• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Some Religions Must Be False

alphamale

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Consider religions logically - either they are all false, or some of them are false. For example, take Hinduism and Christianity. They have very distinct, contradictory ideas. Hinduism, eg, posits Ganesh the Elephant God - not accepted by christianity. So either millions of Christians or millions of Hindus are worshipping something that doesn't exist.

alphamale said:
Consider religions logically - either they are all false, or some of them are false. For example, take Hinduism and Christianity. They have very distinct, contradictory ideas. Hinduism, eg, posits Ganesh the Elephant God - not accepted by christianity. So either millions of Christians or millions of Hindus are worshipping something that doesn't exist.

Why is it not possible that they both worship different facets of the same divine source? God is infinite and omnipresent...too much for the human mind to comprehend. Surely, He has the capability of making his earthyl avatars and human percieved images agreeable to the archetypes inherent in different cultures.

Hell why can't they be worshipping completely different gods.

LogicalReason said:

That is a distinct possibility. Even the book of Genesis refers to the Elohim...which is "cousel of gods". The Yaweh God of the old testament was at one time just a small agricultural deity after all.

Captain America said:
David Gilmour is God.

I beg to differ. Billy Gibbons....is God.
And Dusty Hill is the Messiah.

"He's our kind of guy." -- Frank Beard to Billy Gibbons after Beard introduced himself to Dusty Hill in a bar. Hill passed out drunk before returning Beard's greeting.--1969
http://www.famoustexans.com/zztop.htm

WHy must there exist a devine being?
Religions say that god exhists and created man. I say man existed and created the idea of a supernatrual omnipotent being to explain for that which man can not explain.

jallman said:
Why is it not possible that they both worship different facets of the same divine source? God is infinite and omnipresent...too much for the human mind to comprehend. Surely, He has the capability of making his earthyl avatars and human percieved images agreeable to the archetypes inherent in different cultures.

that makes sense when discussing something like the trinity, but not when comparing hinduism and christianity. christianity and hinduism say things about divinity and the nature of the universe that are directly contradictory.

I worship Matthew McConaughey every time I close my eyes. (drools).

LogicalReason said:

The Old Testament is filled with descriptions in which he (God) refers to himself in the plural.

alphamale said:

False dichotomy. They could all be wrong. Or partially wrong.

jallman said:

The God of the Bible refers to himself as "us", whereas the God of Islam doesn't. Muhammed was not a prophet of the Bible God.

alphamale said:

What always amazes me is how similar so many religions are all throughout history.

All centralized religions that require an interrpreter for the individual and god are bogus. Thier only purpose control.

talloulou said:
What always amazes me is how similar so many religions are all throughout history.

I think it is fair to say the one of the main reasons for this is the obvious adaptations of other religions.

As for Hindu gods being a different form as the same christian deity, I would disagree. As others have pointed out there are instances in the Bible where there are hints of there being multiple gods. Jewish version of the 10 Commandments " You shall have no other gods but me." Seems to suggest there are other gods but to believe in or to worship any other is blasphemy.

I personally believe all religions are false, but that is one mans opinion.

LittleMammoth said:
As for Hindu gods being a different form as the same christian deity, I would disagree. As others have pointed out there are instances in the Bible where there are hints of there being multiple gods. Jewish version of the 10 Commandments " You shall have no other gods but me." Seems to suggest there are other gods but to believe in or to worship any other is blasphemy.

Yep, if they are the same God, that doesn't say much about his "loving "characteristics. Arabs are required by Allah to kill the "infidels" or non-believers, the Bible God commanded the Israelites to kill those who worship other Gods. So, if they're the same, Christians would kill anyone who worships Allah, and vice-versa.

I personally believe all religions are false, but that is one mans opinion.

Agreed. The mere fact that all religions claim to have the "truth" is enough reason for me not to buy into them. Why would a perfect God encase the truth in just 1 religion?

kal-el said:
Agreed. The mere fact that all religions claim to have the "truth" is enough reason for me not to buy into them. Why would a perfect God encase the truth in just 1 religion?
Not entirely true. Only religions that stem from Abrahamism make such a claim. Eastern Religions (ie. Shindao, Buddism, Daoism) do nothing of the sort.

jfuh said:
Not entirely true. Only religions that stem from Abrahamism make such a claim. Eastern Religions (ie. Shindao, Buddism, Daoism) do nothing of the sort.

Are you saying Islam or any other religion openly claims it's a false religion? That's not very enticing.

kal-el said:
Are you saying Islam or any other religion openly claims it's a false religion? That's not very enticing.
What are you saying?

jfuh said:
What are you saying?

Well if I'm gauging it right, you're saying only Abrahamic religions claim the truth, right? Then all others don't claim this. Then why even have any other religions then?

kal-el said:
Well if I'm gauging it right, you're saying only Abrahamic religions claim the truth, right? Then all others don't claim this. Then why even have any other religions then?
Only Abrahamic religions lay claim to the absolute truth and that anything else are falsehoods.
Eastern religions (not all others) claim that there is no absolute truth and that only through self-enlightenment can you realize the truths of yourself. example: Lao zi (daoism) "a white horse is not a horse" What is that supposed to mean? To each person that would have a different significance, no absolutes, just whatever you interrpret it to be then it is the truth to you.
Abrahamism, otherwise known as Islam, Christianity, and Juddism all spew the "absolute truth". Believe in my religion or burn in hell, die by the sword, whatever.

How many religions have been lost though before people really began to have easy access to different towns etc cultural exchanges took places that dismissed religions of only local existance were converted into the major world religions judaism,christianity,islam,hinduism and buddhism.

There really just taken from an even bigger bunch of religions.

jfuh said:
Only Abrahamic religions lay claim to the absolute truth and that anything else are falsehoods.
Eastern religions (not all others) claim that there is no absolute truth and that only through self-enlightenment can you realize the truths of yourself. example: Lao zi (daoism) "a white horse is not a horse" What is that supposed to mean? To each person that would have a different significance, no absolutes, just whatever you interrpret it to be then it is the truth to you.
Abrahamism, otherwise known as Islam, Christianity, and Juddism all spew the "absolute truth". Believe in my religion or burn in hell, die by the sword, whatever.

O, ok. And about Christianity. There have been hundreds of organized religions before and after.

My religion is the only TRUE belief and anyone who doesnt believe what I believe will burn in a lake of fire for eternity. Membership is only $19.99 a month.

Back
Top Bottom