• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Some say that only French red wine is drinkable - do you agree?

For me it is like this ...

• I have never heard that - and I do not agre

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • I have never heard that - but I agree

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have heard that - and I do not agree

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • I have heard that - and I agree

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Rumpel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

I have heard that often!
Only too often! From snobs.
Especially from German snobs with too much money and no real knowledge of wine.

And I do not agree.

I have now clicked for: I have heard that - and I do not agree

And: I am really interested in your comments!:)

Red...White, either... Doesn't matter, California wines are the best in the world now.. Have been for a few decades.

Yes, there are still some very good French, Italian, etc wines.. But overall California is now the mecca for wine making.

With UK summers becoming warmer we've been having more success with winemaking.
Some UK wines are starting to win top international wine awards

A record-breaking year for English wine at global awards

Not bad considering the UK isn't a traditional wine powerhouse like France, Itally the US or Australia.

Well, I am not sure where the Wine Mecca is - or whether there is one single Wine Mecca at all.

To my mind there are a lot of equally fine wine meccas. :)

Red...White, either... Doesn't matter, California wines are the best in the world now.. Have been for a few decades.

I would say: No wines are the best of the world.
Many wines from all over the world are excellent in their own right.

Voters 2

We could do with more voters.

A blind test would be interesting!

i hadn't heard that. i have nothing against French red wine, but i guess i'm just not that picky.

Who says that? Certain French people?

There is bad French wine. There is excellent French wine. There is bad American wine. There is excellent American wine. So on and so forth.

I tend not to like Chilean. A lot of them have this rather spicy element that doesn't really work with wine for me.

Australian - at least the ones American importers bring here - tends to be a bit to 'big and fruity' as it were.

What I really miss is the way wine tasted in general when I was maybe 12 years old and they'd give me half a shot glass of wine with a Passover or Thanksgiving dinner. Not enough to even affect me, but just a little teeny bit so it felt more like a celebration. It tasted sharper, like a cordial in the medicinal sense. But not acidic-sharp. It just had this clang that went away later on, when in my senior year of high school my parents occasionally poured a glass at dinners for me.

I waa a Cali wine drinker but now I lean more towards Australian and NewZeland. By far the best rwd wine was the ones I used to get from a neighbor who retired from a local winery. He also could brew up a mean beer when the mood struck.

Who says that? Certain French people?

No!
For the French that is so self-evident, that it is not even worth mentioning.

It is usually stupid German wine snobs who maintain, that only French red wine was drinkable.
That way they think they show themselves as "connaissuers", when in reality they are just plain stupid.

The French are pretentious about many food things, but worst about wine. I recommend the movie Bottle Shock.

You are right there! :)

I will now have a look at the Bottle Shock! :)

The Paris Wine Tasting of 1976, also known as the Judgment of Paris

The Paris Wine Tasting of 1976, also known as the Judgment of Paris, was a wine competition organized in Paris on 24 May 1976 by Steven Spurrier, a British wine merchant, in which French judges carried out two blind tasting comparisons: one of top-quality Chardonnays and another of red wines (Bordeaux wines from France and Cabernet Sauvignon wines from California).[1] A Californian wine rated best in each category, which caused surprise as France was generally regarded as being the foremost producer of the world's best wines. Spurrier sold only French wine and believed that the California wines would not win.[2]

The event's informal name "Judgment of Paris" is an allusion to the ancient Greek myth.

More about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judgment_of_Paris_(wine)

Great! (y) (y) (y)

It's so ridiculous and outdated I didnt even bother with the poll.

California, Washington, Oregon, Italy, Argentina, Chile, Australia...all have great reds.

Back
Top Bottom