guy that wants "government to leave him alone" other than military and Police.

Sure, we'll just allow industries to "regulate themselves", thats been shown to work well many many times in the past. Repubs are flat earners, metaphorically speaking, and the Dems tent includes everyone else.

Of course...the DNC certainly has some very serious problems and issues right now as well, we've allowed bribe money to kill our representation in our own government.
well said-----------money has always been too powerful of an influence, but it is reality through history. It is still up to the voters regardless. People need to be educated on the point the they should NEVER base their votes on ads and promises by politicians. The only really sound way to choose is by finding out who is giving them money to run, and most importantly, what have they done in the past. What they have done before they will do again.

This one is fun because it show that the voter, no matter his claims, didn't actually reasearch anything. He just read some talking points and assumed they would actually work towards those.

Republicans offer better platform​

After 62 years of voting for the best candidate after my own research, I mostly voted for the party that represents: Very little government intervention; low taxes; respect for the Constitution and Declaration of Independence, and leaders who govern as if they were the Bible; resolve to keep us safe and prosperous.

Those reasons and principles happen to spell the Republican Party (at the local, state, and federal levels).

Thank you.
That's no surprise. Emotion is more powerful than reason, and Republicans are more skilled than Democrats at appealing to emotion.

well said-----------money has always been too powerful of an influence, but it is reality through history. It is still up to the voters regardless. People need to be educated on the point the they should NEVER base their votes on ads and promises by politicians. The only really sound way to choose is by finding out who is giving them money to run, and most importantly, what have they done in the past. What they have done before they will do again.

In other words: RIP America.

Enter: 'Murca!!!!

We're already here.

Thank you.
Yes, this impressed me. Back in 1970, I was at a college in a small town that had a 24 hour radio call-in show about the Vietnam War once, and I remember thinking that all the young callers gave rational/intellectual reasons and the older callers emotional reasons for their opposition to or support of the war. Those older callers would have been more from the town and the younger ones more from the college, so they could readily have split up in this party way. It seems as if things don't change.

Back
Top Bottom