• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Some say that only French red wine is drinkable - do you agree?

For me it is like this ...

• I have never heard that - and I do not agre

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • I have never heard that - but I agree

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have heard that - and I do not agree

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • I have heard that - and I agree

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I like wines from all over, and many varietals have distinct differences depending on the terroir. An Australian Shiraz and a California or South African Syrah can be completely different. It's really important for the winemaker to know as much as possible about the environment the grapes developed in, and to choose the right varietal for the right location.

While New York and California took the early lead in American production, the wines of Oregon and Washington hold their own against some of the best known makers - mostly, though, on a smaller production scale. 2020 has been a tough year for me, personally, as a red wine lover, because for such a long time wine tasting was just not available. I love to travel the various wine regions, tasting all along the way. Especially because so many of the small producers only sell locally.

Some of the French wine houses have remained exceptional, but others have faded - as is true in any industry. To be honest, I haven't bought a French wine in nearly a decade, now. The local products are just that good.

It would be nice of you to spare a second and bother. :)
Done, but please dont chop up sentences to elicit responses. Context is important. And I stand by my entire first sentence.

I like wines from all over, and many varietals have distinct differences depending on the terroir. An Australian Shiraz and a California or South African Syrah can be completely different. It's really important for the winemaker to know as much as possible about the environment the grapes developed in, and to choose the right varietal for the right location.

Absolutely! I actually prefer whites, so my best example is Pinot gris/grigio.

Terroir is huge. Pinot gris is the American version, Pinot grigio is the European version (generally Italian). Same grape, different growing conditions and different terroir. The Pinot grigios are too sweet for me, the OR Pinot gris are heaven.

Past tense. :(
I know. He was one of my favorite actors. Sexiest villian ever: Hans Gruber. (new challenger: Tom Hiddleston's Loki)

I know. He was one of my favorite actors. Sexiest villian ever: Hans Gruber. (new challenger: Tom Hiddleston's Loki)
Male villain, yeah, though he has competition.

For some reason it's much more cool for women to be both hot and ruthless, eg Sharon Stone's Catherine Tramell. Still, among men there is a slew of vampires, including a 30ish Tom Cruise, the before-the-mask Anikin Skywalker, but I would go with Patrick Bateman (Christian Bale) in American Psycho.

Is Jaimie Lannister a villain or not?

Male villain, yeah, though he has competition.

For some reason it's much more cool for women to be both hot and ruthless, eg Sharon Stone's Catherine Tramell. Still, among men there is a slew of vampires, including a 30ish Tom Cruise, the before-the-mask Anikin Skywalker, but I would go with Patrick Bateman (Christian Bale) in American Psycho.

Is Jaimie Lannister a villain or not?
If I was to look at women villains...Cate Blanchet in many evil guises, including Hela. Or younger Lena Olin in Romeo is Bleeding. But Christian Bale is hot in any role, I liked him as Batman. Sean Bean also a gorgeous villain. Tom Cruise is a zero for me tho.

If Jamie Lannister is Nicolas Walder whatever, sure...and he's a great bad guy in a suit in "The Other Woman." Totally fun movie...I recommend.

Absolutely! I actually prefer whites, so my best example is Pinot gris/grigio.

Terroir is huge. Pinot gris is the American version, Pinot grigio is the European version (generally Italian). Same grape, different growing conditions and different terroir. The Pinot grigios are too sweet for me, the OR Pinot gris are heaven.

And do not forget the German version: Grau-Burgunder = Grey Burgundy
Actually I prefer Weiß-Burgunder = White Burgundy.

The French think that they know all about wine.
And that's again one of their many mistakes in the field of wine! :cool:

Imho the French make exactly 4 mistakes and a half, if it comes to wine.
By and by I will list those mistakes.

@ Mistake ONE

In France they hardly do wine the honour to value it for its own sake.
Wine is seen as a servant of the food.
The eternal question is always: "Which wine goes with which food?"

Here in Germany we often value wine for its own sake.
And enjoy a glass of good wine also apart from a big meal.

Some say that only French red wine is drinkable - do you agree?
Says who? Certainly no one who knows anything about wine.

Certainly no one who knows anything about wine.

You are right!
But some do - believe you me!
Usually stupid snobs who know nothing about wine - but pretend to be "connaisseurs".

Mistake TWO:

The French usually care more about which Château the wine comes from - and less about the grape variety.

I am more interested whether I am drinking a Merlot or a Cabernet Sauvignon or a Pinot Noir etc etc -
and not so much whether the wine comes from Château X or Y or Z or Mullère or Meyère or from Château Stupidly-Overpriced-Snobby-Petrüss - or some such.

You are right!
But some do - believe you me!
Usually stupid snobs who know nothing about wine - but pretend to be "connaisseurs".
Sounds more like a poser who wants people to think of them as a wine snob. Most wine snobs would not be caught dead saying something as blatantly ridiculous as only French reds are drinkable.

Sounds more like a poser who wants people to think of them as a wine snob. Most wine snobs would not be caught dead saying something as blatantly ridiculous as only French reds are drinkable.

Depends how you define "wine snob".

MISTAKE THREE:

The French usually drink French wine only.
For them it goes without saying that wines from other countries can only be inferior.

Back
Top Bottom